Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How the club does transfers, from Paul Barber

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Perhaps because we are establishing ourselves still and despite our facilities it could take another year or two to get people in, I really think some peoples expectations have gone a little unrealistic. We are in for a half marathon not a sprint to where we would like to be and TB and PB are taking it at the right pace IMO, I doubt there is anyone on this board close to TBs maths and calculations this stuff really does not happen over night
Establishing ourselves like Huddersfield then

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Establishing ourselves like Huddersfield then

I am not certain what you mean. This has been done to death, 2 failed medicals and getting gazumped after the deadline for another is unusual, I dont get how people think that the club arent trying or know what we need and I trust the powers that be more than anyone on here myself included of course to know better than us - thats all. What will be will be. I am sure that the club realise that getting a striker in is pretty much (along with keeping Dunk) our chance of survival. I highly doubt they are all st on their arses right now playing solitaire on the computer enjoying a few days downtime in the office because its Christmas, I could be wrong

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Who are the best two strikers in the Champ? Can’t we just go and buy them both for Christ’s sake. A ****ing striker. We need a ****ing striker. No other saga in football has gone on this long except for the missing cup final money. Brighton and Hove Albion are a ****ing joke and I’m sick of hearing about how we cannot sign anyone despite being richer than the vast
Majority of clubs in the world.

There. I’m flouncing off now got that off my chest. But really am sick of our stories of woe. Barber OUT!

Two best strikers in the Championship:

1 - Leon Clarke, a journeyman, who turns 33 years old in 6 weeks and is having the season of his career.
2 - Matej Vydra, who's having one of his good seasons.

Hopefully our scouting is a bit more sophisticated than that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
By the time the last window closed,I think we were possibly into double figures choice wise and we still ended up asking for the deadline to be extended, only to have another deal fall flat on it’s face. Obviously it was the player’s fault....I still maintain we’ll end up getting relegated if we fail in the striker market again, get a decent one in and we could easily end up top half.

Our season rests on being able to sign that elusive striker imo.

Spot on, and all the absolute dullards on here are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. Enough talk from the club (and CJ as well) about how difficult it is to sign players. Just ****ing do it.

patalan48

Mar 5, 2017
I've had a couple of exchanges with Paul Barber since Christmas-Day-Dembele-Gate and thought I would just share a few of his points below. I appreciate these are obvious to many, but figured it worth sharing anyway. Strap in and enjoy the ride (my words, not his).

Here you go:

- our squad evaluation and recruitment work never stops. It’s an ongoing process and a constant cycle of activity involving the 1st team, U23s, and academy.

- the recruitment team spends months working on narrowing our specific targets which are then agreed with Chris in advance of a transfer window opening.

- despite suggestions in the media and from one or two individuals on social media, the club hasn’t already signed anyone ahead of this window opening.

- unfortunately, we can’t control speculation so we can expect more of it - and more claims of inside knowledge - as the January window unfolds.

- for context, at any given time, knowledge of our transfer targets, recruitment strategy, and ongoing discussions is typically limited to just 4 people in the club.

- leading up to or during a window, we limit this information, both inside and outside the club, so that we can keep the risk of leaks to an absolute minimum.

- invariably, and despite our best efforts, leaks may (and do) still occur; they rarely help us and will sometimes damage negotiations and put deals in jeopardy.

- as a consequence, we will very rarely comment on transfer window speculation (some days we’d be doing nothing else!) and we will never discuss our targets.

- throughout any transfer window, expect some agents (and clubs) to “market make” providing the media with a range of “stories” for a variety of different reasons.

- timing for deals will vary. We don’t wait to the end of the window to do our business unless there’s a good reason to, but a selling club may well wish to do so.

- finally, as a general rule and usually regardless of media comment, club media channels will only confirm transfers when all elements of a deal are completed.

Given this sophisticated process how did we get Brown and Crystal Palace Loftus-Cheek?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Perhaps because we are establishing ourselves still and despite our facilities it could take another year or two to get people in, I really think some peoples expectations have gone a little unrealistic.

