Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Post Film Discussion Star Wars TLJ WARNING don’t view will contain spoilers

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Another who can't comprehend. This is about shitty storyline writing, not what gender the character is.

Rey the character is shit lazy writing. Just one of multiple examples of shit writing in this movie.

If its all about "misogyny" with Rey's character with the fans then why the **** was Ahsoka Tano so popular then? I'm really looking forward to your explanation on this one. The same fans who don't like the character of Rey loved Ashoka.

You are taking this far too seriously. The very first Star Wars, the New Hope, had so many plot holes that it makes this latest Star Wars film look like a John Le Carre novel. The last trilogy of Star Wars films had Jar Jar Binks, an American diner and the worst acting seen for many decade - and all directed by the bloke who actually created Star Wars.

One of your biggest gripes is about how long it takes to train someone to be able to move rocks around just by thinking about it. Apparently, being able to do it without being trained for years by an 800 year old green gremlin is, in your opinion, too ridiculous a storyline.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good, but not great would be my verdict. Great opening, the dreadnaught battle was superb. But I'm not quite sure WHY so much was invested in seeking out Luke on that island. Once Rey got there, he did the square route of f-all to help train her in the ways of the Jedi, seemingly more interested in sucking blue milk from an alien cows tits. Whats the point of that ? Luke turned up at the end to provide a bit of a diversion and buy some time for the remaining rebels, but didn't actually bother engaging in a battle and simply submitted to Ren so he could come back later and haunt him, or something.

Luke pretty much went all Hughton on us: "Well we always knew it would be very, very difficult turning up at an abandoned rebel outpost on Crait and getting a result. After surviving an initial assault from the Imperial Walkers we were still very much in the game to be fair, but all credit to Kyro Ren, he always had that bit of extra quality, and thats what told in the end. Of course its always disappointing getting cut in half and then ultimately skewered without putting up so much as a hint of resistance, but I feel we gave a good account of ourselves overall, and we've learned a lot from the experience".

Very very harsh, sounds like you absolutely despised it

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Watched it for a second time, this time in 3D, I just ignored all the complaints and watched it to enjoy the movie. You know what? I thought it was bloody good. A lot of things I missed 1st time around, it is such an action and scene packed movie that you are bound to miss some things. So on 2nd viewing I enjoyed it more. Gonna up my rating from 7.5 out of 10 to 8.5. And my ratings are (almost) never beyond 9.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Saw this last night. Took me a little bit to get into but all in all a pretty decent entry in the series.i was worried before hand because I'd heard there's been a bit of a backlash. But reading this thread and others around the net I can see it's mostly just the nerd rage of the alt right man children.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The difference is Rey does it with no training whatsoever. Luke only uses the force after some, and I use the term loosely, training with Obi Wan Kenobi. Even though it’s minimal, Obi-Wan still teaches him about the force and how it can be used meaning the only bit of the force Luke even touches during a New Hope is to give the torpedoes a nudge. Rey uses a Jedi mind trick, pulls a lightsaber towards her (something Luke didn’t manage until Empire which is set 3 years after a New Hope) and uses the force to beat a well trained Kylo Ren without a scratch. HUGE difference between the two.

The little kid at the end with his mop did that with no training. Some people can just do stuff :shrug:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You are taking this far too seriously. The very first Star Wars, the New Hope, had so many plot holes that it makes this latest Star Wars film look like a John Le Carre novel. The last trilogy of Star Wars films had Jar Jar Binks, an American diner and the worst acting seen for many decade - and all directed by the bloke who actually created Star Wars.

One of your biggest gripes is about how long it takes to train someone to be able to move rocks around just by thinking about it. Apparently, being able to do it without being trained for years by an 800 year old green gremlin is, in your opinion, too ridiculous a storyline.

And everyone shit canned a few of the previous movies, so why can't these movies be shit canned for rubbish writing as well?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Most people can do bits of different stuff. One character can just do it all better than everyone else without hardly breaking a sweat.

It really doesn't matter to me. I was able to spend £10, sit on my arse in the dark and be entertained for a little over two hours. That's what I wanted from TLJ and that's what I got.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very very harsh, sounds like you absolutely despised it

Nope, not at all. Not everything has to be "the best thing ever" or "the worst thing I've ever seen" - there CAN still be some middle ground, and this is where TLJ lands. I'd give it a solid if unspectacular 71%. Good, but not great.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
An odd one this, film critics all love this movie whilst fans mostly despise it. An audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatos of just 53% compared to the critics score of 91% is a huge difference, even the dreaded prequels scored higher audience scores! The direction of the storyline for most of the characters took unexpected turns, perhaps many fan theories being the complete opposite in fruition contributed towards this. There's a petition picking up pace calling for this film segment to be removed from the canon! Personally I'm not so vexed, there where a few problems but I'm happy to see how everything plays out. The introduction of Jedi powers as a spirit annoyed me the most, as did the 'create a duplicate of yourself which everyone can see' moment. It was also incredibly practicable when he touched Leia. Those abilities would have been very useful before the events of this film! Luke had to die though, the Star Wars franchise (which will be continuing after this trilogy) can't keep returning to Luke and the same formula for a film.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
saw it last night...bloody excellent.

