Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] European Weekend Break (with teenagers)

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
Lyon have a home fixture that Saturday but I guess tickets are difficult? Thanks for your thoughts though and would be Eurostar all the way. AirBNB?

Stadium is big and out of town so I wouldn't think tickets will be difficult unless they're playing PSG, Marseille or Saint Etienne (the latter is a fairly bitter rivalry). Not sure about AirBNBs, we camped last summer - I'm sure they'll be plenty of options in April.

There's an adventure park http://www.france-aventures.com/fr/nos-parc-fr/lyon (Zip wires, rope climbs, skateboarding) which is within walking distance of the city centre and the Vieux (Old Town) is great to wander round.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would suggest to OP in a wider scheme of things that he is probably doing his teenage kids no favours at all by pandering to their airport-aversion whims. Airports are NOBODY's idea of fun. We tolerate the experience though, in pursuit of the bigger prize. OP's kids are going to miss out on some magical short haul cultural experiences at bargain basement prices. Whatever happened to Generation Easyjet? Did Generation Snowflake beat them on penalties in the final?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Thanks, just the flying that would put them off, think it needs to be rail or ferry and car (they don't like travelling so I'm thinking train is easier to move around etc? Thanks for your thoughts

I've heard Arundel is nice in April.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Bruges or Gent maybe? Take car on Eurotunnel, driving to either is easy once France side.

Had a weekend in Gent 2 weeks ago with my wife and daughter. Great city with boat trips, a castle with a torture equipment exhibition, lively at night, good choice of restaurants , all the sites are an easy walk and it is beautiful. It may seem a bit shallow but they had BBC tv in the apartment and English language shows on Flemish TV are subtitled which could be a blessing with teenagers in rest periods. We got Eurostar tickets to 'any Belgian Station' changed at Brussels Midi for a 30 min journey, trains every 20 mins. Recommended.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
The Park of the moving image ( I think ) at Futuroscope between Poitiers and Limoges in France?Dunno if Eurostar is an option for you though I'm afraid, only ever done it by motorbike when passing by. You might,if you get there consider Oradour sur Glane which is quite close by I think. Deserted, and left as ransacked, by the German army as they passed through,very moving and informative. Good luck and have a good time with the young 'uns.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know how helpful you all can be and just wondered if anyone had an idea for a weekend mini break, with teenage boys(12 & 14), in Europe in April. I want it to be different and boys not keen on the whole airport experience some am thinking Eurostar or train? They have an inset day on the Monday so can stretch very late Fri to Monday eve.

Whilst my Wife and I will both be going with them I do also want Mrs OW to enjoy it so wasn't thinking a football fest, she has enough of that!

Any thoughts / past experiences please

Top Tip from Pretty Pink Fairy fairly cheap, educational and a real life experience your boys would never forget.

Jump on the Eurostar and arrive in lovely Paris, just minutes walk from Stalingrad Metro station there is a very cheap campsite.....

:facepalm:

Attachments

• 39CF3C7500000578-3882218-image-a-57_1477667548462.jpg
    39CF3C7500000578-3882218-image-a-57_1477667548462.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 134

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
To hell with taking Eurostar to those dull Northern European dumps. Tell the kiddo’s they are going to Seville - and they are going to love it. SleezyJet’s first flight lands there about 10.15am. Probably less travel time and possibly less cost than anything that poxy train has to offer - and you get to visit a really fab city.

Following the Dieppe ferry option, without a car (£30 a head return)under-rated Rouen is an easy 1 hour train journey, loads of cheap hotels, tons to see and some cracking restaurants and bars! Too many tourist sites to list.
I second the ww1 or ww2 sites options but these are more easily reached via Portsmouth/Caen (decent castle) for the Normandy Landing beaches. If you don't mind dragging up to Kent, from Calais the Ypres salient or Arras make good centres if you want a bit of lad friendly history

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Edinburgh? The old city is really atmospheric, good dining, (relatively) easy to get to. WW1 battlefield are a good call - stay in the Hesdin area not so far from Boulogne and you are close to key sites. If you go to somewhere like Seville make sure you go to the bullfighting museum, but don't necessarily go to a bullfight!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Edinburgh? The old city is really atmospheric, good dining, (relatively) easy to get to. WW1 battlefield are a good call - stay in the Hesdin area not so far from Boulogne and you are close to key sites. If you go to somewhere like Seville make sure you go to the bullfighting museum, but don't necessarily go to a bullfight!

Yes Edinburgh is a good call. The old city at night is quite creepy especially if you go on a ghost walk. You can also bond with the locals by complimenting them on their extensive tram network. Maybe go by train and hope off in Newcastle.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Take your pick with kids as we have been on city breaks with ours to Milan, Paris, Brussels, Munich, Berlin, Barcelona, Prague, Budapest, Valencia and Amsterdam.

Buy a Lonely Planet guide and all have plenty of things for both adults and kids.

My preferred choice would be Barcelona it really is very good and so much to see and do.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Plumped for Croatia, the kids will have to suck up the travelling inconvenience for what will be a fab apartment with it's on pool, sauna, hot tub etc near the beach surrounded by great restaurants, it also comes with free bike hire and airport shuttle. All booked and two days of rest and fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here