Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion lost £38.9million in 2016/17

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks for the explanation.
Do you think it's fair that laws allow clubs to rack up massive debts, just to convert them to shares ?

An owner and shareholders converting debt into equity is long standing in our economy. In football there could be an arguement that where that debt is for running costs then no, but that’s what’s FFP is for. For us it’s gone into predominantly infrastructure and our community. Great. What have Palace done? Gone bankrupt a couple of times and taken money away from the community. Shame on you

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
An owner and shareholders converting debt into equity is long standing in our economy. In football there could be an arguement that where that debt is for running costs then no, but that’s what’s FFP is for. For us it’s gone into predominantly infrastructure and our community. Great. What have Palace done? Gone bankrupt a couple of times and taken money away from the community. Shame on you

They've spent shit loads of money on players and wages though, cost them two administrations, surely that's better than infrastructure? I find it quite astounding that Palace supporters would comment on money spent by clubs. There is a good way to spend and a bad way. They just don't get it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
They've spent shit loads of money on players and wages though, cost them two administrations, surely that's better than infrastructure? I find it quite astounding that Palace supporters would comment on money spent by clubs. There is a good way to spend and a bad way. They just don't get it.

You’re right SN, it’s the Palace and Croydon way, shit on your own community

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
What were your parachute payments in 16?

If we'd have done it in '16, which we were a hairs breadth away as you know, it would have been a 25m loss rather than 40m, and a sizeable chunk of that was the training ground. Blooms big success was doubling down on the 16 season, selling no-one and adding the missing pieces (Murray, Duffy) that turned the near miss into comfortable promotion. It cost money, but perhaps one of the safer bets he's made at the Albion.

Burnley's TV income in 2015-16 was £29.6m including parachute payments; Brighton's TV income was £7.6m, so the net parachute money was £22m.

Your £25m loss in 2015-16 didn't include training ground construction costs, because they're capitalised and added to fixed assets. They don't hit the profit and loss account.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At least Brighton and their fans haven't claimed achieving a "Fairytale Promotion" against all odds.....like Bournemouth.
Comparing our spending with theirs seems wide of the mark. I believe they were one of the divisions top spenders, we were not.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Has this been answered yet?

No, but not sure we have enough detail to be able to answer it. The para "Profit and Sustainability Rules" on p4 is clear that Albion did comply with the rules; however that may be because last season was the first of the three year rule that losses cannot exceed £39m over three seasons. The statement is true but begs question of how it is true, i.e. whether it is true only because the lower losses in 14/15 and 15/16 made the 16/17 loss sustainable, and, if so, what the maths is. It is further complicated by fact that FFP is now done in year to end March so the annual accounts do not include th actual numbers used to establish compliance.

What we really need to know is whether the adjusted loss was less than the £13m 'average' sustainable loss; looks unlikely but we do know there were £9.1m promotion costs that can be excluded from FFP (I read 'costs' to be 'bonuses' in FFP speak), and the accounts mention on p4 that the increase in football costs included Academy costs, which are also excluded. Arguably, the promo bonuses are not a function of 16/17 accounts anyway for FFP because, as I pointed out, FFP is calculated to end March and bonuses paid afterwards (yes, fellow accountants, are/should they be accrued?).

This is probably one where we supporters simply have to trust those who run the club. Personally, I can think of no-one I would trust more than TB in this respect.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
This has come out a week before the transfer window opens! Possibly a big player going and no new recruits? its a shame if we dont get anyone in as it is obvious to all that we have a Prem team with Championship strikers!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This has come out a week before the transfer window opens! Possibly a big player going and no new recruits? its a shame if we dont get anyone in as it is obvious to all that we have a Prem team with Championship strikers!

Not sure why you’re linking last year’s finances to the upcoming transfer window........even if TB wasn’t able/willing to put more money in, the minimum £100 million of extra revenue this season means there’s enough in the kitty to buy a couple of players and not have to sell anyone.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I think this is more TB playing poker with the teams we will be negotiating transfer fees with. It lets them know there isnt a bottomless pit and asking stupid sums is just going to turn us away. We usually release these figures later on so I agree there seems to be a deliberate timing with this.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The parachute payment was £25.937m

When you receive parachute money from the Premier you don't get a share in the Championship TV money, so from that specific source Brighton got about £4m, Burnley got nothing. So the net effective parachute money was £22m.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
At least Brighton and their fans haven't claimed achieving a "Fairytale Promotion" against all odds.....like Bournemouth.

None of us ever claimed that ya prize muppet...the media did. A few argued FFP but we all knew damned well what we were spending....Is Dyche still claiming he has nothing to spend - despite outdoing us in the last window ?

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Pretty certain someone who has invested £300,000,000. in the club has more than £300,000,001 to his name.

Fella keeps his cards very close to his chest, quite rightly, but I doubt their are many, if any, chairman in this league with more money than our Tony.

And that includes the London lot.

TB

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yet we were still about 9th on playing budget inn the championship weren’t we? Love the fact we really didn’t buy promotion despite the palace fans on here doing their best to insinuate it...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
None of us ever claimed that ya prize muppet...the media did. A few argued FFP but we all knew damned well what we were spending....Is Dyche still claiming he has nothing to spend - despite outdoing us in the last window ?

There were Bournemouth fans on here who were shrill in their protestations that no ffp limits were breached. Insistent and often present the year of your promotion, so wind your neck in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here