Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Maybe if you took time out to research her achievements instead of going down the Daily Mail hatred line you may form a different opinion ???

Which of your Tory pantomime villains have you researched to see if your tiresome and continuous abuse towards them probably deserves a rethink ??

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that she attracts 45% of all abuse on Twitter aimed at MPs?

To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that in 2017 she receives stuff like this: “Pathetic useless fat black piece of shit Abbott. Just a piece of pig shit pond slime who should be ****ing hung (if they could find a tree big enough to take the fat bitch’s weight”)"?

To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that this is typical of what she receives on Twitter?...

View attachment 92107

^ To what extent does she gets more of this type of abuse than any other MP because she's black and because she's female?

By apologising the original incident, or dismissing it as merely banter, or just a joke, or harmless fun, in a small way you contribute to the culture that encourages abuse of women and minorities - and that is clearly something that should concern everyone who values freedom and equality. Democracy is strengthened when everyone in our community can represent us, and more importantly represent us without fear of abuse or hate. Pretty obvious isn't it?
Ask the people sending abuse, perhaps it brightens their sad existences?

I thought the outfit and 190 caption was exactly what it was, a piss take of a politician who made a huge fool of herself on national radio.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
I seem to remember sometime ago that DA once got called out by Andrew Neil for a racist comment she made about west Indian mothers being better than white ones.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Well he could have done, but chose boot polish instead.

:shrug:

It's the person, not the ethnicity that's being ridiculed.

Blacking up instantly makes it about ethnicity.

You blatantly don’t understand the baggage it carries.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Blacking up instantly makes it about ethnicity.
That's your opinion, not a fact. In this example, blacking up served only to be explicit about who the joke was about. I'm sure he would argue that his intention was no different from yours or mine if we put on a ginger wig to impersonate, say, Chris Evans.

You blatantly don’t understand the baggage it carries.
This of course is the crux of the issue, and really what I'd like to know more about. I'd really like to know whether that baggage really resonates anymore, and I suppose middle class white lads aren't the ones to make that call.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
She does not attract 45% of all abuse to MPs on Twitter.

Please accept my apologies - I misremembered and I should have checked, here's what I meant to say...

....according to a report by Amnesty International into Twitter abuse directed at 177 female MPs from January to June this year. Diane Abbott MP accounts for almost half of the 25,688 abusive tweets sent to women MPs in the period analysed.

SOURCE: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/barbara-ntumy/diane-abbott-abuse_b_18000104.html

It's a good article and relevant to man of the issues raised on this discussion thread....

The Online Abuse Of Diane Abbott Is A Damning Indictment Of Racism And Sexism In Our Democracy

Here's an excerpt....

The abuse analysed by Amnesty consists of racist violence, threats to kill, sexualised violence and the N-word. I was one of those who vocally and prominently defended Diane when a political campaign ratcheted up against her this summer. I was often accused of 'playing the race card'. This report shows what I as a black woman have always known. We are going to be subjected to racist and sexist abuse, whatever our standing is in society. And such is the level of discrimination that we face, that we will even face attacks when we try to call out the everyday sexism and everyday racism that are part and parcel of our identity in Britain. Diane Abbott is an icon for Black women, who challenged the structural barriers and hostility that comes with the double discrimination of racism and sexism in order to reach elected office. The online abuse she faced in the period the report analysed from the first half of this year is larger than the total combined abuse aimed at all women in the Conservative and SNP political parties combined.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I thought the outfit and 190 caption was exactly what it was, a piss take of a politician who made a huge fool of herself on national radio..
To an extent you are right Mackenzie but, as I've tried to explain, think a bit more deeply about it and you should soon realise why it has caused outrage and why it is completely unacceptable in 2017 if we are to have a full functioning and vibrant democracy.

Research "blackface", try to imagine being black and/or female in our society, research "everyday racism" and "everyday sexism" and think about how different your life would be if you had to put up with that every day, and then sit down with a cup of tea and have a think about it.

Closing down voices through ridicule, abuse, and outmoded stereotypes is bad for everyone who values free speech and democracy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm well aware of that report and said earlier that the narrow frame of reference doesn't paint the whole picture. Undoubtedly, the abuse she gets is horrible. It's symptomatic too of her being possibly the most divisive female MP around and of all MPs being abused daily.

That report into abuse during the election shows that Theresa May was the female MP that was most abused and both she and Boris Johnson each received 3 times as much abuse as Abbott.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
That report into abuse during the election shows that Theresa May was the female MP that was most abused and both she and Boris Johnson each received 3 times as much abuse as Abbott.
How does that tally with the statement "Diane Abbott MP accounts for almost half of the 25,688 abusive tweets sent to women MPs in the period analysed"?

I'm left wondering how May could get three times as much abuse as Abbott if Abbott is getting almost half of all the abusive tweets sent to women MPs

The article has this graphic, which is also completely at odds with your statement....

Abuse.jpg

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
How does that tally with the statement "Diane Abbott MP accounts for almost half of the 25,688 abusive tweets sent to women MPs in the period analysed"?

I'm left wondering how May could get three times as much abuse as Abbott if Abbott is getting almost half of all the abusive tweets sent to women MPs

The article has this graphic, which is also completely at odds with your statement....

View attachment 92112

It's Diane's graphic. :shrug: :xmas:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Agree. If her mind melt was due to diabetes, then she is a liability for appearing on TV without having managed her health. A taxi driver wouldn't go to work in hypoglycaemia, at risk of a crash. If she went to work in that state, at her age, with a lifetime of insight into her own health, I'd say she was a fool. But I happen to not belive this. I have a type 1 diabetic colleague who has been nothing but on the ball and professional every scond I have known him. Is he so much smarter than this MP? No. I think she is a liar, not a fool. Anyway, what's the difference? She is either a liar or a fool. Not fit for front bench politics :shrug:

spot.on

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Having some experience of the condition myself, the interview where she made a complete bollox of police numbers, it was classic hypoglycaemia, cos, you can't get your head round what you are trying to say, it's like the thinking bit of your brain has knocked off early and gone home , and left your tongue in charge of thinking.

sorry.lawro , wot hwt said , youte affording her too much leeway.there .

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

View attachment 92112
Because that report covered different times and didn't include the last general election . It was also possibly a time specifically picked when she was making one of her very many controversial statements about white people on an otherwise quiet news day. She's a race-baiter so it's no surprise when racists rise to the bait and a lot of them take advantage of internet anonymity to abuse her. I'm not saying it's right but what could explain it.

The report I linked to showed that at election time when all MPs are making statements and under public scrutiny equally, she is well down the list of MPs getting abused. And this is even with her car crash interviews about police budgets.

Last edited:

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Because that report covered different times and didn't include the last general election .
It did include the last general election.

The report looked at the period January to June 2017. The election took place on Thursday 8 June 2017.

I didn't see the report you linked to. The one I refer to was undertaken by Amnesty International and is referenced in this link.

I think it's odd that two reports that, based on your comments, appear to be looking at a similar period of time would come to such different conclusions - specifically the May v Abbott levels of abuse on Twitter.

Either way, I hope we can all agree that abuse of any elected representative that is based on gender or ethnicity is wrong. The media must not turn a blind eye to its responsibilities to challenge a climate that makes this abuse acceptable, and social media platforms must take seriously their responsibilities to report death threats and threats of violence to the police, and to systematically ban users who are bullying and intimidating women online.Which is, sort of, where we came in.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

View attachment 92112

you are Mr Abbott and I claim my £5

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here