Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pub dissicuon issue

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I receive Christmas Cards and Greetings from Muslims, and have seen Muslims going through the checkout at Waitrose with Christmas Cards, wrapping paper, devorations, Christmas Cakes etc etc. If i lived in a country which was predominantly of another faith, i would do the same reciprocally, and would not see it as hypocritical.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
More relevant is do they believe in Father Christmas.
When the Ottoman Caliphate threw the Greeks out of what is now the Turkish Med the church and tomb of Father Christmas became part of Turkey.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Dotes

Is it religiously okay for Muslims to celebrate Christmas?

Couple of anecdotes, I have to work in Yorkshire now and then, and one point I stayed in Ilkey, which is a lovely lovely place by the way. Anyroad, I needed a cab from hotel to get to station around lunchtime I the week, and receptionist told me I would have to wait over an hour. I was astounded, then she explained it was Eid so no local mini cabs or taxis were running. I had to wait so she could get one from Leeds, I kid you not. We had a good laugh about diversity in the cab industry and she then said it is helpful at Christmas because they are always running the full service 24 hours.

I also worked with a Muslim born in UK who was fully observant, but westernised in dress. He would always seek to work through the holiday time and save days for Eid, which he was allowed to do.

Add that to the mix.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The British Yuletide thing is Scandinavian but i take your point we should go back to our pagan roots and enjoy religious freedom.

its preserved in Scandinavia but Yuletide was common to all Germanic peoples and parts of the celebration remained in north europe for centuries after Christianity. big feast, 12 days, tree in the house are from Yule, which follow the winter solctice. if i recall the acedemic evidence birth of Christ is all over the place, March or Sepetmeber or November, but never end of December/mid-winter. it would have been a significant thing to note in any account, that his birth was at the new year.

working with a number of Hindus, i observe Diwali each year by scoffing some samosa and pakora brought in. its easy to adopt religious celebrations when theres some food involved.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fictional? Historians are conclusivly in agreement that Jesus existed, sparkly lights and tinsel, amongst other things are often used to celebrate his birth ad subsequent life.

Historians are CONCLUSIVELY in agreement that jesus existed? That has to be one of the daftest remarks I've ever seen on here. There is an argument for the case. That is all.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I receive Christmas Cards and Greetings from Muslims, and have seen Muslims going through the checkout at Waitrose with Christmas Cards, wrapping paper, devorations, Christmas Cakes etc etc. If i lived in a country which was predominantly of another faith, i would do the same reciprocally, and would not see it as hypocritical.

Used to celebrate Dewali with Indian friends in Durban. They even closed the local schools for it was a bit annoying

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Couple of anecdotes, I have to work in Yorkshire now and then, and one point I stayed in Ilkey, which is a lovely lovely place by the way. Anyroad, I needed a cab from hotel to get to station around lunchtime I the week, and receptionist told me I would have to wait over an hour. I was astounded, then she explained it was Eid so no local mini cabs or taxis were running. I had to wait so she could get one from Leeds, I kid you not. We had a good laugh about diversity in the cab industry and she then said it is helpful at Christmas because they are always running the full service 24 hours.

I also worked with a Muslim born in UK who was fully observant, but westernised in dress. He would always seek to work through the holiday time and save days for Eid, which he was allowed to do.

Add that to the mix.

what......so it suits them , unless it doesn't suit them ...?? observant,,?? if i go to Riyhad and steel some condoms and masurbate into a dustbin ......not saying that i would , but if i did i would get my business cut off .....they can come to UK , do shit they can't do at home and by that i mean rape our birds..we are so far up the saudis arses in monetary terms it really isn't funny any more ......sleep well.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I used to work with a Muslim lady of Bangladeshi ancestry (although born here).

She considered Christmas far more a part of British cultural life than a religious festival and celebrated accordingly, with all the usual presents, decorations, tree etc...she even brought home-made mince pies in one year, and bloody nice they were too.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I had quite a few friends when I was growing up who were Muslim and most of them celebrated it. It's become more of a cultural celebration than a religious celebration.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course it is and most do. Isn't this a great example of people from other cultures embracing Western culture?

This. Despite your recent enthusiasm for polls, yet more 'this'. :thumbsup::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Historians are CONCLUSIVELY in agreement that jesus existed? That has to be one of the daftest remarks I've ever seen on here. There is an argument for the case. That is all.

I think the bone of contention is the virgin birth and the resurrection. Oh, and being actually one third of god herself.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I used to work with a couple of Jehova's Witnesses... Boy they hated it! No cards, pressies or decorations and forced to take 2 days off for Christmas to be confronted with endless Christmas Specials on TV...poor ********.... But, it's a free country and everyone should be allowed to celebrate what they wish regardless.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
what......so it suits them , unless it doesn't suit them ...?? observant,,?? if i go to Riyhad and steel some condoms and masurbate into a dustbin ......not saying that i would , but if i did i would get my business cut off .....they can come to UK , do shit they can't do at home and by that i mean rape our birds..we are so far up the saudis arses in monetary terms it really isn't funny any more ......sleep well.

Jesus Christ. You need educating, inshallah.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I used to work with a couple of Jehova's Witnesses... Boy they hated it! No cards, pressies or decorations and forced to take 2 days off for Christmas to be confronted with endless Christmas Specials on TV...poor ********.... But, it's a free country and everyone should be allowed to celebrate what they wish regardless.

I work with one. Lovely guy who doesn't celebrate Christmas pro-actively but is always first to the Christmas cakes, mince pies and festive fare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here