Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Piper R.I.P.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Very sad. My memory often deceives me, but I'm sure I recall him starting out as a fairly average defender and converting to a decent number 10 type midfielder. Local lad made good of my generation. Too young!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Cheered him on from the South Stand in 76/77. RIP

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
When the Albion won at Roker Park that was a big deal. Always remembered that goal at Sunderland and the goal scored on promotion night v Massive. Steve Piper one of our own. RIP.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
RIP Steve.
Condolences to the family.
Local boy dun good.
Steve was one of the first players younger than me that I used to 'tap up' for comp tickets away from home. He definitely came back out with a ticket for that game at Sunderland. Top of the league for the first time ever that night!
He was always humble and, even when being showered with congratulations in the Suite (Top Rank) in the evening after the Chelsea cup-tie (where he subdued Osgood),still came over to me to have a chat. He also once came out half-changed at Tranmere with tickets after I turned up late and cheekily sent a message in to the dressing room - as if you could do that nowadays.
Once had a bizarre conversation with him at Waterhall when Albion were training there prior to the start of the season in 77. I had taken the dog for a walk over from Patcham in the hope of seeing some action, bearing in mind I was living in Manchester. They were playing a game on a full pitch and Pipes was in goal for some peculiar reason. All the play was at the far end, so he saw me and called me over, asked me what I was doing there and we had this chat for quite a few minutes just as you would during a game in the local park, whilst down the other end was Mullers, Horton, Ward and Co all doing what they were doing, but not disturbing us much. No-one chased me off or said anything.
Tales from bygone days, when footballers generally still seemed to be one of us but appreciated their position.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
While i cant pretend to have known him well , i did have the odd chat with Steve on the old seagull specials trains,
Nice Bloke
On and off the pitch
RIP

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
RIP Steve.
Condolences to the family.
Local boy dun good.
Steve was one of the first players younger than me that I used to 'tap up' for comp tickets away from home. He definitely came back out with a ticket for that game at Sunderland. Top of the league for the first time ever that night! .

and he scored too

sad news indeed

thanks for the memories

RIP

Terry of Yapton

Terry of Yapton
Nov 10, 2009
Yapton,West Sussex
One of my favourite players of the 76/77 season,especially when we beat Pompey 4-0 at home,having lost on Boxing Day at Fratton Park,when
Nobby Horton missed a penalty! Steve scored the fourth goal in front of about 25000 people at the Goldstone. RIP Steve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here