Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree. In this case the darts bloke was trying to impersonate a specific black person - he wasn't taking the piss out of her colour. If a black person wanted to impersonate Theresa May then the only realistic way they could do it would be to white up - that wouldn't be racist. This is no more racist than say Les Dawson dressing up as an old woman is sexist or ageist. The basket ball one on the other hand could be deemed as unacceptable.

I think it’s extremely insensitive for reasons others have explained.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So if you want to take the micky out of Donald Trump you would put on a stupid silver wig.

If you want to look like Diane Abbott you really do have to black up. I really don't see the issue?! and I like the 190 joke very much. The woman is clueless and deserves everything that is thrown at her until she gets out of politics.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I presume the reason people do black up is because there is barely any example of black figures from British history or culture you can lampoon, which is hardly surprising considering that in 1800 there were an estimated 10,000 blacks and 1,500 Asians living in the UK - from a total population of 20 million. The famous black people are all from modern day really, and this is presumably why people feel the need to "black up".

As a way of example of the obvious difference, I'll highlight my cousin's husband, who is a plump black guy. He's a jovial, likeable kind of guy and consequently every single year he dresses as up as Father Christmas and posts it all over Facebook. Everyone on his FB feed - black and white - is in absolute bits laughing about it. Every. Single. Year. Because he does indeed look hilarious.

Of course he doesn't "white up", but that is part of the joke. But there simply isn't an alternative the other way round.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I disagree. In this case the darts bloke was trying to impersonate a specific black person - he wasn't taking the piss out of her colour. If a black person wanted to impersonate Theresa May then the only realistic way they could do it would be to white up - that wouldn't be racist. This is no more racist than say Les Dawson dressing up as an old woman is sexist or ageist. The basket ball one on the other hand could be deemed as unacceptable.

Errr just print off a Dianne Abbott mask and then you avoid all the negative history of blacking up?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Showed the offending photo at a gathering in Perth yesterday afternoon and everyone, despite most knowing who Abbott was, couldn’t work out what all the fuss was about.
Have we gone PC mad in the UK?

And no Black and White Minstrel Xmas special this year on tv again I see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Except nobody has actually explained it. (unless I've missed it)

Posts #18 and #24 explain that it does offend blacks people and partly explains why.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
People who whine on here about "being offended on other people's behalf", or grizzling about the PC brigade irritate me, when the truth is they should be looking at their own boorish behaviour even if the incident prompting the discussion isn't that offensive. So I have to say, I'm all for NOT offending people's sensibilities.

With that in mind, I have a genuine question: in 2017 Britain, why does "blacking up" offend a black person? If I wanted to go in fancy dress as a black person, I'd have to do that wouldn't I? Or are we saying that unless one is black, they should choose a non-black person? Are there still "black and white minstrels" connotations? If so, this seems frightfully over-sensitive when you consider most people in their 40s or younger barely know what they are.

White people blacking up in this country has a long and noble tradition, which the political establishment sought to outlaw.

http://www.executedtoday.com/2012/12/04/1723-waltham-black-act-poaching/

Of course 300 years ago it was only them that were “offended” by the working class blacking up.

Plus ca change.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Posts #18 and #24 explain that it does offend blacks people and partly explains why.

#18 doesn't explain "why" whatsoever, it just offers an example of a black man who is offended. I'll agree that #24 does offer an explanation, but that's literally the only explanation on the thread, and in all honesty I'd question that explanation. Not least because in 2017 I really don't look at somebody who is blacked up and think "oh Christ, what a boorish moron". They might be of course, but until I've understood the intention, it's not my first impression.

That might not have been the case 30 years ago, but times change. In this instance, the 190 gag doesn't work unless you make it clear you are Diane Abbott. It's a bit of a sad state of affairs if the only solution to that is to wear a Diane Abbott mask.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's a bit of a sad state of affairs if the only solution to that is to wear a Diane Abbott mask.

Well, there is always the option not to bother with the joke.

Still, guess he was unlikely to bump into an actual person of colour at the darts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Genius.

Poor sod will be dragged through the courts though I expect as somebody will no doubt be offended on behalf of somebody else

It is amusing that any thread that might imply any offence / outrage, you are one of the first up. Almost an irony that you are unable not to have a reaction on behalf of those not wanting to react to things other people react to...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well, there is always the option not to bother with the joke.

Still, guess he was unlikely to bump into an actual person of colour at the darts.
Of course I wouldn't bother with the joke myself because as you can tell from my posts, I'm undecided as to whether it would offend the wrong people. To be glibly told "not to bother with the joke" doesn't actually resolve that question, it just kicks the issue into the long grass.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
#18 doesn't explain "why" whatsoever, it just offers an example of a black man who is offended.

Correct. It’s the “it does offend” bit of my reply.

I'll agree that #24 does offer an explanation, but that's literally the only explanation on the thread

Correct. But I only need one to demonstrate there is an explanation :smile:

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
And no Black and White Minstrel Xmas special this year on tv again I see.

Oh great - so what am I going to sit the kids in front of while I cook us all a patchy Xmas dinner? My Bernard Matthews isn't going to waste

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here