Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Anyone going to burn the clocks tonight?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Brilliant evening, especially after such a drab day! So glad to be back in this fair city after many years living away. Great tradition just at the start of the Christmas hols!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No clue what it even was until today. It's been a thing for a shorter period of time than the premier league it seems

I'm just surprised Lewes didn't do it first.

Then you are clearly not a Brightonian. I didn’t go tonight but it is a terrific tradition enjoyed by thousands of people each year, long may it continue

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I believe it was meant to finish by 8pm. The fireworks didn't start until 8:30 and several small children had already gone by then either because it was getting late or the kids were bored hanging around.

Maybe if they hadn't burned the clocks it would have been easier for them to keep to the proper schedule.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I believe it was meant to finish by 8pm. The fireworks didn't start until 8:30 and several small children had already gone by then either because it was getting late or the kids were bored hanging around.

I had this problem, went with a four year old and a 6 year old who both became agitated due to how long it dragged out, ended up leaving just before the fireworks started. Think we might join the parade next year.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
It was very good with thousands of people in brighton. We caught up with the parade by the town hall...really impressive Indian bangrah band, few samba bands and loads of people with fantastic lanterns, paper dragons etc.

Interesting that although it is a pagan festival, there was a huge Ganesh statue, a cockerel as it is the year of the cockerel and other " religious" symbols, but nothing remotely Christian.

Really poignant bit whilst the " clocks " burned, the pa guy read out names of people had died in the year.

Fantastic fireworks also!

This is what I love about brighton!

Sounds great - do you have any photos?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Didn't it actually start when the Premier League season had just begun in 1993? Definitely been going 20+ years.

It is to Christmas tradition what the premier league is to football. Indeed.

It's the maddest thing ever, totally made up. It's just too funny. Out of all the laughable nonsense that goes on in Brighton this is a belter. It's straight out of the simpsons, like something they would compete with Shelbyville on. But the scary thing is it is real.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
It was very good with thousands of people in brighton. We caught up with the parade by the town hall...really impressive Indian bangrah band, few samba bands and loads of people with fantastic lanterns, paper dragons etc.

Interesting that although it is a pagan festival, there was a huge Ganesh statue, a cockerel as it is the year of the cockerel and other " religious" symbols, but nothing remotely Christian.

Really poignant bit whilst the " clocks " burned, the pa guy read out names of people had died in the year.

I haven't been for a few years and was very impressed ... couldn't believe the turn out

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It is to Christmas tradition what the premier league is to football. Indeed.

It's the maddest thing ever, totally made up
. It's just too funny. Out of all the laughable nonsense that goes on in Brighton this is a belter. It's straight out of the simpsons, like something they would compete with Shelbyville on. But the scary thing is it is real.

Oh the irony! Of course god, the virgin birth and santa claus are all much more plausible. The burning of the clocks is based on SCIENTIFIC FACT - the shortest day of the year.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Sounds great - do you have any photos?

P1080736.jpg

P1080738.jpg

P1080740.jpg

P1080741.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

The lady who organised it said that this year's theme was "East", hence the Asian stuff.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Then you are clearly not a Brightonian. I didn’t go tonight but it is a terrific tradition enjoyed by thousands of people each year, long may it continue

Err... hasn't this thing has been going like a decade? Hardly a tradition is it... Unless you're the kind of plank who thinks x factor is traditional too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here