Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hemed - Marmite player

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I like him the way I like puppies that run after tennis balls that I throw.

But I wouldn’t want a puppy as my striker in the Premier League.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He's a much more dynamic player than Murray IMHO. Murray works better with a pacey No.10, like Baldock.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I like Hemed, and am eternally grateful for his input in our past two seasons in the championship, but that is his level. In most PL sides he'd be third choice tops. Think of any team that would start him, I think none. Thanks Tomer, you're a Brighton stalwart, but you ain't Prem quality.

agree mostly. he is in touching distance though, I rate Tomer

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Friendly reminder that Watford spent £18.5 million on Andre Gray, who has done no better than Tomer "Marmite" Hemed this season with regards goals scored

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was so frustrated with Hemed’s performance in the box today. I don’t doubt that he ‘works his socks off’ but he’s there to score goals and when given the opportunity to do so he repeatedly fluffs his lines.

I can see that there are plenty of posters who think he’s more than worth the shirt but I have to say I think he’s not nearly good enough for this league. Murray isn’t much better but he holds the ball better and he has a more mature (cynical?) approach that gets us goals from time to time. I think Hemed is a lovely guy and has been a great servant to the club but maybe it’s time to move him on.

Retiring to bunker.

If he had more pace and a better shot then he wouldn't be playing for us, he'd be playing for a much better team. Yes he has his limitations but he deserves his place in the team, he's a good honest player, appreciates the support of us fans, he takes his defensive duties seriously and a very good header of the ball. I think he is or was also the best penalty taker in European football. He also has some lovely little touches. A few backheels and skills today had us all purring with delight.

I'm not going to have a go at you for your opinion, I think you're wrong but it's no big deal. Thing is though, that he isn't going anywhere soon. The club gave him a new contract just a couple of weeks ago.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have absolutely nothing against the guy, love his passion and belief. But, as I said, he ain't Prem.

He is though. Sure he's more backup than first choice but playing for us against other bottom half PL teams he's shown that he has the necessary qualities.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Friendly reminder that Watford spent £18.5 million on Andre Gray, who has done no better than Tomer "Marmite" Hemed this season with regards goals scored

I have 2 Watford fans as mates. I was chatting about our need for a striker today with one of them (after the game) and he remarked that they have wasted 18 million on Gray..He has done absolutely nothing in both our matches against them. The commentator kept on saying that they don't play to his strengths. FFS. He's supposed to be a premier league striker.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I love Hemed but we would see more from him if he were higher up the pitch with the ball played in behind the defenders, he is also pretty decent in the air. He plays regularly for his national side and has scored against some excellent defenders, not ideal for the lone striker role in a side slower than my granny but more than capable of being in a premier league squad and competing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes he did.

But he's just not quick enough IMO to score the goals that we need.

Other than the only goal v Newcastle, plus scoring 1 and assisting Gross (again) for another v West Brom.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Quite. He’s been woeful since joining Watford (and wasn’t much better at Burnley in the Premier League).

While it’s pretty obvious that we need more firepower up front, both Hemed and Murray are equivalent quality to many strikers in the lower half of the division - and at least neither is an expensive ‘mistake’. Arguably, the player we’re really lacking the most is a quick attacking midfielder who can get us up the pitch and will run beyond either of our 2 reasonably decent target men.

It’ll be great if we can strengthen in January (and we need to) but certainly wouldn’t be a huge surprise if an expensive foreign import proves to be little better than the strikers we already have, once their attitude and commitment is taken into account.

There are far more duds than hits at this level, unless you can afford £30m+.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hemed did well today but I do wish he would attack the crosses that came in towards his area rather than turn his back and try to play the ball on to another player. With the crosses that came i today GM would have had a field day and had the same crosses come in against Burnley we would have 2 more points.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
.... but apart from all that .....

I've just watched WBA again.
Tomer back to goal, 40 yards out, delivers a brilliant 'flick round the corner' for Gross to score.
How many times did he do that today, and yet because he's not a poacher he's just not quick enough to score the goals that we need.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I wonder whether with a tripling of pace he’d be a striker without that delicate yet sly touch upon receipt that can fool a defender and have him momentarily twist away. He would likely retain his inconsistency in front of goal, so I’d prefer him as he is - a hard worker with chances to gently fluff by foot, but always doing his bit for the team and nodding the odd cross in with effect - than a sprinter without heart.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Quite. He’s been woeful since joining Watford (and wasn’t much better at Burnley in the Premier League).

While it’s pretty obvious that we need more firepower up front, both Hemed and Murray are equivalent quality to many strikers in the lower half of the division - and at least neither is an expensive ‘mistake’. Arguably, the player we’re really lacking the most is a quick attacking midfielder who can get us up the pitch and will run beyond either of our 2 reasonably decent target men.

It’ll be great if we can strengthen in January (and we need to) but certainly wouldn’t be a huge surprise if an expensive foreign import proves to be little better than the strikers we already have, once their attitude and commitment is taken into account.

There are far more duds than hits at this level, unless you can afford £30m+.

Or that’s we’re not giving enough license to our current attack minded midfielders and wingers to get up in support of, and beyond, said target man...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I wonder whether with a tripling of pace he’d be a striker without that delicate yet sly touch upon receipt that can fool a defender and have him momentarily twist away. He would likely retain his inconsistency in front of goal, so I’d prefer him as he is - a hard worker with chances to gently fluff by foot, but always doing his bit for the team and nodding the odd cross in with effect - than a sprinter without heart.

They’re not mutually exclusive attributes...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here