Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 12,342 ticket remaining for palace

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I got the impression that the club in the latter Withdean years and early Amex years dished out bans (or withdrawing s/t’s) like confetti? Largely under the regime of Hebberd. Zero tolerance towards stuff like persistent standing or swearing in the Amex NS or Withdean SS, enforced with an iron rod. From the front row of WSU, bored by Poyet/Garcia’s football, we used to watch steward hit squads persistently singling out people for an early exit.

Do that a load of times over a few years and the club diluted any chance of a vociferous home support section.

It never gets mentioned on NSC, just p taking, but I often wonder if Steve Parish has gone down the opposite route with their brats, to help get an atmosphere going? Rather than banning people left, right and centre, creating a sterile NS.

Interested to know the thoughts of others.

Yep - nail on head. Completely over the top stewarding, treating fans badly and dealing with complaints by responding with lies and threats. Hebberd and that fat guy that was safety officer seemed to be loving it all. Abhorrent behaviour and excused or maybe even encouraged by those still there and in high positions.

Palace certainly did take the opposite route, completely prostituting themselves in desperation of some sort of atmosphere.

There's a clear middle ground and we thankfully have turned towards that more now - just a real shame that they went all weird for a few seasons. Totally unnecessary.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep - nail on head. Completely over the top stewarding, treating fans badly and dealing with complaints by responding with lies and threats. Hebberd and that fat guy that was safety officer seemed to be loving it all. Abhorrent behaviour and excused or maybe even encouraged by those still there and in high positions.

Palace certainly did take the opposite route, completely prostituting themselves in desperation of some sort of atmosphere.

There's a clear middle ground and we thankfully have turned towards that more now - just a real shame that they went all weird for a few seasons. Totally unnecessary.

That was my take. Although I’ve always been on the right side of the law, I felt sorry for some of those singled out. It seemed over the top with the ‘spotters’, all over modern infractions. I know it’s the law and that could be repercussions for clubs, but on many visits to other stadia such as Anfield, WHL, complete ends have always stood, with the clubs not doing anything serious about it,

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
That was my take. Although I’ve always been on the right side of the law, I felt sorry for some of those singled out. It seemed over the top with the ‘spotters’, all over modern infractions. I know it’s the law and that could be repercussions for clubs, but on many visits to other stadia such as Anfield, WHL, complete ends have always stood, with the clubs not doing anything serious about it,

So you are in favour of supporters around you being denied seeing the game,would you do this at a cinema or theatre,because management would take action against you

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Come to think of it, we used to get a telling off from a female steward we used to call the battleaxe most games at the start..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So you are in favour of supporters around you being denied seeing the game,would you do this at a cinema or theatre,because management would take action against you

If half the NS wants to stand a lot, especially in the back half, I haven’t got a problem with that. I prefer to sit myself.

In the cinema and theatre, patrons don’t chant, swear, abuse opposing players, jump up and down, disappear for a p, disappear and miss a load of the action to get pints in for their mates, and leave on 70 minutes to win the race for the first train. Totally incomparable.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
If half the NS wants to stand a lot, especially in the back half, I haven’t got a problem with that. I prefer to sit myself.

In the cinema and theatre, patrons don’t chant, swear, abuse opposing players, jump up and down, disappear for a p, disappear and miss a load of the action to get pints in for their mates, and leave on 70 minutes to win the race for the first train. Totally incomparable.

Obviously never went to the Rex in Newhaven in the sixties

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
One is serving two and half years in jail (for violent disorder) and another is awaiting trial for more specific charges, in the next few weeks.

the italian bloke who is on film whacking the irish lad is "awaiting extradition" from italy to face charges ..........if the shoe was on the other foot we wouldn't be able to hand the accused over quick enough ......it was a rhetorical mate ....but thanks anyway....:thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Indeed. Ajax fans tucked away in the corner miles away from the home fans, the home fans go on to the running track area in front of them and lob petrol bombs and flares into the away end, so the local police's response is to go in to the Ajax fans and start battering them.

If a Palace fan got on to the pitch and chucked a flare into the North Stand, or even did it outside the ground, it would be front page news here. It's amazing how tame English football is compared to continental football, considering the reputation English fans still have. Half the Amex would have a bloody heart attack if they went to football in some grounds in Europe.

i thought i would enhance a visit to Morocco with few cups of hash tea and a visit to a football game , Agadir vs Marrakesh.....back in the mid 80's....probably the most insane couple of hours of my life ......bonkers in fact..!!

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Your new fan base doesn’t get the rivalry .

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Palace in the championship couldn't sell out 750 away tickets at Withdean.
Palace doing well in the championship averaged 16k
Palace in the Premier League has one of the lowest percentage full stadium stats- this is in a 24k 'stadium'!
Palace in the Premier League think they've the best support in the country but rent a mob to generate an atmosphere and are now controlled by the mob
Palace are deluded and ignore fact
Palace make me smile

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Your new fan base doesn’t get the rivalry .

Neither does yours, I work with a Palace friend who unlike you is sane and reasonable, but he first watched when you were cheating your way to an elevated position by not selling your best players and we were having fun in lower league football. He often goes to watch BHA and 'quite likes them' as does his son who supports both clubs. None of his mates gets the rivalry whereas his dad's lot certainly does.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Your true fan base is much smaller.

Much, much smaller.

I was at a social last night and in amongst football chat. Now live in Croydon so little excerpts..

"they really hate us down there"

"never felt such a venomous home support down there"

"fear of my well being down there"

and best of all

"I hate to say it but they are a club going places unlike our festering wart ridden club"

I tell no lies.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will the Goonsquad be chucking other fans out of their seats again ?

I suppose they need to practice their seat stealing before turfing 400 loyal fans out next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here