Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] #SPOTY - rather a mess, this year?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And at one point Claire balding saying “isn’t this the best interview ever?” (oh, by me).

Another British institution hijacked by the PC brigade

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Losing tv link to the WINNER, ffs.

No backup? Skype?

Why wasnt Mo Farah at the ceremony?

Why spin the show out, with all those poncy poetic montages?

Why didnt Jermaine Defoe get the nod, for his support of Bradley Lowery..??

I kept seeing loads of comments about this over on Twatter. The thing is, why is it only last night people decided to be outraged? Or even mention it? Before then, I've not seen anyone suggest such a thing.

As for the rest of it, yeah the whole of Mo's stuff was a bit of a shambles, but that's live TV – it happens. Plus they always do the 'poetic montages' – or at least they have done for a number of years. But I think that the whole concept of a SPOTY show is becoming obsolete. We live in a society where not only is there wall-to-wall sports coverage on numerous TV channels as well as countless clips and comment on social platforms and a review of the year means a lot of people aren't really bothered about what's happened in the past because they've already experienced (and forgotten about) it. The fact that nearly half the nominees weren't in the audience speaks volumes too. Before, they would have made an effort to all be there, but there was an air of them not being arsed about it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
And at one point Claire balding saying “isn’t this the best interview ever?” (oh, by me).

Indeed it is a tradition to find a bizarre reason to give an award to a member of the extended royal family.

I was very disappointed Lewes Hamilton didn't win. Sure 8 Wimbledon wins is a fantastic achievement, but he hasn't dominated the way that Lewes has.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Gabby Logan was conducting the interview with Farah, not CB...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Gabby Logan was conducting the interview with Farah, not CB...

The first interview with Farah was CB. :xmas:

Apologies you are correct it was Gabby, then CB comes on afterwards and says that load of b**locks. :xmas:

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Mo Farah got it because 'it was his turn" - what has he done this year apart from pick up a gong from the Queen ?
Had Froome not had the alleged drugs problems hanging over him or Hamilton not hidden his money away one of them would have been a shoe in.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Indeed it is a tradition to find a bizarre reason to give an award to a member of the extended royal family.

I was very disappointed Lewes Hamilton didn't win. Sure 8 Wimbledon wins is a fantastic achievement, but he hasn't dominated the way that Lewes has.

The only reason he has dominated is because he had the best car by a country mile. He has become a jumped up git.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Mo Farah got it because 'it was his turn" - what has he done this year apart from pick up a gong from the Queen ?
Had Froome not had the alleged drugs problems hanging over him or Hamilton not hidden his money away one of them would have been a shoe in.

Apart from winning a Gold for the 10,000 and Silver in the 5,000 in the World Atthletics this summer, being the most successful British track athlete in history, and actually having a personality, yeah, Mo has done nothing this year

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Won 10,000m gold at the World Championships in August (only GB individual gold) and silver in the 5,000m.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Lowery family won an award, which is right, and also got publicity for the charity raising money for research, in Bradley's name.

el punal

Does Lewes Hamilton live near Lewis?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Does Lewes Hamilton live near Lewis?

No, but I'm pretty sure Lewes Dunk lives near there. :xmas:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So glad Froome didn't win. What sort of message would it send out if a drugs cheat won? Glad a good clean athlete like Mo won with no connection to drugs. None whatsoever.

The other point is the results. After the shitfest of a few years ago about the all male short list, the 4 women fill places 9, 10, 11 and 12.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only reason he has dominated is because he had the best car by a country mile. He has become a jumped up git.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Very much this.
Apart from winning a Gold for the 10,000 and Silver in the 5,000 in the World Atthletics this summer, being the most successful British track athlete in history, and actually having a personality, yeah, Mo has done nothing this year
And this. Absolutely delighted Farah won and I wasn't expecting it. He's a proper sportsman, dedicated to his trade and was at the top of the tree yet again this season.

I didn't watch any of it, partly because I'm bored of the whole format and partly because I can't stand Lewis Hamilton and presumed he'd win it.

One day I would absolutely love there to be a reason for an English male footballer to win it. Please please please, before I die, can there be a genuine affable gentleman who makes you proud to be English, responsible for English major trophy success in the national sport? Just once?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I get the feeling that the sportsmen and women nominated cant really be arsed with it. Im sure if they really believed in the awards they would make the effort and actually be there !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So glad Froome didn't win. What sort of message would it send out if a drugs cheat won? Glad a good clean athlete like Mo won with no connection to drugs. None whatsoever.

The other point is the results. After the shitfest of a few years ago about the all male short list, the 4 women fill places 9, 10, 11 and 12.

Drug cheat? You know that for a fact so you? Excellent...can you provide your evidence to the relevant authorities and then we can have him pilloried...or do you work for the tabloids?

Mo Farrah said that the reason he wasn't there is that his kids were not well and that is why he didn't want to be away from them.

Most amazing thing for me last night was the business with overseas personality...given to fed, but no interview, and not even making something of it....in the old days, that was a real highlight of the show...remember tyson's interview with frank Bruno...

I thought it was all a bit odd last night.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Lowery family won an award, which is right, and also got publicity for the charity raising money for research, in Bradley's name.
I'm probably going to fly in the face of popular opinion here, and I didn't see the show at all last night (except the last 5 mins), but what has this maudlin nonsense got to do with sport? I don't mean any offense to the Lowery family here, but they have already been afforded incredible publicity by the wider footballing world to immense positive effect. What about all the other hundreds of heartbreaking stories out there? I seriously don't think this has a place in SPOTY. Are we going to do this every year? It's the television equivalent of all those minute's applause that we've had at the Amex for people who have passed away.

I don't like it because it's little more than showing human kindness by proxy. If you want to show you care, get involved with a worthy charity, don't sit through this talking about sadness and unfairness whilst getting ready to shout at anyone who finds it inappropriate.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Biggest cock up since the Brit awards with Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood

That said, so happy for Farah. Up there with the Althetics greats of Bolt and Lewis. You should have been there Mo, but I guess he never thought he would win

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here