Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 5 points for a win and 2 for a draw?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Is it right/fair that 1 win and 2 defeats should result in the same number of points as 3 draws.

I’m not suggesting a return to the days of 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, but how about 5 points for a win and 2 for a draw? That way the above scenarios would result in 5 and 6 points respectively.

You could even award more points for away wins and draws. Many moons ago the Vauxhall Conference, as it was then called, awarded 2 points for a home win and 3 for an away win.

Is it also time to consider some form of bonus points system, as is currently operated in the Aviva Premiership, to encourage teams to keep on pressing for goals even when the result is in the bag?

I’m sure some would argue that football is great because of its simplicity and tinkering with the current points system would go some way to destroying this.

Discuss.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is it right/fair that 1 win and 2 defeats should result in the same number of points as 3 draws.

I’m not suggesting a return to the days of 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, but how about 5 points for a win and 2 for a draw? That way the above scenarios would result in 5 and 6 points respectively.

You could even award more points for away wins and draws. Many moons ago the Vauxhall Conference, as it was then called, awarded 2 points for a home win and 3 for an away win.

Is it also time to consider some form of bonus points system, as is currently operated in the Aviva Premiership, to encourage teams to keep on pressing for goals even when the result is in the bag?

I’m sure some would argue that football is great because of its simplicity and tinkering with the current points system would go some way to destroying this.

Discuss.

The reason they went from two to three points for a win was because you got the same amount for two draws as you did for a win and a defeat. Teams could play for 0-0 every game knowing that it was more consistent than winning 1-0 one week and losing 1-0 the next - you'd get the same number of points regardless. (A Middlesborough-supporting friend of mine said that when Jack Charlton was manager if you saw a Boro goal you wouldn't go for another four games because you wouldn't see another).

It was bought in to try and encourage attacking football (like the away goals rule) so that winning the game (with the risk of losing) would ultimately be a better strategy than playing for 0-0 every time. By and large it's worked, indeed if they had to change I'd go the other way - four points for a win. (Not suggesting that btw, I'm happy with the way it is)

EDIT: I know that when they were looking at changing the scoring system one idea mooted was 10 or 15 points for a win, 5 points for a draw and a point for every goal scored.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'd prefer 10 points for a win and 3 for a draw and 1 for a loss just to make it harder for dumb twats and wankers.

Oh yeah, two points for 5 goals or more.

Wouldn't a 12 point night be special? ? !!

Also zero for giving up 5 goals or more.

Last edited:

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016

Discuss.

Calling @Dr No.

No.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The 5 pts for a win and 2 for a draw wouldn't really change anything this season as the table currently stands, Newcastle would move below Palace and West Ham so I think we can all agree it's a silly idea for that reason alone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No. And no also to points for goals. And no also to bonus points for wide score margins. And no to penalty shoot outs if the result is a draw. And no also to wider goals, sin bins and three thirds.

But yes to video replay on the say so of the ref (when he/she is unsure) and the fifth official (yes, fifth) who is watching the TV action and may have spotted something the ref has missed. But also yes they WILL cock it up when we play Palace.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Had a similar discussion with someone before who wanted to see 1 point for a 0-0 but 2 points for a score draw (regardless of how many where scored in that draw) and still just 3 points for a win (regardless of scoreline) which, to me seems a bad idea (why attack when drawing 1-1 and risk losing 2 points to gain just 1 more? Why try to score more than 1 if winning 1-0, etc) - if you are losing, aren't you going to attack more anyway (unless seriously outclassed) in order to try to get something from the game and an extra point being available for getting on level terms isn't going to change anything imo

Leave it as it is imo, if going from 1 to 3 points isn't enough incentive for a team to try to win a game, then i doubt any other differences in points awarded will make much difference

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
7.14 points for a win, nothing for a draw or loss.

All 'drawn' games to be decided by a penalty shootout, with 2.37 points for a game won on penalties.

This way.there is still a miniscule advantage in winning one game in normal time, over three games won on penalties.

:flameboun

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Keep all the points the same but every fifteen minutes the home crowd/away crowd would choose a player of their team to go off the field using a wired controller. Needs to be wired as I haven't been to an away game this season which has a 4G or WiFi signal so a mobile app wouldn't work.

el punal

No. And no also to points for goals. And no also to bonus points for wide score margins. And no to penalty shoot outs if the result is a draw. And no also to wider goals, sin bins and three thirds.

But yes to video replay on the say so of the ref (when he/she is unsure) and the fifth official (yes, fifth) who is watching the TV action and may have spotted something the ref has missed. But also yes they WILL cock it up when we play Palace.

God forbid that we go for the interminable Rugby Union TMO procedure :

Ref - "Hello Greg (TMO man), is there any reason why I should or should not award the try?"

Greg - " Hello Wayne, you want to know whether you should or should not award the try?"

Wayne (the ref) - "Yes."

Greg - " Hello Wayne? Just checking now."

This is the time when everyone in the crowd goes off for a beer as 17 different camera angles, slow-mos, re-runs are shown ad nauseum.

Ten minutes later.

Greg - "Hello Wayne?"

Wayne - "Yes Greg?"

Greg - " I forgot what the question was, could you repeat it for me please?"

By now all the players, coaching staff and fans have lost the will to live and f***ed off home.

Meanwhile Greg and Wayne are the only ones left in the ground pondering whether that try should or should not be awarded. :mad:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Some good ideas there. Here's mine: In order that the season doesn't just fizzle out with everything done and dusted before the last day, I think, in the manner of a cheap game show, that the points for the last game should be quadrupled. And what the hell, add a point for every goal scored as well. Imagine the excitement! You won't know who's won the title or got relegated until the very last kick of the very last game! Rather like the end of Rugby Union and Rugby League seasons all that's gone before counts for virtually nothing as everything is geared towards a climax. Ok, it's a bit rough if your last game is away at Man City, but that's just the luck of the draw!

Or we could just leave it the way it is ...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I’ve often thought that if there was an extra point awarded for a 3 goal winning margin then it would make for more attacking and exciting games, especially towards the end of the season. I’d bring that in.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I’ve often thought that if there was an extra point awarded for a 3 goal winning margin then it would make for more attacking and exciting games, especially towards the end of the season. I’d bring that in.

Heaven forbid! Assuming an extra point for every 3 goal margin.

Man City would stop easing off at 5 & 6!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

On the other hand teams that are scared they might get hammered won't even send someone up to toss the coin.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I think they should make the goal sizes means tested, its only fair that if say cech is 10% taller than Ryan his goal post should be 10% taller and wider. It would be easy to implement

And don't get me started on penalty spots, they need to be made adjustable like golf tees. This would account for players who have a consistent ability/skill to stick it so high above the bar can take it really close or really far away so the trajectory is balanced fairly

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Seen plenty of games where a side has won by a 3 goal margin or more and they tend to be quite boring (especially if a big lead is achieved early in the match) as it turns into a training ground type affair.

There is more drama, interest and action in a close game, with the result in the balance until the end rather than a game that's decided well before the final whistle.

Lots of goals do not necessarily mean it's an entertaining game or an enjoyable watch imo.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Scrap the points completely and have league positions determined by goal difference alone.

If you look at the table today, only a couple of teams would move and not by too many places either.
This approach ensures teams continue to try and score goals whether they are 3-0 up or 0-3 down.

table.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here