Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Watford (H)

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Not offside then if not given [emoji6]

Thought Hemed offered a lot more than Murray of late. Took Murray just over a minute to get caught offside when he was ball watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Murray is off form, for sure. But form is only temporary. He is a better player than Hemed, who is at best a solid Championship striker. Probably the reason he was only offered an 18 month contract. I guess he'll be sold in the summer, if we stay up.

Obviously I'm a big Murray fan, but he's st the end of his career. Option 2 is a solid Championship striker, and Option 3 is a sicknote.

Roll on the January transfer window!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Murray is off form, for sure. But form is only temporary. He is a better player than Hemed, who is at best a solid Championship striker. Probably the reason he was only offered an 18 month contract. I guess he'll be sold in the summer, if we stay up.

Obviously I'm a big Murray fan, but he's st the end of his career. Option 2 is a solid Championship striker, and Option 3 is a sicknote.

I would argue that at this stage of Murray’s career there is little between them.

Also given Hemed return in terms of goals at championship level, he is probably a little better than ‘solid’.

The transfer window is very important for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
From the BBC website:

And i would have to agree with them, he played well and was a big threat to them.

I don't get why some are so blinkered and so down on some of our players all of the time (seems to always be that someone has to come under criticism when their performance was always the opposite of how these critics viewed it)

Players thrive on confidence, teams thrive on confidence and so why, when our players put in a good performance, is there is singling out of a player (who actually played very well in this game) and describing their performance as poor, i just don't get that mentality

I thought March was great until it was time for the final ball

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Watched the game recorded as got home late from Xmas shopping but possibly our best performance of the season. Watford didnt really threaten until last orders and we should have been over the hill and away by half time. The one disappointment was our finishing and as it looks like Baldock is not going to get back in team a much faster finisher must be a priority.

Ryan - 6 - not much to do but perhaps nearly threw it away in the last seconds. Good goalkeeper but still suspect in the air.
Bruno 7.5 - Grate game. Their wingers never got at him
Suttner - attacking wise offers more than Bong and he always looked a threat. Again wasn't really pressed. The Watford game was almost non-existent.
Goldson - 8 Did we used to have a defender called Duffy? Kidding because Duffy is more imposing but thought Goldson did really well - his passing out of defence was excellent. Gomes denied him a good goal.
Dunk - 7.5 solid, masterful.
Stephens - 7 solid - his passing this time only let him down once.
Propper -7 solid most of them time and he seemed more passionate tonight. Awful finishing though
March - 7.5 Great game. Always a danger. supported Suttner.... just wish he could deliver the killer cross.
Knockaert 8 Always a danger and his link up work with Bruno was great. The Bruno - Gross - Knocky triangle gave the Watford defence nightmares.
Gross - 8 - Great goal, hard work seemed back to his best. Just wish he was faster.
Hemed - 7 Apart from awful finishing (our curse at the moment... neither murray nor Hemed seem capable of scoring) he worked really hard, and gave them headaches.

Subs - had no chance.

Great game and things looking a lot rosier this evening.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ryan 7 Solid and did what he needs to do, one or two scary moments when defending set pieces though.
Bruno 6 Perfectly ordinary performance, no highlights and no catastrophes.
Goldson 8 Dealt with Andre Gray brilliantly, aggresive, on the front foot, strong and quick.
Dunk 7 Standard high class performance from Lewis, should have scored with his header.
Suttner 8 Showed more in the first 15 minutes than Bong has in a Brighton shirt, top class delivery and aggresive defending. Proven how much better than Bong he is in every aspect of the game, no disrespect to Bong who is decent all round, but a class below Suttner.
Knockaert 6 Our right side was blunt today when the left side was producing dangerous moments time and again.
Stephens 7 Strong and solid performance, the man is class and so important to our style of play.
Pröpper 7 We need to get him involved higher up the pitch, such a class player and so technically gifted.
March 6 Better than Knockaert, but not by much. I don't think he's up to this level, but he's better than Murphy and Skalak.
Gross 8 Quality. True Premier League attacking quality, the man is quality without question.
Hemed 6 Why didn't he get on the end of the numerous glorious deliveries? Lack of quality, pure and simple. Out of his depth now.

