Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] #SPOTY - rather a mess, this year?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm probably going to fly in the face of popular opinion here, and I didn't see the show at all last night (except the last 5 mins), but what has this maudlin nonsense got to do with sport? I don't mean any offense to the Lowery family here, but they have already been afforded incredible publicity by the wider footballing world to immense positive effect. What about all the other hundreds of heartbreaking stories out there? I seriously don't think this has a place in SPOTY. Are we going to do this every year? It's the television equivalent of all those minute's applause that we've had at the Amex for people who have passed away.

I don't like it because it's little more than showing human kindness by proxy. If you want to show you care, get involved with a worthy charity, don't sit through this talking about sadness and unfairness whilst getting ready to shout at anyone who finds it inappropriate.

It was surprisingly upbeat, and a tribute to the caring side of football. The charity is doing amazing work, so I felt it was appropriate. There wasn't anything maudlin about it, imo.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So glad Froome didn't win. What sort of message would it send out if a drugs cheat won? Glad a good clean athlete like Mo won with no connection to drugs. None whatsoever.

The other point is the results. After the shitfest of a few years ago about the all male short list, the 4 women fill places 9, 10, 11 and 12.

Probably a trivial point, given some of the stuff that's been posted on social media, but 'alleged', Shirley? Just in case, like...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Drug cheat? You know that for a fact so you? Excellent...can you provide your evidence to the relevant authorities and then we can have him pilloried...or do you work for the tabloids?

Mo Farrah said that the reason he wasn't there is that his kids were not well and that is why he didn't want to be away from them.

Most amazing thing for me last night was the business with overseas personality...given to fed, but no interview, and not even making something of it....in the old days, that was a real highlight of the show...remember tyson's interview with frank Bruno...

I thought it was all a bit odd last night.

Brexit, innit :jester:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed it is a tradition to find a bizarre reason to give an award to a member of the extended royal family.

I was very disappointed Lewes Hamilton didn't win. Sure 8 Wimbledon wins is a fantastic achievement, but he hasn't dominated the way that Lewes has.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Lewis Hamilton didn't win because motor racing isn't a real sport and Hamilton has zero "personality". Mind you, do any of them have much personality? Which leads me on to another point, why the hell was it ever called Spotrs Personailty of the Year? Why not just Sports Person of the Year?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The only reason he has dominated is because he had the best car by a country mile. He has become a jumped up git.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Exactly. It's much more about the car than the driver. With all other sports (except those with gee-gees involved) it's only the effort of the athlete that wins or loses the race.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And at one point Claire balding saying “isn’t this the best interview ever?” (oh, by me).

Another British institution hijacked by the PC brigade

Been shite for years and means f@@k all

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I get the feeling that the sportsmen and women nominated cant really be arsed with it. Im sure if they really believed in the awards they would make the effort and actually be there !

Exactly. As someone who has always struggled to understand the appeal of SPOTY and has never watched it this probably isn't the thread for me, but I can't imagine too many sports bods get overly enthused about it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Like most BBC shows it is eminently watchable but fundamentally flawed.

There was no reason for SPOTY to show clips of Jonny Peacock on Strictly Come Dancing because it has absolutely nothing to do with this a sporting achievements on the track. However, you can guarantee that a lot of people voted for Johnny because they liked him on Strictly, they saw the clip which was right at the start of SPOTY, they were still in Strictly mode after the previous night's final and cast their votes.

Significantly, he pipped Anthony Joshua for 3rd place by a mere 18 votes.

Similarly, as soon as Mo Farah appeared with his young son and the comedy interview ensued I'm sure that won him a few thousand extra votes. He couldn't win under normal circumstances but "family man" Mo is another story.

It seems to me with SPOTY there are 2 groups of sportsmen/women: those in "Camp BBC" and those outside it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The obituaries were RATTLED through weren't they ? I don't expect a 60 second montage on every sportsman and woman who passed away this year, but cor lubbie - flashed up on the screen 3 at a time, you literally had about 3 seconds to peruse it before it went onto the next one. In most cases you had to decide whether to look at their pic or read underneath for their name and what they did. Pointless.

Either cover it properly, or don't bother.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The obituaries were RATTLED through weren't they ? I don't expect a 60 second montage on every sportsman and woman who passed away this year, but cor lubbie - flashed up on the screen 3 at a time, you literally had about 3 seconds to peruse it before it went onto the next one. In most cases you had to decide whether to look at their pic or read underneath for their name and what they did. Pointless.

Totally this. Two minutes of watching a fat lad sing and two minutes of speed reading a death list does not constitute a tribute unless it's for Biggie Smalls or Notorious B.I.G.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

It's because they had to finish in time for those twats on apprentice to **** about

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Surprised that Johanna Konta didn't make the top three but she'll always get the "not really British" argument.

Established in the top 10 of world tennis, first woman to reach the Wimbledon semis since 1978 (and about the only event that the BBC cover well from what they have left) and actually has a personality without being big-headed.

The bookmakers got it spectacularly wrong with Anthony Joshua 1/6 and Mo Farah 40/1.

Smoky McPot

May 12, 2009
Like most BBC shows it is eminently watchable but fundamentally flawed.

There was no reason for SPOTY to show clips of Jonny Peacock on Strictly Come Dancing because it has absolutely nothing to do with this a sporting achievements on the track. However, you can guarantee that a lot of people voted for Johnny because they liked him on Strictly, they saw the clip which was right at the start of SPOTY, they were still in Strictly mode after the previous night's final and cast their votes.

Significantly, he pipped Anthony Joshua for 3rd place by a mere 18 votes.

Similarly, as soon as Mo Farah appeared with his young son and the comedy interview ensued I'm sure that won him a few thousand extra votes. He couldn't win under normal circumstances but "family man" Mo is another story.

It seems to me with SPOTY there are 2 groups of sportsmen/women: those in "Camp BBC" and those outside it.

Wait, you actually mean at least 18 people actually voted???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here