Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What were we value for today?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
At some stage, we'll decide to really have a go at a team like Chelsea and believe we're capable of competing with them. We need one big result to start believing, right now we play with an inferiority complex which is misplaced.

We need to shrug off this small minded outlook and grow a pair. Let's crack on with competing at this level.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We might as well of not turned up and saved us all a few quid. The premier league is so divided that these games are pointless. Not sure what the penalty is for not showing up but I’m beginning to think it might be worth it. Lots of energy expended for completely no point at all.

That's why, unlike others who couldn't get their hands on 'prestigious' away PL games, I was never bothered.

Shelling out countless £100's on away trips, to be taught footballing lessons by clubs who've simply bought success.

The clammer to get those tickets with nsc scuffles between those with the necessary points and those without, has died a death, as the Albion keep returning with nul points and goals scored.

theboybilly

That's why, unlike others who couldn't get their hands on 'prestigious' away PL games, I was never bothered.

Shelling out countless £100's on away trips, to be taught footballing lessons by clubs who've simply bought success.

The clammer to get those tickets with nsc scuffles between those with the necessary points and those without, has died a death, as the Albion keep returning with nul points and goals scored.

Despite all the negativity on this thread I thought Albion (at least in the first half) put in a display the equal of that at Old Trafford. I was thinking that another 10 or 15 minutes of 0-0 might have had Chelsea fans getting on their team's backs but it's hard to visualize much passion from the home crowd - pathetic. We had a couple of decent chances and Isquierdo and Schillotto played very well. But you can't just 'have a go' at Top 6 teams - they will destroy you. I enjoyed Albions effort today against a very capable Chelsea side that still saw the need for the dark arts at times

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Despite all the negativity on this thread I thought Albion (at least in the first half) put in a display the equal of that at Old Trafford. I was thinking that another 10 or 15 minutes of 0-0 might have had Chelsea fans getting on their team's backs but it's hard to visualize much passion from the home crowd - pathetic. We had a couple of decent chances and Isquierdo and Schillotto played very well. But you can't just 'have a go' at Top 6 teams - they will destroy you. I enjoyed Albions effort today against a very capable Chelsea side that still saw the need for the dark arts at times

On another thread this evening, someone's lambasting Izquierdo as a waste of space after his performance.

I agree with you that it's inadvisable to have a go at these teams. Hughton simply doesn't have the player weopons at his disposal to do it. In recent seasons clubs like Bournemouth, Southampton and CP have beaten the top 6 on several occasions, but they offered pace coming at their opponents from several positions, after having the luxury of several PL transfer windows to build truly PL squads.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm quite happy with the way things are going with the squad we have

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Dead right, sir. We had no chance with the starting 11 named today, and we had no desire to do anything beyond giving it a go. Would be nice if we could score a goal against a top side. Chuffed they didn't score at our end

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
You really are an absolute ****ing bellend (who can't spell).

It was supposed to be a light hearted joke about their journey home, dickhead....
PS sorry I spelt his name wrong, headmaster. ****

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Weird comment, especially from Hughton who is usually quite eloquent. Reads like a Pardew quote.

Think it's a way of saying "We are happy to say we've competed in every away game to top teams and lost 2-0, and we will never take a chance AT ALL, of getting more from the game with my 1 dimensional tactics, ever!"

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We need a Forest '79 moment.

Or a Liverpool away, league not cup where apparently 250 000 supporters from Brighton were there, the 1-0 when there was about 300 of us. I was at both and have to say we did actually want to win them unlike at the moment away to the top sides.

I'm becoming narked over it now.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Thank heavens for a nice, sensible, balanced post. It’s always disappointing to lose a game, but seriously, should people be so very, very put out about it? What on earth did they expect? We’ve only been in the PL for 5 minutes. I enjoyed my day out, though. But I’ll not be in any hurry to go to Chelsea again, with the coach park nearly a mile away from the stadium, then being herded into the ground like sheep, lots of half empty pubs near the stadium, but none of them away friendly, and then on the coach back home an hour, AN HOUR, to crawl a mile down the road. Now I know what Elvis Costello meant.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thank heavens for a nice, sensible, balanced post. It’s always disappointing to lose a game, but seriously, should people be so very, very put out about it? What on earth did they expect? We’ve only been in the PL for 5 minutes. I enjoyed my day out, though. But I’ll not be in any hurry to go to Chelsea again, with the coach park nearly a mile away from the stadium, then being herded into the ground like sheep, lots of half empty pubs near the stadium, but none of them away friendly, and then on the coach back home an hour, AN HOUR, to crawl a mile down the road. Now I know what Elvis Costello meant.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You are right but I offer up this. when we get a freekick or corner we rush to get the big guns upfront. We haven't scored from a corner in ages yet we still do it. In truth we open ourselves up for the counter especially with the poor standard of our corners, such as todays. We do this yet never properly support our front player in open play. The very most Hemed could hope for is a freekick, him winning headers is pointless.

Add to this the disappointment spoken about by Chris on the goals conceded is not fair on the defence. Elsewhere players can make mistakes (look how many missed chances we had against Watford but as we one it's forgotten) the defence miss a run and bang a goal. However they are under massive pressure ALL game. Due to the tactics there's never a chance to have a breather. Duffy and Dunk must be f@@ked by the end of each game.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What disappointed me was that 45 minutes of solid defending was undone by a goal that we’d have been disappointed to concede in the Championship, a centre forward getting between our two central defenders to score with a free header. And the ball was in the air a long time.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What disappointed me was that 45 minutes of solid defending was undone by a goal that we’d have been disappointed to concede in the Championship, a centre forward getting between our two central defenders to score with a free header. And the ball was in the air a long time.

Showed him scoring about 5 very similar goals on MOTD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here