Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do I not understand the rules of football?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Need some help. Watching City v Spurs and saw the Delle Alli challenge v De Bruyne. Pundits saying it's a red and I'm sitting here not even thinking it's a foul. Alli wins the ball. De Bruyne is late to it. Reminds me of the Stephens/Ramirez incident. If a player gets to the ball first, surely it's his for the taking? Or have I not kept up with the times regarding football rules?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Need some help. Watching City v Spurs and saw the Delle Alli challenge v De Bruyne. Pundits saying it's a red and I'm sitting here not even thinking it's a foul. Alli wins the ball. De Bruyne is late to it. Reminds me of the Stephens/Ramirez incident. If a player gets to the ball first, surely it's his for the taking? Or have I not kept up with the times regarding football rules?

The idea that just because a player “gets to the ball first” its not a foul is very dated. At the very least if the ref deems the player to be playing in a careless/dangerous/excessive manner it’s a foul.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tonny Emilio Trindade de Vilhena also doesn't understand the rules of football.

Feyenoord scored 7 yesterday with 6 different scorers.

Shame on you Tonny, shame.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Tough one but it was dangerous, yes he just about gets to the ball first but his foot was off the ground with studs showing. Absolutely no malice and no intent to hurt De Bruyne and only had eyes on the ball but in a 50/50 challenge like that, he can't have his foot like that.

A 50/50 challenge like that is always a tough one for a player, Alli could have slid in like De Bruyne and got injured himself, or he could have not gone for the ball at all, but then get accused of not trying to win the ball.

I am no football genius, but yes it was probably a red card offense but in a split second decision like he had the 3 choices I stated above and not one of them was going to be a good one. I will of course happily be proven wrong with another option he could've taken though.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You have proved you know f@@k all about football. There isn't any rules only laws.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I think a challenge like this is just stupidity more than anything else. I don't believe for one second that Ali wanted to break De Bruynes ankle. But the idiots that play football often don't make the correlation between flying in with your studs up and ruining someones career.

He's a hothead and in that moment he only cared about winning the ball and had no regard for De Bruyne. How he didn't do more damage is beyond me...

https://imgur.com/a/7HdGT

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I'd happily watch the pundits take 10 questions about the laws of the game.

My bugbear is the "he wasn't even looking at him/no intent". Players have spatial awareness.

SAC

May 21, 2014
You are allowed to put your arms around a player in the penalty box but not in other areas of the pitch, another strange rule?

It's political correctness gawn mad.

Dele Alli is an occasionally brilliant footballer but also a horrible thug who is lucky he plays for Spurs otherwise he would get sent off every other match he plays.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I used to watch Dave Turner take out the opposition winger and ball every home game - winger with ball heads down left wing heading to north stand goal. Turner slides in and deposits man and ball against the advertising boards. After that it was their throw, but the winger never tried it again. Of course, in those days you were also allowed to shoulder-charge their keeper into the net if you could.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here