Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] (not) Chaos on the Road

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Every year we have a story like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42445966

- predicting doom and chaos on the roads on the last working day before the Christmas break. It is then followed by shock and surprise when it turns out to be quieter than a usual Friday. Why are these organisations incapable of taking what they discovered last year and modifying their predictions in the light of the observed facts?

Maybe its the same affliction that affects opinion pollsters.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One possible explanation could be (although I don't totally buy into it) that people who were planning to get on the road read the story and think 'forget that' and stay put. You get lots of people thinking the same way and chaos is averted.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its just lazy journalism. organisation puts out a press release, junior writes it up as a story and off to the pub by lunch time.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
People will always believe stuff they can read

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It gives people something to talk about when they get together on Christmas Day. The roads and the weather alone will get the average British family through to the cheese course.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just been up to Gatwick and back. Traffic completely, er, normal
Went into town this morning. Car park half full, no queue at all at the butchers
Weather is grey and very mild with little wind, like most Decembers I can remember in recent years. Forecast is for the same for the next several days. The much-headlined 'Arctic Christmas' doesn't seem to be happening........

All very boring

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
One possible explanation could be (although I don't totally buy into it) that people who were planning to get on the road read the story and think 'forget that' and stay put. You get lots of people thinking the same way and chaos is averted.

Until fecking Sunday when I've got to drive to Devon.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Went into town this morning. Car park half full, no queue at all at the butchers
Weather is grey and very mild with little wind, like most Decembers I can remember in recent years. Forecast is for the same for the next several days. The much-headlined 'Arctic Christmas' doesn't seem to be happening........

All very boring
That story should see you through to lunchtime Xmas day

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

All very boring

Quelle surprise.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It's always dead, even in downtown Charlotte today I expect it to be a deadzone at 5pm when I go home. People either leave early or they're already off due to kids etc. These last few days before Xmas and other holidays are always the best for traffic not the worst.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I drove down to Tiverton on Xmas day left at 9 and arrived at 12.30,barely a car on the road and Xmas music on the radio,one of the nicest journeys I've done.

Exactly what I suggested but my wife says we need to be there on Christmas eve

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's always dead, even in downtown Charlotte today I expect it to be a deadzone at 5pm when I go home. People either leave early or they're already off due to kids etc. These last few days before Xmas and other holidays are always the best for traffic not the worst.

Hmmm when people bandy about the words deadzone and usa it gives me the shivers, especially if you add the phrase gun control, (or lack of it)..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And likewise, there will be folk desperately queuing in a futile quest for tickets for the sold out FA cup round 3 game shortly :lolol:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Quiet in Hastings and Battle today.

Drove from Bath yesterday and very quiet. Even managed some Xmas shopping at the Amex and again no crowds in sight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I drove down to Tiverton on Xmas day left at 9 and arrived at 12.30,barely a car on the road and Xmas music on the radio,one of the nicest journeys I've done.

Going down to Tivvy (well, Uffculme but close enough) next Thursday evening. Gambling on an evening run between Xmas and New Year being pretty quiet.........can be under 3 hours from Burgess Hill if clear.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here