Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What were we value for today?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Mate, just don't. I've many times detached myself from my obvious bias and still can't work out why you lot choose to attack us with this and expect us to keep a straight face. So we filled a much larger stadium when built, the first time in a long while people could see a sustainable future for the club. As opposed to near doubling your attendances because of rocking up to a new division, most of whom are probably Arsenal/Chelsea fans who can't afford/acquire season tickets for their own club.

You're disputing that Chelsea, a club with millions of 'fans' worldwide, doesn't have more plastics than us.... It's literally akin to me jumping on your forum and knocking your club for spending most of it's history outside the top tier.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Take Kante and Hazard out of their side and it would not be so one-sided. Take out Morata and Azpilicueta and it would be a fair contest.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Hughton: “Over the 90 minutes I think we were value for something - I'm not talking about points, I'm talking about really participating in this game.”

Can anybody tell me what this sentence actually means, because I don't have a clue? :shrug:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You are right but I offer up this. when we get a freekick or corner we rush to get the big guns upfront. We haven't scored from a corner in ages yet we still do it. In truth we open ourselves up for the counter especially with the poor standard of our corners, such as todays. We do this yet never properly support our front player in open play. The very most Hemed could hope for is a freekick, him winning headers is pointless.

Add to this the disappointment spoken about by Chris on the goals conceded is not fair on the defence. Elsewhere players can make mistakes (look how many missed chances we had against Watford but as we one it's forgotten) the defence miss a run and bang a goal. However they are under massive pressure ALL game. Due to the tactics there's never a chance to have a breather. Duffy and Dunk must be f@@ked by the end of each game.

We lost out to counter attacks against Man City, Liverpool and Leicester, but pushing defenders forward paid off against West Ham and another side. It is not a risk free zone.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nothing, a 2 goal defeat given our lack of quality and intent is more than fair, perhaps a bit flattering

We did OK for the first 20 minutes.

I was disappointed that we didn't start the second half with the same intensity we did at West Ham.

Bruno usually contributes value for money in entertainment and competency.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Take Kante and Hazard out of their side and it would not be so one-sided. Take out Morata and Azpilicueta and it would be a fair contest.

True.

If we were playing against 7 men, we might even have ventured over the halfway line once or twice.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not expecting us to go to these places, open up and play expansive football because we'd get taken apart. But honestly...we HAVE to show a bit more ambition than this. I went to Spurs and frankly felt short-changed that night. I watched today on a stream, and gave up at 2-0. I was actually bored. If we're not even going to TRY to compete, then whats the point of watching ? The entire build-up to these games smacks of a small-club "just pleased to be here" mentality, like we're some two-bob side from the noddy leagues on an FA Cup day trip to one of the big boys.

There is obviously a gulf in class when we play the top 6, that goes without saying. But that doesn't mean you can't fight and scrap and press and harry and TRY to cause them problems does it ? We are just so meek and passive in these games its quite pathetic. I can recall many, many Cup ties down the years against top flight teams, where we've been a lower league club up against some class opposition, and given them a real scare, not been disgraced or smashed out of sight. Now we're inb the SAME DIVISION, and we're effectively writing these games off before a ball has been kicked. Just happy with damage limitation.

I'm NOT calling for Hughton out, obviously. If we go down, there's still nobody I'd rather have in the dugout. But christ up a stick, can we just stop surrendering to these teams before a ball has been kicked ? I truly believe we ARE capable of scraping some results against them if we arrive and play our own game, and just have a bit of a go. But all we're doing at the moment is guaranteeing defeat, treating a 0-2 like some kind of moral victory. Its nothing of the sort. Its still 11 v 11. We've earned the right to be in this division. We need to bloody act like it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not expecting us to go to these places, open up and play expansive football because we'd get taken apart. But honestly...we HAVE to show a bit more ambition than this. I went to Spurs and frankly felt short-changed that night. I watched today on a stream, and gave up at 2-0. I was actually bored. If we're not even going to TRY to compete, then whats the point of watching ? The entire build-up to these games smacks of a small-club "just pleased to be here" mentality, like we're some two-bob side from the noddy leagues on an FA Cup day trip to one of the big boys.

There is obviously a gulf in class when we play the top 6, that goes without saying. But that doesn't mean you can't fight and scrap and press and harry and TRY to cause them problems does it ? We are just so meek and passive in these games its quite pathetic. I can recall many, many Cup ties down the years against top flight teams, where we've been a lower league club up against some class opposition, and given them a real scare, not been disgraced or smashed out of sight. Now we're inb the SAME DIVISION, and we're effectively writing these games off before a ball has been kicked. Just happy with damage limitation.

I'm NOT calling for Hughton out, obviously. If we go down, there's still nobody I'd rather have in the dugout. But christ up a stick, can we just stop surrendering to these teams before a ball has been kicked ? I truly believe we ARE capable of scraping some results against them if we arrive and play our own game, and just have a bit of a go. But all we're doing at the moment is guaranteeing defeat, treating a 0-2 like some kind of moral victory. Its nothing of the sort. Its still 11 v 11. We've earned the right to be in this division. We need to bloody act like it.

I do agree. Keep the flattering "organised" approach for the middling teams and go completely gung ho against the ones you have no chance of beating.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Well put

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What disappointed me was that 45 minutes of solid defending was undone by a goal that we’d have been disappointed to concede in the Championship, a centre forward getting between our two central defenders to score with a free header. And the ball was in the air a long time.

That's the PL. If a team offers absolulely nothing up front, 9 times out of 10 they will lose, having to defend against world class players for 90 plus minutes. Negative teams occasionally get lucky with a 0-0; Pulis and Allardyce have done that at Anfield over recent years, with 10 defenders and Alamo tactics. But far more often than not, the defence is breached and it's game over.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
On another thread this evening, someone's lambasting Izquierdo as a waste of space after his performance.

I agree with you that it's inadvisable to have a go at these teams. Hughton simply doesn't have the player weopons at his disposal to do it. In recent seasons clubs like Bournemouth, Southampton and CP have beaten the top 6 on several occasions, but they offered pace coming at their opponents from several positions, after having the luxury of several PL transfer windows to build truly PL squads.

Absolutely. can't argue with that. Staying up is so crucial so that we can gradually build up a squad that realistically has a chance of taking on the big boys.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Absolutely. can't argue with that. Staying up is so crucial so that we can gradually build up a squad that realistically has a chance of taking on the big boys.

It was not pretty but I did take some positives from this game. We are placed better now than most had hoped for at the beginning of the season, and it is clear that we are not out of our depth when we play with confidence, a la Man U. Two good signings up front/AM and we will be ok going into 2018. I don't care how ugly it is, just keep us up please CH & Co.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was not pretty but I did take some positives from this game. We are placed better now than most had hoped for at the beginning of the season, and it is clear that we are not out of our depth when we play with confidence, a la Man U. Two good signings up front/AM and we will be ok going into 2018. I don't care how ugly it is, just keep us up please CH & Co.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here