Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football gone soft.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought your time with the Surrey FA made you the font of all FA knowledge. And as you said before:

That wouldn't have been dealt with by 5:05 in those days, so I don't know why you are so cynical about it taking a few hours these days. It's not Match of the Day making it happen.

I'm not entirely sure why this particular incident has raised your ire, when for the past few seasons the FA has been taking retrospective action if the ref misses something. It's nothing to do with VAR. With all the past cases of the FA taking action a day or two after the match after a ref has missed something, even since the introduction of VAR trials in various locations, why has someone getting kicked in the face given you such concern for the state of the game?

Simply because I believe the FA are cow tailing to the TV companies and the pundits.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Charlie Austin should've taken his foot away, simple.
He's always been a bit of a clumsy lump.
I remember a few seasons back, when he came on for QPR v Albion at Loftus Rd.
His fat ass brutally pushed the ball into our net, twice, no punishment then!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Simply because I believe the FA are cow tailing to the TV companies and the pundits.

3d0e7f63da420d8db4d68d77c44ce3b7.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I totally agree with BG. The pundits on BBC or Sky do have a major influence on the final decision weather that is a panel of 3 refs or not. This in my opinion is exactly what happened in Tomer's case. And even though I never wanted Lukaku banning for his double kick out at Bong (I think it was) because he is in my fantasy league team. What he did was far worse than Tomer. I do actually think Austin should get a ban although only minimal but its a dangerous road we are taking. If these pundits are calling for these bans to be dished out.

So do I agree on this. Tomer's 'stamp' (which I still believe was not intentional) went almost un-noticed until the pundits picked it up and started going on and on - and on and on - and on - about it until the FA thought they'd better be seen to be doing something. Tomer's suspension was, in my opinion, media driven, and that should not be the way players get suspended.

On the broader level, I do believe football has gone soft - I played (at a low level and very badly) in the 60s and early 70s and really used to enjoy sliding tackles (at school we were coached on how to do them!), and the general physicality of the game; by today's standards, most of the games I played in would have ended up as five-a-sides! But even back then, there were certain protocols. Anyone in Charlie Austin's situation when the keeper had clearly got the ball and there was nothing to 'go for', would have seriously tried their best to hurdle over the keeper without hitting him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
CA was being a snide c*nt when he went in on the keeper. Hopefully his ban will start when his hamstring thing finishes. Else it's a meaningless ban.
It will be a meaningless ban then (assuming he's injured for longer than three games). It would be common sense if the ban started when he was fit again (though the club would probably declare him fit even if he wasn't - don't know how you can police that one), but common sense doesn't always apply. It's a bit like the penalties for seriously bad driving - six months gaol and a three months driving ban - well, he ain't going to be doing much driving in his six months in gaol, is he? (if they've now modified it so the ban starts when he comes out, I apologise, but I don't believe they have).

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
BG goes to bed after another successful bollocks thread - still with any luck he will be too busy bossing the seventeen that are coming for dinner tomorrow to reply.
To everybody else have a good day :drink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
BG goes to bed after another successful bollocks thread - still with any luck he will be too busy bossing the seventeen that are coming for dinner tomorrow to reply.
To everybody else have a good day :drink:
Awww, he is a Brighton fan after all - he can have a good day too, eh?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Not gone to bed as wife is present wrapping and I am on here and watching homes in the sun but still Happy Christmas to all even:::moo:

There is hope for The Middle East if BG and SS can get along.

Will you be playing football together in No Man's Land today?

Can we get Paul McCartney out of his Sussex residence to play Pipes of Peace while you do?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Son came up with an idea which I think is quite good. Managers are always in the 4th officials ear so why cant he note the time of any o=incident mentioned and rthe 4 officials whichg those specific incidents after the game and make a decision on whether or not they have missed something that had they seen at the time taken action on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Son came up with an idea which I think is quite good. Managers are always in the 4th officials ear so why cant he note the time of any o=incident mentioned and rthe 4 officials whichg those specific incidents after the game and make a decision on whether or not they have missed something that had they seen at the time taken action on.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Dyche will cause them about 6 hours extra work per game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here