Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do I not understand the rules of football?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It’s not just about who gets there first. Was he not in control of his tackle? Were his studs showing? Two footed? Did he jump in?

Any one of those and it’s a dangerous tackle and could constitute a red.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Where in the rules of the game does it say anything about "getting the ball"?

Whether something is a yellow or red is almost nothing to do with what happens to the ball, when it comes to reckless play, endangerment of the opposition or excessive force.

Remember when Kompany got sent off for flying in on Nani, even though Nani jumped out of the way and there was no contact? Red was the correct decision.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
It’s not just about who gets there first. Was he not in control of his tackle? Were his studs showing? Two footed? Did he jump in?

Any one of those and it’s a dangerous tackle and could constitute a red.

In light of these answers, where does this leave Dale's tackle on Ramirez against Boro two seasons ago?

That's not a pointed question, by the way. Genuinely interested to see where the rules/law say the line is as all the pundits seem to have differing opinions!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In light of these answers, where does this leave Dale's tackle on Ramirez against Boro two seasons ago?

That's not a pointed question, by the way. Genuinely interested to see where the rules/law say the line is as all the pundits seem to have differing opinions!

His studs were up which is why it was given. However the mitigating circumstances (with blue and white spectacles) is that he wasn't really endangering Ramirez and he hadn't lost control.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
His studs were up which is why it was given. However the mitigating circumstances (with blue and white spectacles) is that he wasn't really endangering Ramirez and he hadn't lost control.

Surely it was Ramirez that made contact with Dale and not the other way round. It was Ramirez who was endangering himself

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Graham Poll on BT Sport said that how much of the ball was taken would be taken into consideration, but that he felt it was a red card for Ali because he only got a tiny bit of the ball, but went in with intent. However, I'm not sure how much credibility his opinion holds since he said City should have had a penalty in the match when one of the Spurs players simply made the tiniest of movement with two hands on the back of a City player in the penalty box. I reckon the wind probably applied more force at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here