Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is a new winger as much of a priority as a striker?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
We aren't using our wingers effectively so no not really. I feel like we could buy Messi and he'd offer little from the wing with our current playing style.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
This.

Easy for a couple of posters to criticise the £16m player, who rarely plays, whilst being far gentler to untouchable (he's one of our own) March and Knockaert.

In my OP I said all of our current wingers were out of form... :shrug: Also can hardly say he rarely plays, he's only started 4 less games than March and he joined a few weeks into the season.

I’m a bit fed up with the Izquierdo bashing.

The games he has been selected for have been Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea amongst others.

Yesterday may have been his first 90 mins for us.

He needs a run in the team (at the expense of March), then we will be in a position to make a more positive informed judgment.

I’ll also throw in the quality of pass to him, Stephens and Propper need to hit holes, rather than pinging it to his feet.....

I think next season will be better for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He started 6 out of 8 games between his full debut at Arsenal and the Palace game. These were against sides such as West Ham, Southampton, Swansea and Stoke. He has had a run in the side and offered very little.

This may have been tactics but yesterday not once did he try and run into the space that Moses vacated once he had attacked. Suttner either had to pass it to his feet or turn back and play towards Dunk or Ryan.

I didn’t see the game yesterday so I can’t comment, but I’ve been to all of our home games and it’s rather crazy to hear someone suggest he hasn’t taken anyone on, based on those games at least. The problem isn’t that he’s not taking people on, it’s that we aren’t utilising his pace effectively at all, because we simply don’t get the ball to him quickly enough in dangerous positions so he can isolate one defender.

I've seen every game this season, home and away, and I've honestly never seen him take a man on. Whenever he gets the ball he dribbles infield.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
March has been woeful of late, but its not just him. Our strikers seem scared to put a ball into the box, alot of the time they get to a posistion to put one in but then cut back and look for a pass inside, therefore slowing the whole passage of play down. Its a matter of coaching them for when they get to that posistion to put the ball into the box.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In my OP I said all of our current wingers were out of form... :shrug: Also can hardly say he rarely plays, he's only started 4 less games than March and he joined a few weeks into the season.

He started 6 out of 8 games between his full debut at Arsenal and the Palace game. These were against sides such as West Ham, Southampton, Swansea and Stoke. He has had a run in the side and offered very little.

This may have been tactics but yesterday not once did he try and run into the space that Moses vacated once he had attacked. Suttner either had to pass it to his feet or turn back and play towards Dunk or Ryan.

I've seen every game this season, home and away, and I've honestly never seen him take a man on. Whenever he gets the ball he dribbles infield.

Perhaps it’s the fact he’s only played a full 90 mins a couple of times.

You’ve answered your own question, Hughton’s tactics are based around shape and discipline, so no doubt he has been asked to track players rather than exploit space.

That still doesn’t answer why we have rarely given him a decent pass to run on to. He’s hardly slow.....

I’ve also seen every game, and I think you are forgetting Watford when he clipped the bar, West Ham when he scored and even yesterday when he shot over at the end. All of which involved coming inside and taking players on, not forgetting the mazy dribble against Liverpool at home.

If you are talking about getting to the touchline and cutting it back, then perhaps no.

Edit

He has started 4 games in a row, of which we won two, and drew two. Until yesterday he had not completed 90 mins....

Last edited:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I’ve also seen every game, and I think you are forgetting Watford when he clipped the bar, West Ham when he scored and even yesterday when he shot over at the end. All of which involved coming inside and taking players on, not forgetting the mazy dribble against Liverpool at home.

If you are talking about getting to the touchline and cutting it back, then perhaps no.

I've tried to block the Liverpool game from my memory! West Ham is easily his best game for us as he scored and had a few good runs forward but didn't overly impress. At the time I thought it was a promising performance but he hasn't kicked on.

Yeah, that's what I mean about taking a player on. Beating a man and then either getting the byeline and cutting it back or crossing.

New Seagull

Sep 27, 2015
For me the problem is we only play with one striker so we are not getting on the end of the crosses that do come into the box. March & Bruno especially have put in a lot of crosses & there is nobody at front & back posts as well as edge of box/penalty spot. Against Watford in the first half, suttner hit 5 decent crosses to far post & there was no one on the end of it. We have good wingers but sometimes they dont have enough targets in the box to cross the ball to, so they then cut back & look for another option.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Minutes played out of the 1,800 maximum per the PL website:

Knockaert 1,344 (1 goal, 1 assist)
March 1,181 (1 goal, 1 assist)
Izquierdo 706 (2 goals, 0 assists)

By contrast:
Gross 1,517 (4 and 5)

None of our wingers have thrived in the slightest. Perhaps it's incredibly hard in the PL, except for exceptional players.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Minutes played out of the 1,800 maximum per the PL website:

Knockaert 1,344 (1 goal, 1 assist)
March 1,181 (1 goal, 1 assist)
Izquierdo 706 (2 goals, 0 assists)

By contrast:
Gross 1,517 (4 and 5)

None of our wingers have thrived in the slightest. Perhaps it's incredibly hard in the PL, except for exceptional players.

I like Izquierdo. I just wonder if he is really significantly better than Kazenga who has similar attributes and style.
I like Knockie, but he rarely seems to be in that little pocket around Bruno any more.
I like Solly, but he seems to lack confidence and his decision making has gone awry again.
I like Skalak. I wish he could be rotated in to a game to show if he can adapt to the Prem.
I don't like Murphy. I don't think he showed he is good enough for the Prem.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like Izquierdo. I just wonder if he is really significantly better than Kazenga who has similar attributes and style.
I like Knockie, but he rarely seems to be in that little pocket around Bruno any more.
I like Solly, but he seems to lack confidence and his decision making has gone awry again.
I like Skalak. I wish he could be rotated in to a game to show if he can adapt to the Prem.
I don't like Murphy. I don't think he showed he is good enough for the Prem.

I'd be shocked if Skalak ever succeeded as a PL player. He struggled against pacey Championship full backs both in attack and in his defensive duties.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
For me the problem is we only play with one striker so we are not getting on the end of the crosses that do come into the box. March & Bruno especially have put in a lot of crosses & there is nobody at front & back posts as well as edge of box/penalty spot. Against Watford in the first half, suttner hit 5 decent crosses to far post & there was no one on the end of it. We have good wingers but sometimes they dont have enough targets in the box to cross the ball to, so they then cut back & look for another option.

Murray or Hemed should be there, and Gross should be following in also

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Work your magic @drno

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here