Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why spend the money

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not really...think your question should really have been ‘why didn’t we sign more midfield cover in the summer’........we’re playing Davy out of position because we haven’t really got a choice.

Perhaps the question was worded incorrectly and the answer out of necessity is an easy get out without discussion.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That was in July./early August so we had time to sign an out of contract player as a stop gap or even spend more money on a replacement. I have no objection to buying him but play him in the position that he impressed in to make him a possible signing. The same goes with JI we do not play to his strengths having spent £13+m on him for what he was doing for Brugge where he scored 34 goals in 84 games.

You do realise that both Jose and Pröpper came from teams winning and challenging for league titles, it stands to reason they’d score more goals as they would be in teams with comparatively better players for the league they were in, playing alongside them. Also the overall standard of the league would have been lower than the PL. Now they are playing for a side that is going to be towards the bottom of the division so they are being asked to do different roles at certain times. Maybe when we improve the players along side Jose and Pröpper we will see them playing their natural positions whatever they may be.

It is also worth considering that although Jose is our record signing it doesn’t automatically make him our best player, what would it have cost to get Knocky or Dunk off of us before the season started, I’d wager we’d have been asking for a lot more than our Colombian winger cost us.

Additionally what is the point of signing another player for cover when we are limited to a 25 man squad meaning Kayal wouldn’t have been available until the transfer window opened, the seriousness of Sidwells injury didn’t become apparent until after the window closed. Hughton was quoted in interviews saying they considered brining in another player when Kayal got injured but thought that they had numbers with Sidwell being an option.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Why did we spend the best part of £10m on Propper an then not play him in the position that he was playing in when we bought him and much the same with Izquierdo who we do not play to his strengths.

Surely Propper is playing in the position in which he was playing when we bought him? Unless I'm mistaken, it's the Netherlands where plays out of position.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely Propper is playing in the position in which he was playing when we bought him? Unless I'm mistaken, it's the Netherlands where plays out of position.

I assumed, possibly wrongly, that he played further forward, hence his goals per game tally and his call up for Netherlands, as I cannot see him evere matching those figures for us although IMHO he is getting better each game as he becomes accustomed to demands of the Premier League

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would like Izquierdo to be playing and starting alot more regularly, he's the only player we have with genuine pace who can scare people, perhaps at no.10?

Or we could sacrifice his requirement to defend and play to his strengths which are the ability to run at players at pace and his ability to beat players whilst running at pace? We’d sacrifice a bit in defence but give us way more options on the break (assuming he’d have to do it all on his own as neither Hemed or Murray are quick enough to keep up with him). Maybe try playing Brown at CF?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I perhaps wouldnt have bought him to play there and bought a more defensive minded midfielder or played him further forward as he did for PSV where he scored 16 goals in 67 games or Netherlands 3 goals in 8 games. As it stands I would look at Kayal and then push Propper forward to compete with Gross. as CH seems reluctant to include SB in his plans or team selection.

There's a very good reason for this which is none of our business. SB will be back when its the right time for all concerned. I'm not going to elaborate further as it's already been discussed too much on here already.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There's a very good reason for this which is none of our business. SB will be back when its the right time for all concerned. I'm not going to elaborate further as it's already been discussed too much on here already.

I hope that you have greater knowledge than most of us and are correct. I expect him to be on the bench Boxing Day as Brown is unavailable but why if he is not likely to get brought on

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
BG....he does indeed play further forward for Netherlands ...but i think you will find that is not quite the role he had for PSV..however as can be seen from the article below he is used to playing MORE OFFENSIVELY (hence his goals) .. than he does for us ....but as has been said up until recently the only player that was able to take on the same role as he currently played was out injured ...Kayal has only played one match and that was against Tottenham

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...ole-very-different-to-my-psv-position-4206202

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here