Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hemed - Marmite player

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Or that’s we’re not giving enough license to our current attack minded midfielders and wingers to get up in support of, and beyond, said target man...

Unfortunately the midfielder that plays the attacking role in our pragmatic and reasonably successful formation doesn’t have the pace to do that.

I don’t see the wingers being held back attack-wise. They just have to defend more than they would in a lower division because of the quality of opposition.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The good thing about football is so many opinions. I thought Hemed contributed very little. Murray movement in box far better. He may not have scored many but against Burnley played well and was a handfull. Murray cant play every game so play Hemed at Chelsea and Murray back for Bournmouth.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
With all the comments about needing a new main man up front, I had a glance through some stats. Looking at Murray and goals per minute http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/top-scorers he's not actually doing too badly. 5 goals at 197 minutes per goal. Even a 'prolific' striker like Vardy only has 8 at 208 minutes per goal. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers. Others such as Richarlison have 5 at 327 minutes per goal, and so on. Murray is quite comparable to the top scorers of the teams around us.

So, logically, if Murray played more minutes, he'd be in the top 10 in the premier league. Trouble is, he's probably too old now to play those minutes. The other thing is his complete lack of assists. I think our real trouble is not having a gang of scorers - which is where some of the other teams such as Leicester do well, Mahrez has 5 goals and 5 assists. We haven't got that back up other than Gross.

Hemed is quite well down, 2 goals at 336 minutes each. But he has 2 assists, so how much does that balance out over time?

I'm not sure swapping either for a more prolific striker is automatically the answer - unless he is one that also sets up team mates. Ideally, it would be great to see Hemed alongside a quicker poacher, rather than just the latter on his own. I think we'd see quite a few more goals then.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I fail to see that but what I did see was that the crosses put into Hemed were better than they have been for many games. He couldnt capitalize on them but I think that GM would have.

Other than when he had similar if not better quality at Utd and did not get close, not to mention the sitter vs Liverpool at home, so there is little evidence recently to back that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is tricky because he was outstanding in every aspect apart from scoring. It is also very hard to pick out when you are the only player in the box for most of the crosses...Some of his passes and touches were outstanding. Nippy striker along side would be one hell of a partnership.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It is tricky because he was outstanding in every aspect apart from scoring. It is also very hard to pick out when you are the only player in the box for most of the crosses...Some of his passes and touches were outstanding. Nippy striker along side would be one hell of a partnership.

But which midfielder would you drop, what would be our formation?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hemed is a lot more mobile and quicker then Murray (It's called damning with faint praise)

I agree, the notion of a 10 - 20+ premier league striker, well, there arent many out there as we know!! I couldnt give a monkeys if we had a 'striker' who scored zero in a season if his off the ball running/assists open gaps for midfield, wingers, whoever to have a bash. It can make for entertaining football, basically what I am trying to say is yesterdays games was entertaining, Hemed may or may not have scored, it would be great for him to get a goal or two some time and I dont care if's Matty Ryan that sticks one in, a goal is a goal. And I do not care who scores them. I had a huge sense of relief yesterday getting a goal from open play.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
With all the comments about needing a new main man up front, I had a glance through some stats. Looking at Murray and goals per minute http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/top-scorers he's not actually doing too badly. 5 goals at 197 minutes per goal. Even a 'prolific' striker like Vardy only has 8 at 208 minutes per goal. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers. Others such as Richarlison have 5 at 327 minutes per goal, and so on. Murray is quite comparable to the top scorers of the teams around us.

So, logically, if Murray played more minutes, he'd be in the top 10 in the premier league. Trouble is, he's probably too old now to play those minutes. The other thing is his complete lack of assists. I think our real trouble is not having a gang of scorers - which is where some of the other teams such as Leicester do well, Mahrez has 5 goals and 5 assists. We haven't got that back up other than Gross.

Hemed is quite well down, 2 goals at 336 minutes each. But he has 2 assists, so how much does that balance out over time?

I'm not sure swapping either for a more prolific striker is automatically the answer - unless he is one that also sets up team mates. Ideally, it would be great to see Hemed alongside a quicker poacher, rather than just the latter on his own. I think we'd see quite a few more goals then.

Glad someone could be bothered to check the stats. I certainly suspected that Glenn wasn’t doing that badly though he’s clearly been off form the past few games (but what striker doesn’t have these spells; even Kane and Aguero misfire occasionally).

I do rate Hemed overall but he’s nowhere near as clinical as Murray. Major problem is that nobody else looks like scoring either apart from Gross.

Our wingers are below par compared with last season and our midfield are usually only threatening the top tier of the stands and, as for set pieces, we seem to find converting them into goals next to impossible!

Interesting to see how the transfer window pans out but let’s not expect miracles. Proven goal scorers at this level are like gold dust and just as expensive. We may have to take a punt on a relative unknown and hope they grow into the role quickly.

The real damage was done by our failure this summer (and several windows previously). Stating the bl****ing obvious of course..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a marmite player because he does some things well, great work rate, some nice runs, and he can head a goal. Biggest drawbacks are his desperate lack of any acceleration over 5 yards that really costs him against Prem quick defenders and he still misses sitters including the one yesterday

Murray has similar failings but has been a cleverer goalscorer over the past 3 seasons, he is a better finisher than Hemed despite his nightmare against Liverpool.

But we need pace up front to partner the slow Gross and I still think it’s 50-50 to go down unless we get that

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Hmm. I think that was more to do with Goldson, who was outstanding, and March and Knocky who had good games. We looked good - and should have won - against Burnley last week who are arguably a much more inform team than Watford.

really? can't agree with that. March had a mare and knocky is way out of form at the moment.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
really? can't agree with that. March had a mare and knocky is way out of form at the moment.

I thought March had a bizarre game. In parts he looked excellent, he showed he could run with the ball, could pick out a cross, be in a good position to collect and his corners were top notch but at other times he looked like he hadn't a clue what he was up to.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Thought tomer was good against Watford. Ran the channels well just wasn't quick enough and finishing not great. Compare him to Andre Gray on the other side though Tomer was far superior.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thanks Tomer. You have been brilliant. Now is the time for you to milk Championship clubs like Wednesday & Boro as you don’t have the all round game for the Premier League. We need to stay up, you don’t. Send Cairney in our direction on the way out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was poor today although not given many chances but when he did get one he headed it straight at the keeper with the whole goal to aim at. GM would have put that away I am sure. He is not Premier standard and I am beginning to think the same of Duffy and Dunk on recent performances.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was poor today although not given many chances but when he did get one he headed it straight at the keeper with the whole goal to aim at. GM would have put that away I am sure.

Barnes would have had that. Plus he would have had the customary couple of crosses that scudded all the way across the goal area and went out the other side.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
beginning to think the same of Duffy and Dunk on recent performances.

A few months ago we were all saying how brilliant and heroically our defence were playing. How times change. I don’t disagree I hasten to add, it’s just funny what a run of poor results can do to a team. We look utterly bereft of any and all confidence from front to back at the minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here