Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is a new winger as much of a priority as a striker?

Jul 7, 2003
Not sure what has happened to Solly but he needs to be taken out of the firing line. Really frustrating in the first half today when Schelotto broke away and looked to play the ball ahead and Solly stopped running and came short.

I would like to see Murphy given a go as he defends well but is also quite direct when he does go forward.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What do you expect Izquierdo to do when he's asked to defend for 90 minutes, and isn't passed the ball in attacking positions?

This.

The OP seemed particularly angled against Izquierdo, whereas AK and SM have been equally ineffective against opposition full backs, despite being given a stack of starts.

I'm hoping that if the club buy dangerous strikers with pace, it will free up space elsewhere. Opponents are able to double up and negate the threats of our wingers with ease at the moment.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Propper feeding Jose and Solly with Hemed up front in the will be enough to piss the Championship next season. Don't know what the fuss is about.

Last edited:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
This.

The OP seemed particularly angled against Izquierdo, whereas AK and SM have been equally ineffective against opposition full backs, despite being given a stack of starts.

I'm hoping that if the club buy dangerous strikers with pace, it will free up space elsewhere. Opponents are able to double up and negate the threats of our wingers with ease at the moment.

Izquierdo cost £16million and has been less effective that AK or Solly (not that either of them have been playing anywhere near last years standards). I know the price tag isn't his fault but I have certain expectations when spending that much. At least AK and Solly will try and take a man on, I'm yet to see this from Izquierdo which is odd as his main attribute is pace. I haven't given up on Izquierdo and still think he could be a big player for us in the next few years but from what he's shown in the first half of the season he isn't, to borrow a phrase, 'Premier League Ready'

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure what has happened to Solly but he needs to be taken out of the firing line. Really frustrating in the first half today when Schelotto broke away and looked to play the ball ahead and Solly stopped running and came short.

I would like to see Murphy given a go as he defends well but is also quite direct when he does go forward.
Totally agree Solly makes so many poor decisions. Today he stopped a number of team moves stone dead.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Izquierdo cost £16million and has been less effective that AK or Solly (not that either of them have been playing anywhere near last years standards). I know the price tag isn't his fault but I have certain expectations when spending that much. At least AK and Solly will try and take a man on, I'm yet to see this from Izquierdo which is odd as his main attribute is pace. I haven't given up on Izquierdo and still think he could be a big player for us in the next few years but from what he's shown in the first half of the season he isn't, to borrow a phrase, 'Premier League Ready'

I didn’t see the game yesterday so I can’t comment, but I’ve been to all of our home games and it’s rather crazy to hear someone suggest he hasn’t taken anyone on, based on those games at least. The problem isn’t that he’s not taking people on, it’s that we aren’t utilising his pace effectively at all, because we simply don’t get the ball to him quickly enough in dangerous positions so he can isolate one defender.

Generally the issue for our wingers is a mixture of tactics (this is the primary reason for me), and the lack of a really good option up front in this league which means teams know that if they stop our wingers, they’ve stopped a large portion of our threat.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Wake up and smell the coffee folks. We are in the PL now. Quality of defenders is much better, and we shouldn't be surprised that our wingers aren't just waltzing past them and setting up goals every week.

It's not a question of pace, we have plenty of that. It's about clever combinations of overlapping fullback and triangular support from Stephens on the right, Gross or Propper on the left. Then we have shown we can get behind PL defences and create good opportunities. But to expect this in abundance is, frankly, naive.

Having said all that I have been disappointed in Iziquierdo as I can't remember a single decent cross he has put in. Yet to fulfil his potential.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When we are constantly set up to defend in every match no matter how good the wingers are there attacking mentality is knocked out of them. We need to be more bold

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This.

I’m a bit fed up with the Izquierdo bashing.

The games he has been selected for have been Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea amongst others.

Yesterday may have been his first 90 mins for us.

He needs a run in the team (at the expense of March), then we will be in a position to make a more positive informed judgment.

I’ll also throw in the quality of pass to him, Stephens and Propper need to hit holes, rather than pinging it to his feet.....

I think next season will be better for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
1 striker needed absolute minimum . Ideally we need 2 ! Most clubs have loads

That's just to compete to stay up .

For next level stuff and to be clear all season we need more quality in all the midfield and up front.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
With Kayal looking decent on his return I'm going to say we only need a top quality striker this window

Maybe 2 strikers if we could get a good loan in

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
1 striker needed absolute minimum . Ideally we need 2 ! Most clubs have loads

That's just to compete to stay up .

For next level stuff and to be clear all season we need more quality in all the midfield and up front.

I tend to agree with this. Up front is crucial for this season and then build/upgrade in central midfield and at full backs from there.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Depending on Sidwell's fitness, i would try for another attacking midfielder,if he is out for any length of time after the window shuts.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m a bit fed up with the Izquierdo bashing.

The games he has been selected for have been Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea amongst others.

Yesterday may have been his first 90 mins for us.

He needs a run in the team (at the expense of March), then we will be in a position to make a more positive informed judgment.

I’ll also throw in the quality of pass to him, Stephens and Propper need to hit holes, rather than pinging it to his feet.....

I think next season will be better for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

Easy for a couple of posters to criticise the £16m player, who rarely plays, whilst being far gentler to untouchable (he's one of our own) March and Knockaert.

In reality, offensively, all have flopped so far. Probably due to better opposing fullbacks, they weren't as good as blue-tinted fans made out, and they're bogged down in supporting our fullbacks on defensive duties.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
When we are constantly set up to defend in every match no matter how good the wingers are there attacking mentality is knocked out of them. We need to be more bold

I agree. I am actually saddened some of these players have their creativity stifled by negative tactics, which I try to be understanding about but fail to see the point when we are already losing a game, surely it's worth throwing caution to the wind when we are 2 down. I get that we don't want too many thumpings which will erode confidence but how is confidence kept when our gameplan is just to keep the scoreline respectable rather than chasing the game and actually throwing the kitchen sink at the opposition which would at least be entertaining.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here