Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much is worth paying for a striker?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
With the 18m rumor for Dembele and now Virgil van Djik going for 75m. How much in this ‘over inflated’ market should the Albion pay for a good striker?
I’m talking theoretically here. Say the stats all predict the striker should hit 10 goals for the remainder of the season and would almost guarantee staying up. What should the top bearable price be, verses the cost of missing out on another season in the Premier League?
I’ll have a go and say 30million.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I still think its worth looking at a decent loan rather than throwing 20 million or more at a striker

I would be happy to pay 20 for Dembele however given his age and potential.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I still think its worth looking at a decent loan rather than throwing 20 million or more at a striker

I would be happy to pay 20 for Dembele however given his age and potential.

Do you think 20 million would be enough to get him? I hope so, but the noises from the club are that the prices are more inflated due to the Virgil VD move and therefore more difficult to get a player (especially striker) in January. Dembele has a risk attached to him, we don’t know if he can do it in the PL. So I wouldn’t want Bloom to go above 20-22mill. Then again that makes my theroy of maxing 30m for a proven striker maybe too low. Worth paying 35million maybe?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

agree but a couple years experience shows us its just as difficult to get a decent loan striker.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would it be worth paying the wages of a loan like Sturridge rather than a large fee and then wait until the summer. Perhaps the club have somebody lined up in Bulgaria or Romania cheap.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
A loanee agreement is out of the question for me, how has Izzy Brown turned out?

I don't see many loanees pulling up trees just to save us for 5 months, with no guarantees afterwards.

We need to purchase, and be astute about it hopefully, although it is going to be a competitive market with 5-6 other clubs with the same idea about saving their PL place.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As much as it takes if we want Premier League payments rather than parachute next season, almost certainly over 20 million :wink:

I’d rather we didn’t have to rely on a loan player who probably won’t give a ****.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Would it be worth paying the wages of a loan like Sturridge rather than a large fee and then wait until the summer. Perhaps the club have somebody lined up in Bulgaria or Romania cheap.

got to be used to playing over here.......would personally be looking at the likes of Hooper, Hughill or even Powell at Wigan. Feel that with the right coaching behind them, or similar, would benefit us more than an unknown, unclimatised striker from overseas. Jose a case in point. What happened to the striker from Cardiff we were keen on ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

With his injury record that really is a great suggestion, £100,000+ a week for him to lay down on the physios bed and to watch us from the stands

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is a difficult one. Does the £20 - £30M figures being quoted include the £5M that the player would demand in wages?

A decent loan striker would want the same wages. We are not that lucky with loan players and most teams don't want to loan decent players out. Maybe someone who needs more game time with the World Cup approaching?

Either way, it's not going to be easy.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A loanee agreement is out of the question for me, how has Izzy Brown turned out?

I don't see many loanees pulling up trees just to save us for 5 months, with no guarantees afterwards.

We need to purchase, and be astute about it hopefully, although it is going to be a competitive market with 5-6 other clubs with the same idea about saving their PL place.

This... for me, a loan is a definite 'no, no'... we need to purchase... we are now a Prem club, and we should have a bare minimum 4 strikers on our books as perm players... some on here still seem to live in a Championship / league 1 / league 2 mindset... I hope we can land someone decent at about £20M, but agree £30M can be justified when you place the fee in context with the riches obtained by staying in the Prem... wake up people...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
With his injury record that really is a great suggestion, £100,000+ a week for him to lay down on the physios bed and to watch us from the stands

LoL!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Is it an over inflated market though? Looking at the potential bidders for the next TV deal it could be this is the good old days. If an Amazon or Netflix type bidder comes in, prices will leap massively again. Either way we need a striker now. Ideally one with a resell value in case things go wrong. I think the fee for the right player is almost immaterial as long as we have the prospect of recovering most of it if the worst happens. Dembele would fit that bill as long as the bidding doesn't get out of hand, but I would be tempted to look to south America I think we possibly have more chance of attracting a gem there given our spending power but relative lack of status.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
£25m for Champions League Goal Bagger Cenk Tosun looks a great piece of business but it’s Everton rather than us who are lining him up according to the beeb. Therefore, we shouldn’t be going much over £25m in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Dembele would fit that bill as long as the bidding doesn't get out of hand, but I would be tempted to look to south America I think we possibly have more chance of attracting a gem there given our spending power but relative lack of status.

Looking to South America certainly worked for Watford when they purchased Richarlison. Hate to think how much he's valued at now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here