Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Connor Goldson

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Looked superb today, really pleased for him - a totally deserving MOM.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That was official BHAFC talk, not fan talk.

And whichever it was talking, BHAFC or NSC, it wasn't nonsense!

FWIW - and despite his impressive debut today - I would still think it would be a good idea for him to have half a season in the Championship, provided we can get in (preferably on loan) an experienced old hand who is capable of stepping in if and when we need a fourth CB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was brilliant to see Connor get MOM today, even if it was against a Deeney-less Watford. His distribution is better than Duffy 's too, centre back is not a problem for us this season.
Care to enlighten me when the last time centre back was a problem?

We'd have won The World Cup by now if the Albion could produce centre forwards the way it can shat out top notch centre backs :lol:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Raises a possibility of a new formation to work on with 3 at the back?

Duffy in the middle but with Dunk and Goldson either side and playing wing backs, could be something CH may look into?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Care to enlighten me when the last time centre back was a problem?

We'd have won The World Cup by now if the Albion could produce centre forwards the way it can shat out top notch centre backs :lol:

Don't you remember Colin Hawkins?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There’s always been the potential there to be a better Premier League defender than Duffy, who is a stats defender at heart but has been found out at times this season with his passing, positioning and ability to read the game and movement of better strikers. Obviously Goldson’s injuries have meant that he’s barely been seen for 18 months, so I’m personally surprised to see such a level of performance considering how little he’s played. However, I don’t think anyone that watched him consistently for that 6 months at the beginning of 2016 would doubt he has that potential in him.

In summary, I thought he was utterly superb today, and he should not be losing his place on the back of that. I don’t think Duffy has performed at that level (at home at least) since we’ve been promoted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't you remember Colin Hawkins?

Remember him, remember him, he won me a Championship Manager goodie bag from The Football Ramble when I described his penalty & sending off ineptitude.

The general crux being from the moment he left the dug our Colin never stopped moving in the direction of the tunnel :lol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And whichever it was talking, BHAFC or NSC, it wasn't nonsense!

FWIW - and despite his impressive debut today - I would still think it would be a good idea for him to have half a season in the Championship, provided we can get in (preferably on loan) an experienced old hand who is capable of stepping in if and when we need a fourth CB.

I can't disagree with that, his long term is certainly a starter at our club, just not right now. But he'd have to go to a top six Championship side.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Hughton does see Dunk and Duffy as out first choice this season and next - and I don’t know what he thinks, then Connor needs to move on because he’s too good to be sitting with the stiffs week in week out.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If Hughton does see Dunk and Duffy as out first choice this season and next - and I don’t know what he thinks, then Connor needs to move on because he’s too good to be sitting with the stiffs week in week out.

Tell the top six that who have world class players sitting watching for 100k+ a week.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
‘Tis difficult to choose between the Duffmeister and Connor for the Chelsea game. Was quite emotional to watch him in the first half from the north stand - perhaps I’m a little bedevilled with catastrophic thinking, but I flinched, nonsensically, when he went in for a brave block, fearful that a ripple would trample its way from ankle to heart. The fear passed though, and he was mostly majestic throughout.
I’d be happy for the squad to be rotated in terms of parts of the back line in this flurry of fixtures. Duffy back in for Chelsea, and Connor back for the not very physical encounter in the frozen north. Let’s see who’s played best in those fixtures, and in training, and see owns that shirt for a while.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Realistically, Duffy didn’t play today due to a suspension (and at times has looked rather suspect this season). Goldson comes in and gets a deserved MOTM. Surely he now has the shirt until he either loses it through poor form or is suspended?

What message does it send to our players (and our young, promising ones) if they come in and perform excellently and they’re dropped for the next match? We’ve all seen the recent impact being dropped early season has had on March...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here