Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Toothless

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All 3 subs weakened us, rather than helped us.

Were you at the same game numb nuts!!??

Unlike Wednesday night, at least we had a proper go today. I have no complaints at the performance whatsoever. From 1 to 11 they worked their bollocks off, chasing and harrying high up the pitch, closing down, and on most afternoons we'd have gone in at least 2 goals up at the break. Didn't happen, but they showed heart and appetite for the fight. I'll forgive anything when they do that, even if Burnley had ended up sneaking it (which they very nearly did).

OP has simply looked at the zero in the GF column and declared it "toothless", without the slightest acknowledgement of the shift the team put in today. Seriously, were you even there @crookie ? I'd wager you could look at the Burnley messageboard tonight and see plenty of posts along the lines of "we got away with it today".

Give your head a wobble.

We had four good to great chances today but our finishing was awful. We bossed the first half but ran out of steam in the second half and our lack of strength in depth really showed, Hemed gave them far fewer problems than Murray, Brown was WOEFUL (again) and Izquierdo wasn't on for long enough. For me Hughton got all three subs wrong and while our work rate and chance creation, in the first half at least, was excellent, our dreadful finishing does indeed render us toothless. Another failure to score is the bottom line

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unlike Wednesday night, at least we had a proper go today. I have no complaints at the performance whatsoever. From 1 to 11 they worked their bollocks off, chasing and harrying high up the pitch, closing down, and on most afternoons we'd have gone in at least 2 goals up at the break. Didn't happen, but they showed heart and appetite for the fight. I'll forgive anything when they do that, even if Burnley had ended up sneaking it (which they very nearly did).

OP has simply looked at the zero in the GF column and declared it "toothless", without the slightest acknowledgement of the shift the team put in today. Seriously, were you even there @crookie ? I'd wager you could look at the Burnley messageboard tonight and see plenty of posts along the lines of "we got away with it today".

Give your head a wobble.

Spot on.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We never looked liked scoring today and that really worries me. 3 subs made but absolutely toothless

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oh bollocks. One super save from their goalie and a header off the line.

But sure, we never looked like scoring. You tit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We had four good to great chances today but our finishing was awful. We bossed the first half but ran out of steam in the second half and our lack of strength in depth really showed, Hemed gave them far fewer problems than Murray, Brown was WOEFUL (again) and Izquierdo wasn't on for long enough. For me Hughton got all three subs wrong and while our work rate and chance creation, in the first half at least, was excellent, our dreadful finishing does indeed render us toothless. Another failure to score is the bottom line

The unbiased BBC's review of the match, accords with yours.

"The lack of a cutting edge is a major concern".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I think you're being very harsh. I'm no fan of a "hard luck" story, but the margins today were so, so thin. The sheer intensity of that first half performance was always going to be difficult to maintain, so yes, we ran out of steam, but I can't fault us for that. Burnley have been outstanding on the road this season, and we're feeling hard done by at a 0-0. Knocky clipping a post was hardly a gimmee with that chance, we had one off the line, and an inexplicable (and UNUSUAL) penalty aboration from Murray on the spot. Any one of those are gamechangers. Some other promising situations went begging, but that's by far the best we've played for about a month since the robbery at Old Trafford.

We'll buy a break at some point.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Yes, yes we did. Might have escaped your attention but we were awarded a penalty...

Plus I seem to recall a couple of really decent saves by Pope in the Burnley goal.

shouldn't have been in goal if the ref had the balls to send him off in the first minute for hand ball !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We'll buy a break at some point.

Probably when we buy a striker.

Murray's all round game was fantastic today with the exception of the thing he's paid to do. He could still be running round now on his own and not score.

Me and @scoffers were watching the pre match warm up shooting practice. He missed all but one in that too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Murray's all round game was fantastic today with the exception of the thing he's paid to do. He could still be running round now on his own and not score.

Me and @scoffers were watching the pre match warm up shooting practice. He missed all but one in that too.
You weren't the only one to notice the rather toothless warm up shooting.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?359428-Is-it-bad-luck-to-score-in-the-warm-up!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This is sadly true. Also missed a sitter against Liverpool, two great chances against West Ham, the one at Swansea bounced in off his thigh........etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Six players in he frame for this attacking move...and yet only one of those players has scored in the opposition net this season
IMG_0169.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Give your head a wobble.

:thumbsup:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Perhaps a bit OTT post on reflection after a few beers, and yes I was there !! What essentially I was getting at was that we got in good positions plenty of times, but found it very hard to actually create and finish clear cut chances. Exacerbated by the fact I was next to the 10 or so Burnley adolescents giving shite verbals, especially when Murray missed the penalty. So frustrating were all the free kicks and corners that went straight into Pope's gloves. General performance was decent, massive step up from Liverpool and Spurs matches, but I am concerned about our lack of creativity and finishing.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

True that @Guinness Boy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here