One of those types of films you don't have to think about. Although My Mrs was convinced that as she had died, the character played by Carrie Fisher was actually a doppelganger !

I assume the next one will be sometime next Christmas?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
My 2 cents worth on this film.

I wasn't blown away by it and i didn't think it was a bad film but it definitely felt like a bridging episode just as ESB was in the original trilogy.

There were a lot of similar scenes and reworkings from previous Star Wars films, everything from the slave boy who has Jedi powers (Anakin Skywalker then, boy with broom now) the need for some sort of race (pod racing then, horse type creatures now) Hero needing help from foe in battle against leader of the Dark side (Vader turning on the Emperor then, Kylo Ren turning on Supreme Leader Snoke now) etc, etc, etc....

Then there is the lack of development from TFA in terms of the number of unanswered questions that were raised and the potential for decent story-lines it had potentially set up for the later films (Reys search for her parents = only a brief line that they were nobodies (however this may still get revisited in the next installment)) Search for Luke as if something was about to happen ==> uninterested old Jedi who does very little then inexplicably dies (also see Yoda in original trilogy) this time dying as a result of projecting himself into another part of the universe to buy time for an escape, etc...

TFA felt like it was building towards something in the later films and now this one makes it feel like those story-lines have all been dropped and, as others have said, it's just seeing off the old characters and moving onto the new ones. It feels a little bit like the writer for this hadn't seen the film or read the script to TFA and instead was just given the characters and their starting points and told to write TLJ from there

And that's ignoring the improbable that's included, like seemingly everyone can survive in the vacuum of space with no protection from it (from the ordinary = Rose's sister when on the bomb run all the way to Princesss Leia)

It was watchable, but not something i will rush to see again.

It's all just a bit of a message-y type of film, good vs evil (as expected) Good always wins in the end and even those who are evil can become good (seem it all before and seems a bit too Disney) as well as it getting a bit too caught up in this balance between good and evil thing. I felt it could have all been done far better and they've missed a trick with this imo which could be the reason for the mixed reaction to it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s well established in the universe that training to become a Jedi takes years, which is why they start so young. Rey seems to be able to use the force in ways only seen previously through years of training. She’s a Mary Sue, as they say,

Luke had a few hours with Obi Wan, then a short period with Yoda. That was it.

Anakin had no training and was able to use the force to win a pod race no other human was capable of.

Luke alludes to Ben Solo's initial ability as nothing he'd seen before, or not power like it as with Rey.

We have only ever seen how 3 characters develop with the force as I previously said. We have no idea how the other Jedi developed or used the force pre-training.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Apparently Wayne Rooney had little or no training to be a professional footballer. He was just naturally gifted. It happens. It even happens to Women. Get over it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
saw it last night...bloody excellent.

One of those types of films you don't have to think about. Although My Mrs was convinced that as she had died, the character played by Carrie Fisher was actually a doppelganger !

I assume the next one will be sometime next Christmas?

Next Xmas I think will be the young Han Solo film, final installment of this trilogy Xmas 2019

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nope, not at all. Not everything has to be "the best thing ever" or "the worst thing I've ever seen" - there CAN still be some middle ground, and this is where TLJ lands. I'd give it a solid if unspectacular 71%. Good, but not great.

There was no middle ground though, the whole post just took this piss out of it. I thought the battle on the salt planet was epic. I really don't know what people expect from a film nowadays

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Next Xmas I think will be the young Han Solo film, final installment of this trilogy Xmas 2019

11011c39082ca60eb9339e5e083cb9c3.jpg

You won’t have to wait for next Christmas, 25 May Uk released![emoji6]

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Luke had a few hours with Obi Wan, then a short period with Yoda. That was it.

Anakin had no training and was able to use the force to win a pod race no other human was capable of.

Luke alludes to Ben Solo's initial ability as nothing he'd seen before, or not power like it as with Rey.

We have only ever seen how 3 characters develop with the force as I previously said. We have no idea how the other Jedi developed or used the force pre-training.

Luke trained for THREE YEARS between a New Hope and Empire. That’s establish as canon through the EU. As for the time he spent training with Yoda, it is unclear. It is at least fair to assume it’s a few days to a week. As for ‘the force’ that Anakin used to win the pod race was reflexes and instinct. All incomparable to be able to use mind tricks and summon a lightsaber...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Luke trained for THREE YEARS between a New Hope and Empire. That’s establish as canon through the EU. As for the time he spent training with Yoda, it is unclear. It is at least fair to assume it’s a few days to a week. As for ‘the force’ that Anakin used to win the pod race was reflexes and instinct. All incomparable to be able to use mind tricks and summon a lightsaber...

BUT, we don't know how any other force persons, jedi or otherwise developed? We don't know who had force abilities pre-training, who didn't. That leaves the story writing open. Same with Luke projecting himself. After death appearances weren't about pre Obi Wan as far as we know, Qui Gon could communicate from beyond which is how he supposedly taught Obi Wan, and perhaps Yoda. Luke then takes this a step further, perhaps through deep meditation in his solitude on the island. It still fits the narrative. They didn't have to just 'stick' with what was established in the original trilogy. It is annoying the fanboys, but most people appear to be enjoying the films.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here