Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Surprising Allardyce press conference

39 Not allowed!
    After visiting North Liverpool Foodbank on Thursday -

"It's extremely depressing that a country of this magnitude and where it thinks it lies can allow so many food banks to be operating in this country,

"But for the goodwill of the Liverpool people - and the fans have a big say in the food bank that we went to in helping donate food for people less fortunate - I think it's going back to the Dark Ages to allow it to continue.

"And it's not only allowing it to continue, it's growing at a rapid pace where people who are in work, not just on benefits, cannot afford to live at a decent level and have to go to a food bank to feed themselves and their children.

"I think it's incredibly sad that a country like ours has allowed that to happen and will continue to allow it to happen.

"I think it's a disgrace - apart from the people who actually work in it. They're out of this world."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42460641

I'm not his biggest fan but well said, BFS!
    Mackay: I'm going to book you for that.
    Cooper: You what?
    Mackay: What's your name, Cooper?
    Cooper: Cooper.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

The oldest known computer

18 Not allowed!
      It’s also incredibly sad and depressing that this lecture comes from a man of dubious integrity, who gets paid £6,000,000.00 a year to manage a football team and who only really cares about his own bank balance.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Antikythera Mechanism View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It’s also incredibly sad and depressing that this lecture comes from a man of dubious integrity, who gets paid £6,000,000.00 a year to manage a football team and who only really cares about his own bank balance.
      You're posting on a football messageboard moaning about it.

11 Not allowed!
      Tories making Britain crap again

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Antikythera Mechanism View Post
      Agreed. When he got caught offering advice on how to break the rules in exchange for a lot of money he was the highest paid international manager in the world by a considerable margin. What next, Damian Green to become an IT security officer?
      My music blog: de-minimis music

5 Not allowed!
      We could all do more, but the richest few percent could really make a difference by donating some of the money they skim off their taxes with clever legal loopholes by making relatively small donations to charities who could then "pay it forward", as it were.

They won't, because the whole world is greedy (myself included). But I find it hard to stomach those comments from a man who could do so much to help people, and I'm sure he does do some things. His comments are on the money.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Football is the epitome of capitalist economics: huge benefits for those with the best abilities (or those able to work hard to make the best of what they have), little or none for those who can't make the grade.

A UK wealth tax would probably pay for quite a few food banks (though whether that would entirely eliminate the need for them is another matter) and high earners in football would have to pay a lot more tax, though I'm sure they have to pay quite a lot already (accountancy practices notwithstanding). The end result would be less competitive UK clubs, though internally in the UK we would probably see just as competitive a league as before, but without any 'superstars'.

0 Not allowed!
      Surprisingly prescient:

"Business leaders and politicians have long realised that there is much to be learned from the world of low-to-mid Premier League football. But what about the rest of us? What can the former manager of England, Crystal Palace and literally nine other teams teach us about our own lives?"
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Viper View Post
      You're posting on a football messageboard moaning about it.
      Sorry but it's a reasonable statement. Who says this isn't just bit of well advised PR from a man not generally respected or ackoweleged as some major humanitarian. Back it up with confirmation of a sizable donation and perhaps history of similar gestures and I might be convinced of the sincerity.