Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm undecided on it so far, but I'm not persuaded by some of the shithouse arguments on this thread, on either side. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be glib, particularly when it is not clear cut one way or the other.

Maybe you need to increase the scope of your research? I'm not sure if a bunch of other (predominately) white blokes are going to lead you on a path of enlightenment here...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a dilemma as there is a tradition of actors blacking up for stage parts ie. Othello right up to the 1980s, so over 400 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/jun/10/othello-actors-rsc-lucian-msamati-hugh-quarshie

Then I see nothing wrong with Lewes Bonfire society parading as Zulus. It is a tribute to them.

I can see why black people would be offended at the mocking of Diane Abbot, in such a way, but as already said, it could have been solved by using a mask.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe you need to increase the scope of your research? I'm not sure if a bunch of other (predominately) white blokes are going to lead you on a path of enlightenment here...

True! Funnily enough, I just went to get a cup of tea and while away was thinking "what am I actually looking for here?" and I concluded that I was looking for first hand evidence from several black people. Clearly I'm on the wrong forum for that! :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your point about workers wanting to keep their job is well made, but you're still talking as if your point of view is fact when it isn't. You say "that 'blacking up' to mock a person of colour is inherently offensive". Well yes it is, but it's debatable that this is what has happened here.

Why are you so insistent that the bloke in the crowd has blacked-up to mock a person of colour? You seem convinced the blacking up is part of the mocking, when in fact I'm not sure he hasn't blacked-up in an attempt to leave no doubt as to who he is mocking.

I think we’re talking at crossed purposes. I have no idea whether this darts fan is mocking Diane Abott for her perceived inability as an MP, mocking her colour, or both. But this is irrelevant to my belief that his actions, for whatever reason and whether intentional or not, will be offensive to some black people. This is enough for me to think the guy is a bell end.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we’re talking at crossed purposes. I have no idea whether this darts fan is mocking Diane Abott for her perceived inability as an MP, mocking her colour, or both. But this is irrelevant to my belief that his actions, for whatever reason and whether intentional or not, will be offensive to some black people. This is enough for me to think the guy is a bell end.
He's not a bell end if he GENUINELY didn't realise he was offending the black community. On the other hand, he is exactly that if he did, and just thought "it's PC gone mad isn't it"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we were having this discussion over a pint of belgian white beer ( Christ it was strong!!!)

there was a lot of hand wringing and being outraged on someone's behalf when Mike Reid was filmed doing his Calypso ...rather unfortunately at a UKIP party, which may be a lot of it, but over the pint we were saying at what point does singing a song in the accent of the original singer become unacceptable. So, Calypso's have always been sung in a West Indian accent...I have done it a few times in a concerts and it is a very clever way of signing a song and not easy at all. One of our group , couldn't understand all the fuss ( and he is from St Kitts) and said " well everyone sings Bob Marley songs with a Jamaican accent don't they?"

We all then, in a drunken haze, tried to sing some marley songs in an English accent, or in one of our group and Dutch accent.

I thought the funniest thing with the Dianne Abbott thing was him holding up a card which said 190!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's not a bell end if he GENUINELY didn't realise he was offending the black community.

I’d suggest he’s a bell-end for exactly this reason.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
True! Funnily enough, I just went to get a cup of tea and while away was thinking "what am I actually looking for here?" and I concluded that I was looking for first hand evidence from several black people. Clearly I'm on the wrong forum for that! :lolol:

Didn't Dwayne used to be black?

theboybilly

I'm sorry but it's patently obvious that the target of this prank is Diane Abbott and not the black community.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Through being democratically elected?

and she's the idiot!?

So true. Just the same as those that vote for Boris. All with very questionable intelligence. She though takes the prize

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
deserves everything that is thrown at her until she gets out of politics.

Just to confirm, you believe that Diane Abbott deserves rape and death threats?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think the bigger question here is that during the last election there were many number of ministers and shadow ministers who made mistakes with numbers. Michael Fallon, Hammond, Gauke, Corbyn and Abbott to name a few. But the most publicity was given to the only one in that group who is black and who has been an outspoken crituc of the mail and the sun. What a pity that this individual at the darts didnt put on a beard and wonky tooth, or glasses and a drunken letchy manner or looked like a dickless morose accountant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here