Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Well, there is always the option not to bother with the joke.

Still, guess he was unlikely to bump into an actual person of colour at the darts.

On the contrary like most big sporting events private companies will be providing stewards, catering staff and cleaners etc.

One only has to look at who does those jobs at Falmer (just outside mono cultural Brighton) to realise that up at the Ally Pally in multi cultural London those staff would be predominantly “people of colour” to use your quaint reference.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Genuinely? As I say, if that is your first thought when you see this, then I think you're 30 years out of date. These days, your boorish moron would far rather try and be "controversial" by lampooning a Muslim, perhaps by wearing a burkha and a sign saying "Miss Muslim world 2017" or some such nonsense. Clearly this darts example was simply a bloke laughing at Diane Abbott and as has been suggested, the joke doesn't work without making an effort to look like her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
A wonderful fancy dress costume. Fair play.

As usual though, some lefty snowflakes finding offence in anything. Laugh at them, ignore them. I suppose they find the movie White Chicks offensive too? Or is it okay for a black person to dress up as a white person?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A wonderful fancy dress costume. Fair play.

As usual though, some lefty snowflakes finding offence in anything. Laugh at them, ignore them. I suppose they find the movie White Chicks offensive too? Or is it okay for a black person to dress up as a white person?

@Buzzer isn't a lefty snowflake, and he's given an example of a black friend who IS offended by blacking up. I think it's a genuinely interesting discussion and it's a shame if this sinks any further to "lefty snowflake", "PC gone mad" comments on one side and "well you could always not bother with the joke" on the other.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can someone tell how much longer we have to apologise for previous generations?

The joke should be seen on merit. It's not anyway racist, though the useless woman will undoubtedly attempt to make it so, but a joke about a person of easy ridicule. Not because of colour but because she's a idiot, whose stealing a wage from the taxman.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
On the contrary like most big sporting events private companies will be providing stewards, catering staff and cleaners etc.

One only has to look at who does those jobs at Falmer (just outside mono cultural Brighton) to realise that up at the Ally Pally in multi cultural London those staff would be predominantly “people of colour” to use your quaint reference.

Yeah, I’m not sure a worker would really have the time or inclination to explain the intricacies of why 'blacking up' to mock a person of colour is inherently offensive - and certainly not if they wanted to keep their job.

Perhaps the idiot could dress up again and ask around in pubs and bars in Abbott’s constituency in Hackney?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are lefties 'snowflakes' again?
Amazing turn around. During the EDL visits, they were 'violent thugs'. :lolol:

Do keep up :

Lefties = Snowflakes
Liberals = Limp wristed
Brexiters = Racists
Tories = c**ts

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Are you seriously trying to compare 18th century criminal gangs disguise with some dickhead at the darts?

That you think they were criminal gangs says a lot about your ignorance on this matter.

White British people “blacking up” to disguise themselves is a practice centuries old. No doubt some of this was for nefarious purposes but the Black Act was a measure deliberately intended to further oppress the poor and restrict their freedom, to hunt in particular. This was a land grab by the aristocracy and establishment shills.

It’s a shame that people don’t understand their social history in this way because it would avoid problems caused by the hyperbole of someone dressing up at a darts contest, and others seeking to celebrate this country’s rich social history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-38559669

That’s why I can compare both stories.......you are part of the problem.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, I’m not sure a worker would really have the time or inclination to explain the intricacies of why 'blacking up' to mock a person of colour is inherently offensive - and certainly not if they wanted to keep their job.
Your point about workers wanting to keep their job is well made, but you're still talking as if your point of view is fact when it isn't. You say "that 'blacking up' to mock a person of colour is inherently offensive". Well yes it is, but it's debatable that this is what has happened here.

Why are you so insistent that the bloke in the crowd has blacked-up to mock a person of colour? You seem convinced the blacking up is part of the mocking, when in fact I'm not sure he hasn't blacked-up in an attempt to leave no doubt as to who he is mocking.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it's a genuinely interesting discussion and it's a shame if this sinks any further to "lefty snowflake", "PC gone mad" comments on one side and "well you could always not bother with the joke" on the other.

Indeed. We discussed it last night and agreed it feels wrong, I'd never do it and I completely get that it's highly sensitive.

The Dianne Abbott joke is not playing on any racial stereotypes, negative or otherwise. It's very clearly directed at the ongoing shambles that Dianne Abbott is (Exhibit #78462: in the past couple of days she tweeted: "We know fire puts out water") and the 180/190 twist on that is genuinely clever.

However, the joke would have worked just as well with a paper Abbott mask, and would have steered clear of the controversy that has since followed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Its getting confusing. As far as some of the more 'right wing' posters on here are concerned, theres loads of 'lefties' in the Tory party now haha

Let's not forget all the "red Tories" such as the Right Honourable Member for Hove, who those on the left seem to really despise. I think he was going to be booted out until he won his seat back and became a good guy again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well do let us know when you've reached a conclusion!

I'm undecided on it so far, but I'm not persuaded by some of the shithouse arguments on this thread, on either side. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be glib, particularly when it is not clear cut one way or the other.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
That you think they were criminal gangs says a lot about your ignorance on this matter.

White British people “blacking up” to disguise themselves is a practice centuries old. No doubt some of this was for nefarious purposes but the Black Act was a measure deliberately intended to further oppress the poor and restrict their freedom, to hunt in particular. This was a land grab by the aristocracy and establishment shills.

It’s a shame that people don’t understand their social history in this way because it would avoid problems caused by the hyperbole of someone dressing up at a darts contest, and others seeking to celebrate this country’s rich social history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-38559669

That’s why I can compare both stories.......you are part of the problem.

No it says a lot about your crass attempt to shoehorn two different thing together. The practise of disguising your face is different from the practise of blacking up to imitate someone. I understand how the two differ and don't want to make capital from conflating two separate issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here