Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Chivers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great! He is very good at what he does and is very engaging, especially with some of the ‘stories’ he has. Glad to hear we are paying better now we are in the Prem as well.

I like his humour. Without doubt he is repetitive and deliberately fumbles through foreign names and cocks up quiz questions and has gags which are so old even a dinosaur will think they’re dated but it makes me chuckle.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Where did the ‘Maltese International’ come from (as in we’ve got a Maltese International)? His Wikipedia would suggest otherwise

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Sorry but that walk around the pitch at half time was just plain weird!

The bloke with the mike didn't ask him a single question and you sort of got the feeling we were the only fans who knew who he was.

That walk around the pitch. How cringey was that? Weird indeed.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In the big picture of ALL those who played for the Albion from 1983 to 2011, let's call it the wilderness years, Chivers and Storer might be in the top 25%?

We saw some shocking to poor players in that time, in every position.

28 years in the Wilderness was it ?
Blimey.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Where did the ‘Maltese International’ come from (as in we’ve got a Maltese International)? His Wikipedia would suggest otherwise

He had Maltese heritage in his family, his father changed their family name from a Maltese name to Chivers as he thought it was more ‘English’ and would enable them to get on better in England .

The Malta FA enquired as to his availability, and at the same time made enquiries into his credentials, turned out his heritage didn’t qualify him to play for Malta as he had never lived in Malta and he didn’t speak a word of Maltese.

At least that’s roughly how he explains it.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
In the big picture of ALL those who played for the Albion from 1983 to 2011, let's call it the wilderness years, Chivers and Storer might be in the top 25%?

We saw some shocking to poor players in that time, in every position.

Chivers? Decent shout for top 25% between '83 and 2011. He came with Top flight experience and was a solid second tier player for us.

Storer? Loads of passion. Raw pace. All round good guy. Scored a crucial goal. But very definitely a lower league player, an earlier day Gary Hart, if you will. Off the top of my head, I would rate any of Smillie, Ryan, Barham, Robinson, Walker, Brooker, Elliott Bennett, ahead of Stuart Storer in the pecking order - though there is no doubting his deserved legend status.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Have to admit that he was very entertaining when he hosted part of a AVIVA insurance day at the Amex (I'd blagged it with father in law who was a broker just to have a free tour). There were no corny jokes but a fair few amusing anecdotes including his confronting ref David Ellery years afterwards since he had incorrectly given a corner against Chivers in the 91 play off final from which Notts County scored their first goal.

I recall that during his Albion days he was more commonly known as 'Charlie' and you could hear players shout it rather than Gary. No idea where that came from? Certainly not the worst player to have graced the stripes ( or red & white Chewitt wrapper shirt) but manor weakness was lack of pace.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Remember him being a dependable defender. He lived next door to my Uncle in Banstead (before he split up with his missus) and gave us 2 complimentary tickets for the Man United League Cup first leg tie (in 91 I think it was) with passes for the players bar after the game - great night after the 1-1 draw and I think one or two of the team carried on the party for a few hours after we left. Remember him being friendly and always seemed to have a smile on his face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here