Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 5 points for a win and 2 for a draw?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
16 points for a win
1 point for each goal scored up to a maximum of 5
3 points for a clean sheet, 2 points for letting one goal in, 1 point for letting 2 goals in, 0 points for letting on 3 or more
5 points for a draw

Or just forget the silly season and stay with the current system which works well

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Do it on goal difference and make the goals twice the size have 1 goal 'fixed' keeper and one other playing 'monkey rush'.

Boring football sorted.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Do it on goal difference and make the goals twice the size have 1 goal 'fixed' keeper and one other playing 'monkey rush'.

Boring football sorted.

And balloons on the players arses, burst a balloon and it counts as a goal.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Another suggestion to improve things may be to extend the break for half time to ensure that everyone in the ground has the opportunity to buy and consume their refreshments and also use the toilets if they wish before the game restarts without being stuck in queues and potentially missing part of the match as a result. Clubs will be able to sell more at half time, making more money and fans benefit too so surely it's win - win for the club and the fans

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The NHL went to an interesting point award system. If drawn after 3 periods of 20 minutes (clock stops for referee's whistle, goals, etc) each team gets 1 point (if won in regulation time the winner gets 2 points) then they play 5 on 5 (normal is 6 on 6 including goalkeepers) for 5 minutes. This is called "sudden death" because if a team scores the game is over immediately and the winner gets an extra point which would also be the same two points that they would have received for winning in regulation time. If no team scores then they go to penalties. Again the winner gets two points and the overtime loser remains with one point.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Players should be rated on a scale of -2 to 10, with 10 being the best The team handicap is the sum of its players' handicap ratings and goals should be awarded at the start of the game to take this into consideration. A point should be awarded for each goal. Players should be on horseback with long mallets to hit the ball with.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Scrap the points completely and have league positions determined by goal difference alone.

If you look at the table today, only a couple of teams would move and not by too many places either.
This approach ensures teams continue to try and score goals whether they are 3-0 up or 0-3 down.

View attachment 92356
I like that one, it could be very exiting. The only issue is CH would go just as defensive against the top 6 although we would benefit by losing 2-0 rather than 6-0 compared to others.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There wasn’t much wrong with two points for a win and one for a draw.

From memory it got changed after a campaign by Jimmy Hill who was convinced it would result in fewer draws and more goals. I don’t know for certain, but instinctively neither has happened. It is odd, because three point win should be more effective than it is. Look at Bristol Rovers who are 16th in L1 despite losing the joint most games (14) in the division; they drew their first game on Boxing Day.

I have believed for a long time that managers simply don’t understand the simple maths that League position at end of season is almost a perfect correlation with number of victories, and therefore accept draws too easily. CH season before last was a classic in this regard during the long unbeaten run.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
I remember the experiment in 96/97 of goals scored taking precedence over goal difference. Bloody stupid idea.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Players should be rated on a scale of -2 to 10, with 10 being the best The team handicap is the sum of its players' handicap ratings and goals should be awarded at the start of the game to take this into consideration. A point should be awarded for each goal. Players should be on horseback with long mallets to hit the ball with.

It would complicate your Official Mtach Day threads somewhat, I think you may have gone a bit far now :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here