Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much is worth paying for a striker?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
My shot in the complete unknowing anything at all honest guv guess is we will sign 2 out and out strikers 1 African chappy for 23 million euros and another from the lower leagues of some far away country like ireland for 2 million , the 23 million chap will be a complete lemon until the temp rises above 18 degrees and the other will make CMS look like a lazy git basically chasing anything that resembles a ball , what he does with it when he gets it will make people rise from their seats in anticipation , even the East Upper library , yes he will be that good :thumbsup:

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
surely if ---say we take Sturridge on loan(playing for a world cup place ) and he breaks down doesn't he go back to his own club for treatment as one of their investments ?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
You can also get a failure there too but the £20m that City paid for Jesus looks a bargain now.

Totally. There's no guarantee that a player will make an instant impact or even be able to adapt, but that can happen with any transfer. Important thing is that the club does its research properly and any risks that are taken going forward are calculated ones.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
surely if ---say we take Sturridge on loan(playing for a world cup place ) and he breaks down doesn't he go back to his own club for treatment as one of their investments ?

Yes. But due to the agreement we would be left to pay the agreed % of his wages until the end of our agreement, and we would also be back to the same position we are in now. If the plan was to bring someone in like Sturridge than the sensible thing to do would be to bring in two strikers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What you want to do is buy a striker with resale value. If you spend £20 mill on a striker who has scored goals in - say - the Championship, Bundesliga or La Liga then you know you'll get at least half your money back if that striker gets sold on, so the gamble then becomes £10 mill to stay in the Prem, not £20 mill.

What I wouldn't do is do what Bournemouth did with 34 year-old Jermain Defoe - pay him a £6 mill signing on fee and a 3-year deal with £65K per week basic and incentives that could lift it to £130K per week because you can end up paying £16-£120mill for an old player with no resale value. Moreover, what IS the point of a deal with incentives when a bloke has earned a fortune from football and has just been handed a £6 mill signing-on fee??

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If the plan was to bring someone in like Sturridge then the sensible thing to do would be to bring in two strikers.

I’ve got a feeling this will be the scenario.

After the last window, the club will have a number of targets and rather than having all of them fall through at the last minute, I strongly believe they’ll over compensate and we’ll end up with a pair.

Liverpool have two proven English Premier League strikers who are both capable of making a late claim for a World Cup place. Both are desperate for top level match time that we could provide. One of these on loan plus Dembele would give us the impetus to remain 12th or better!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Is it an over inflated market though? Looking at the potential bidders for the next TV deal it could be this is the good old days. If an Amazon or Netflix type bidder comes in, prices will leap massively again. Either way we need a striker now. Ideally one with a resell value in case things go wrong. I think the fee for the right player is almost immaterial as long as we have the prospect of recovering most of it if the worst happens. Dembele would fit that bill as long as the bidding doesn't get out of hand, but I would be tempted to look to south America I think we possibly have more chance of attracting a gem there given our spending power but relative lack of status.

This. Sky have serious competition now from these internet based providers. More competition means more money bidd.

The market is the market. We either go for a UK based player at top dollar or take a punt at a relatively unknown player at 'bargain' rates. Or one of each would be best. Either way we're looking at £25m

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
great idea, but do we want long drawn-out visa business ?

Or a million views on a thread about a South American striker we have no chance of signing who is owned by 15 dodgy agent types.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Going on what we've done to date - i think we can survive without a new striker

Errr, no... there is very little chance we will survive without signing a striker... the 2nd half of our season, especially the run-in, looks very tough...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Larger transfer fee doesn't equate to better signing. We were sniffing around Dwamena for £9m & Babacar for £12m. I wouldn't be suprised to see similar sorts of bids. However none of the strikers who were signed in the summer for less than £15m would be a significant improvement to our current squad

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Who's over in China, earned themselves a tidy nest egg and ready to come back and play real football?

That Oscar chap was quite tidy.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I wonder what the situation is with Giroud? Needs games for World Cup place. Rumours of a potential move to Everton indicate that Arsenal are open to a move, but the player wanted to stay close to London. How about a loan move for him?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here