Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The 190 gag is pretty clever but to pull it off, he had to look like Dianne Abbott didn't he?

Is it the case that white folk can't do black fancy dress and vice versa?

I could be wrong here but white folk definitely can't do it but black folk can because there's no historic racist connotations with whiting up. It would probably still be a bad idea because of the amount of grief it would inevitably attract.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
The 190 gag is pretty clever but to pull it off, he had to look like Dianne Abbott didn't he?

Is it the case that white folk can't do black fancy dress and vice versa?

Just get a face mask from the internet like you can for any famous person...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I am surprised by some of the responses in this thread. This is clearly unacceptable. Blackface has a historical context of being used to mock black people and their cultures (and has many other racist connotations too). Here, we see blackface being used to mock Dianne Abbot. If you know just the tiniest bit about the history of blackface, surely that's racist and not just being PC?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Showed the offending photo at a gathering in Perth yesterday afternoon and everyone, despite most knowing who Abbott was, couldn’t work out what all the fuss was about.
Have we gone PC mad in the UK?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Genius

1. exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability. "she was a teacher of genius"
synonyms: brilliance, great intelligence, great intellect, great ability, cleverness, brains, erudition, wisdom, sagacity, fine mind, wit, artistry, flair, creative power, precocity, precociousness More
2. an exceptionally intelligent person or one with exceptional skill in a particular area of activity.
"a mathematical genius"

Which boxes does this idiot tick then?

Hey your right, Abbott ticks none. :xmas:

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I actually find the Dianne Abbot 190 picture really funny . I dont see a problem with they guy dressing up as her , it's fancy dress , how else is he meant to look like her ?
It's a joke and the context needs to be looked at here, rather than just assuming because a guy decided to dress up as a black woman he is automatically racist .

Re Griezmann, I dont even know who he is meant to be and is completely lost on me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I Re Griezmann, I dont even know who he is meant to be and is completely lost on me

I wonder how Griezmann will feel if I go to a party smelling of garlic, having not washed for week, wearing a beret, stripped shirt, onions around my neck, baguette under my arm and shrug my shoulders because there’s no snails in the buffet and the Germans have occupied the bar? Hopefully he’d get my point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Showed the offending photo at a gathering in Perth yesterday afternoon and everyone, despite most knowing who Abbott was, couldn’t work out what all the fuss was about.
Have we gone PC mad in the UK?

Were they all white and male?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I do like the 190 scorecard though. That's quite clever but not so much the rest.

The challenge being that the joke wouldn't work if he wasn't blacked up as nobody would know who he was trying to represent.

*** edit - beaten to it by our glorious leader ***

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The challenge being that the joke wouldn't work if he wasn't blacked up as nobody would know who he was trying to represent.

*** edit - beaten to it by our glorious leader ***

Possibly, but this doesn’t excuse it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I am surprised by some of the responses in this thread. This is clearly unacceptable. Blackface has a historical context of being used to mock black people and their cultures (and has many other racist connotations too). Here, we see blackface being used to mock Dianne Abbot. If you know just the tiniest bit about the history of blackface, surely that's racist and not just being PC?

But in this case Dianne Abbot is being ridiculed for her stupidity not her colour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Certainly not keeping abreast with modern sensibilities. I can't say I'm particularly bothered about people blacking up but I'm not black so doesn't really affect me. I've a mate however who is and I know it bothers him a lot. He's as far from a right-on liberal as you can get too so if it's enough to make him riled then I reckon it probably annoys a lot of people. Aside from anything else, the risk of getting abuse, a punch in the mush or simply barred from going into places should be enough to stop most people from doing it.

I do like the 190 scorecard though. That's quite clever but not so much the rest.
People who whine on here about "being offended on other people's behalf", or grizzling about the PC brigade irritate me, when the truth is they should be looking at their own boorish behaviour even if the incident prompting the discussion isn't that offensive. So I have to say, I'm all for NOT offending people's sensibilities.

With that in mind, I have a genuine question: in 2017 Britain, why does "blacking up" offend a black person? If I wanted to go in fancy dress as a black person, I'd have to do that wouldn't I? Or are we saying that unless one is black, they should choose a non-black person? Are there still "black and white minstrels" connotations? If so, this seems frightfully over-sensitive when you consider most people in their 40s or younger barely know what they are.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Possibly, but this doesn’t excuse it.

I disagree. In this case the darts bloke was trying to impersonate a specific black person - he wasn't taking the piss out of her colour. If a black person wanted to impersonate Theresa May then the only realistic way they could do it would be to white up - that wouldn't be racist. This is no more racist than say Les Dawson dressing up as an old woman is sexist or ageist. The basket ball one on the other hand could be deemed as unacceptable.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Certainly not keeping abreast with modern sensibilities. I can't say I'm particularly bothered about people blacking up but I'm not black so doesn't really affect me. I've a mate however who is and I know it bothers him a lot. He's as far from a right-on liberal as you can get too so if it's enough to make him riled then I reckon it probably annoys a lot of people. Aside from anything else, the risk of getting abuse, a punch in the mush or simply barred from going into places should be enough to stop most people from doing it.

Is the right answer....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here