Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How the club does transfers, from Paul Barber

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
So when you say "just ****ing do it" you actually have no idea at all how simple that is or what's involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I say, not my job. I am, however, in a good position to say that we have failed for about 2 years to land the striker we oh so ****ing obviously need. Your point is moot.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You've avoided the question completely I see ! Some clubs manage it, many don't. In fact very few of the bottom half of the Premier have found that 'star' striker.

So I'll ask AGAIN - how do you propose the club 'just f***ing do it' ?

Do their jobs well. Stop the ****ing BS , start walking the walk.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As I say, not my job. I am, however, in a good position to say that we have failed for about 2 years to land the striker we oh so ****ing obviously need. Your point is moot.

Has someone had a little drinky poo?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Given our losses of last two seasons and fact that in last seasons accounts we seemed to have started running at an overdraft for first time in years I would say purse strings are well and truly loosened already

Far better to sign no one than waste £20m to me

Any agent and player trying to play us off against others will get nowhere fast

And how much money do you think we will lose if we go down, which is far more likely if we fail once again to sign a quality striker?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
None of the three transfers that failed in the summer were due to that (andone , dwamena, Janssen)

If anything we'd agreed over inflated fees with these three players/clubs

No. We’d agreed the prices dictated by the rather silly market. A concept PB AND yourself both seem to struggle with.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we’d had a striker like Ibe or Wilson today we could have beaten Bournemouth out of sight after 20 mins.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If we’d had a striker like Ibe or Wilson today we could have beaten Bournemouth out of sight after 20 mins.

This.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
None of the three transfers that failed in the summer were due to that (andone , dwamena, Janssen)

If anything we'd agreed over inflated fees with these three players/clubs

Also, I think there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that on deadline day, we had a (£16m?) deal agreed with Fiorentina for Babacar but his wife wanted to stay in Florence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also, I think there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that on deadline day, we had a (£16m?) deal agreed with Fiorentina for Babacar but his wife wanted to stay in Florence.

That makes the list:-

1 - Fell through early August.
2 - Deadline day panic buys, having earlier had multiple low bids turned down.
1 - After deadline desperation.

Not exactly awe inspiring, is it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We had over four months to get it sorted...I didn’t expect us to be asking for extensions. Did you?

It wasn't four months after one player (Dwema or something?) failed the medical, and we moved on to Plan B, whose deal fell through when his club couldn't get his replacement in. And it was less than four months then until we went for Plan C (the one we tried getting an extension for - and dodged a bullet on, imo). In fact the whole summer transfer window was only four months long!
The fact that Plan C was a scramble was that two previous plans had suddenly collapsed through no fault of the Albion's.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It wasn't four months after one player (Dwema or something?) failed the medical, and we moved on to Plan B, whose deal fell through when his club couldn't get his replacement in. And it was less than four months then until we went for Plan C (the one we tried getting an extension for - and dodged a bullet on, imo). In fact the whole summer transfer window was only four months long!
The fact that Plan C was a scramble was that two previous plans had suddenly collapsed through no fault of the Albion's.

You do realise the club aren't limited to doing only 1 deal at a time, don't you?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

So are you saying we didn’t have over four months to get it sorted? Lost me there I’m afraid. I’ve heard all the excuses but the fact is we failed. Best hope we don’t get a repeat in January as I think we’ll go down because of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So are you saying we didn’t have over four months to get it sorted? Lost me there I’m afraid.

It's always worth reminding, the hard of thinking, really the club had 18+ months to get this sorted.
What with the 2 previously oh-so-near misses at promotion, plus what turns out to be a £40m 'promotion' spend.

Then when that still isn't enough evidence and that theory gets rubbished, we can then reply with 1 name:-

Pascal Gross.

Now tell me the club only had 4 months to buy a striker.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You do realise the club aren't limited to doing only 1 deal at a time, don't you?

Yes, of course I do, but they would be prioritised. We wouldn't be writing out the cheque (or even finalising the small print) for option C while option A was still on the brink of signing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So are you saying we didn’t have over four months to get it sorted? Lost me there I’m afraid. I’ve heard all the excuses but the fact is we failed. Best hope we don’t get a repeat in January as I think we’ll go down because of it.
We only had four months to sign one. Yes, we'd have done a lot of research and preparatory work, but we wouldn't even have begun to discuss detailed terms with that Spurs bloke when we were on the verge of signing Dwaema (sp?). If he hadn't failed his medical, we wouldn't have had to suddenly switch to Plan B and then Plan C. But yes, I did realise that we didn't manage to sign a striker.
Sorry if I lost you; can't offer any help there, I'm afraid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A Guardian journo, somewhat tongue in cheek, suggested the reason Everton landed themselves with such an unbalanced squad, when they finally landed Gylfi (sp) was because they were too polite to tell Swansea 'we don't want him now, we've moved onto plans B & C'.

It seems some would suggest the Albion are the exact opposite.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's always worth reminding, the hard of thinking, really the club had 18+ months to get this sorted.
What with the 2 previously oh-so-near misses at promotion, plus what turns out to be a £40m 'promotion' spend.

Then when that still isn't enough evidence and that theory gets rubbished, we can then reply with 1 name:-

Pascal Gross.

Now tell me the club only had 4 months to buy a striker.

The club openly admitted as much in programme notes in the spring at some stage, saying planning on players for the PL had been a long term ongoing process when we were only mid way through last season. You wouldn't expect anything less from a large business, run by TB and PB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here