Well Huddersfield didn’t seem to have many problems signing a striker or two. Neither did Bournemouth who have less resources than we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Two best strikers in the Championship:

1 - Leon Clarke, a journeyman, who turns 33 years old in 6 weeks and is having the season of his career.
2 - Matej Vydra, who's having one of his good seasons.

Hopefully our scouting is a bit more sophisticated than that.

All about the moment! Get em in for 5months and watch the net BULDGE!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Perhaps because we are establishing ourselves still and despite our facilities it could take another year or two to get people in, I really think some peoples expectations have gone a little unrealistic. We are in for a half marathon not a sprint to where we would like to be and TB and PB are taking it at the right pace IMO, I doubt there is anyone on this board close to TBs maths and calculations this stuff really does not happen over night
Remember when Reading tore into the PL? Hull? Bmuff? Even Hudds are beating the big teams and scoring a few...Meanwhile back at the Amex, Brighton prepare another statement about how they’re unlucky, trying, it’s difficult, value for money...blah blah

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Vydra has been playing with Nugent all season = goals

He last had such a productive season when played with Deeney

Rowett has changed shape Derby play to get best out of Vydra

Rowett has also quietly signed several players who have all won past promotions to PL in Nugent, Davies, Huddlestone and Ledley - plus Vydra has too

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
All about the moment! Get em in for 5months and watch the net BULDGE!

The problem with buying the best in the Championship is that the Premier League is a whole lot tougher. Anthony Knockaert was easily the best player in the Championship, but against Premier league opposition he doesn't look so special.

It's not as easy as it seems spotting players who can translate and perform at this level. Chris has had his fingers burnt before when he signed Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, who had scored 28 in 51 for Sporting Lisbon, only to flop when Chris signed him for Norwich. With this in mind I suspect we might try to sign a striker with proven Premier League experience.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The problem with buying the best in the Championship is that the Premier League is a whole lot tougher. Anthony Knockaert was easily the best player in the Championship, but against Premier league opposition he doesn't look so special.

It's not as easy as it seems spotting players who can translate and perform at this level. Chris has had his fingers burnt before when he signed Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, who had scored 28 in 51 for Sporting Lisbon, only to flop when Chris signed him for Norwich. With this in mind I suspect we might try to sign a striker with proven Premier League experience.
Well, it's proven that Ricky van Wolfswinkle has PL experience now, I suppose. Get him in? Not much chance of getting gazumped, after all.............

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Well, it's proven that Ricky van Wolfswinkle has PL experience now, I suppose. Get him in? Not much chance of getting gazumped, after all.............

That's an experience both him and Chris would like to forget. But he has scored 7 in 9 for Basel this season and 20 in 32 for Vittesse Arnhem last, so maybe? No.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Obviously maturing with every season!

Mo Salah came back to the Premier League to set the record straight. Ricky's about to turn 29 and in his prime so no doubt someone will take a punt on him. Just not us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mo Salah came back to the Premier League to set the record straight. Ricky's about to turn 29 and in his prime so no doubt someone will take a punt on him. Just not us.
Yeh, you're right - that Mo Salah's just a waste of space. Wolfswinkle would probably be just as bad.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Spot on, and all the absolute dullards on here are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. Enough talk from the club (and CJ as well) about how difficult it is to sign players. Just ****ing do it.

So out of interest, how exactly do you propose the club 'just ****ing do it' ? It's not like they can pop down to Tesco and buy a striker off the shelf. They have to find a decent striker, within budget ( I assume you'll be happy to match the kind of money Tony has put in if a striker is identified outside of the budget ), the current club will need to want to sell, the player will have to want to move, wages will need to be agreed, a medical passed (ah!) and no other club poaching in the meantime. Absolute doddle !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'll repeat my challenge from the summer. If it's that easy you do it. Offer yourself to the recruitment team. I'm sure someone who's got all the answers would be snapped right up.

Alternatively why don't you tell us all who you'd sign. Don't forget to detail price, signing on fee, wages, how you'd get the player's current club to agree and the name and phone number of their agent. I'll give you the medical pass and a work permit for free. Off you go....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here