The subs didn't have a chance, Murray managed to get himself offside once or twice though. Kayal showed what he has to offer though, the man is sheer Premier League quality and he's combative at the same time. The central axis of Stephens just in behind Pröpper and Kayal will add defensive stability and aggresion. I'm reluctant to ever leave out Gross but I'd be tempted to start at Chelsea how we ended the game today.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Ryan - 7 - Did nothing wrong
Bruno - 8 - Silky
Dunk - 8 - Class
Goldson - 9 - Great Premier League debut must have been nervous but if so you could not tell well deserved MOM
Suttner - 8 - Slotted back in without any glitch
Stephens - 7 - Much better than of late still the occasional pass to the opposition
Propper - 8- Solid
Knockhart - 7.5- Will always over do things from time to time but this is what you get with a player of his ability getting closer to his best
March - 6 - Languid stile can make him look lazy at times but he is a natural at this level even if this was not his best game
Hemed - 9 - Worked his socks off
Gros - 8 - Worked hard got the goal gets him an extra point

Subs Just a bit of time wasting

Watford offered little however we should have put away a couple of chances instead it left a nervous end when they nearly scored we are playing ok making chances just not putting them away let's hope that changes soon

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Much better performance today. We looked very comfortable against an established Premier League team and should have won by more than one goal. Our problem is still up front where we need a player or two to convert opportunities into goals.

Ryan 6. Looked comfortable without having much to do, but then spilled the ball in the last minute which could have easily resulted in an equaliser. Good goalie, but maybe not what we need long term if we stay up?
Bruno 7. Good performance.
Goldson 8. So good to see him back. Superb performance for his first Premier League appearance and after so long without first team action. Looked like he'd never been away. Only one wayward pass that I noticed.
Dunk 8. Excellent as always.
Suttner 8. Great, just great. We're fortunate to have two talented left backs ... in what was a problem position.
Stephens 7. Played well, but still the odd time when he played the ball sideways or back, when forward opportunities were there.
Propper 7. Good solid performance.
Knockaert 5. The weak link today. Just so inconsistent. Frequently making wrong decisions and losing the ball. Needs a rest.
March 6. Frustrating. Could have done so much better with some of the situations he was in.
Gross 7. Nicely taken goal which the goalie should probably have saved, but good to see him taking a shot ... that's the way to score goals and is a lesson for some of his team-mates.
Hemed 7. Held the ball up very well, but missed a couple of golden chances.

Subs:
Kayal 6. Did OK.
Murray not on long enough.
Izquierdo ditto

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

Reminds me of Wayne Bridge's final season with us. Shame we can't get another season out of Murray, but can't see it happening.

We have needed a a couple of very good and proven youngish strikers for at least a few seasons now. It's worth spending 40 mil on a couple of young/prime strikers in Jan (which would pretty much guarantee safety) rather than the risk of losing at least £100 million and being relegated.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Amazing how others see the game. I thought March and Knockheart were well below their usual standard today. AK's head didn't look in the right place and March got muscled off the ball and gave it away cheaply.

Tomer was up to his usual standard, which sadly is way too short for this level. If we had anything approaching a decent striker on the pitch today we would have been 3-0 up within 20 minutes.

Watford are in trouble if they couldn't get points off a team with those three performances. Otherwise we were solid and plenty of positives to take today.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Did someone call March languid? From where I was in the east he really put in a shift.

Ryan -7 all good until the 93rd

Bruno - 8 assured.

Dunk- 7 solid

Goldson - 8 considering his lack of football I thought he was superb.

Suttner - 8 up for it and better on the ball than Bong if not quite as fast

Propper- 8 classy. Just wish he could be more of a threat in final third

Stephens - 8 good shift

March -8. Constant threat. Should trust his right foot a little more though

Knockaert- 7 loads of effort but over elaborates and perhaps tries a bit too hard

Gross- 9 goal, workrate, clever player

Hemed -8 lacks a yard but some sublime touches. Intelligent and linked well with Pascal

Kayal - looked solid, Murray and Jose- too short a time to rate

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Reminds me of Wayne Bridge's final season with us. Shame we can't get another season out of Murray, but can't see it happening.

We have needed a a couple of very good and proven youngish strikers for at least a few seasons now. It's worth spending 40 mil on a couple of young/prime strikers in Jan (which would pretty much guarantee safety) rather than the risk of losing at least £100 million and being relegated.
Good post.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ryan 6. That drop at the end could have been disastrous. Otherwise sound.
Bruno 6 I feared for him against Richarlison but he kept him quiet.
Suttner 6 Bit more umph going forward today.
Dunk 7 standard dunk. We need him to convert the odd set piece though
Goldson 9 for a first prem game that was seriously impressive.
Knockaert 6 sometime very soon he is going to rip a team a new one . Not today though
Stephens 6. Ok, but sometimes wish he was more assertive in possession, drive us forward
Propper 6 generally quiet game
March 5 ran a lot but took the wrong option more often than not
Gross 7. Gomes should have kept it out but he won us the game. Industrious
Hemed 7. Extra point for effort but his first touch and finishing aren’t really up to it. We simply must turn periods of dominance into goals if we are to stay up. Got to love him though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here