Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Anyone going to burn the clocks tonight?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I assume it will be heaving?

If you have been before, where do you normally try and stand to Watch?

Someone said don't bother trying to watch it through the town, head down to Madeira drive and watch from there.....can you see if from the beach or pier?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Do they throw all the old clocks on a big bonfire?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't know what this is? Long-time tradition?

A brief outline :)

The people of Brighton & Hove gather together to make paper and willow lanterns to carry through their city and burn on the beach as a token for the end of the year.

Every year on 21st December, the shortest day of the year, Same Sky – Brighton’s community art charity – produces a much-loved free event in Brighton called Burning the Clocks. The event combines a family lantern procession with a spectacular fire and fireworks show, bringing the whole city together to celebrate.

Burning the Clocks is a unique community event in which local people make their own paper and willow lanterns. After carrying them through the city in a lantern parade they pass them into the fire on Brighton beach, as a token of the year’s end. Then a dazzling fire show is set in motion, in which a massive fire sculpture is ignited, live music plays, and fireworks light up the sky!

Burning the Clocks was created in 1994 as a way to celebrate the festive season regardless of faith or creed. It is free and the route is suitable for all ages and abilities. Over 2,000 people now take part in the parade and over 20,000 spectators turn out to watch.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BURN them! :flameboun

simpsons-movie-limited-edition-giclee-on-paper-mob-with-torches-1.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A good vantage point is along Marine Parade, along towards the lift.

But you need to get there reasonably early to get a good position.. :)

You can watch from the pier, but Marine Parade is as good as any viewpoint. The kids make a lot of the decorations that are burnt. The fireworks are quite good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I gather it is very friendly. Battery not included.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was thinking of going, but its beginning to sound alarming.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yet another nonsense event that effectively closes the centre of Brighton when people are trying to get home, should be banned I have not time for this

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here