Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are getting relegated ......... according to the bookies

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Stoke fans on 606 tonight were slitting their wrists, it was most encouraging to hear.

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
Our defence is ****ing solid, warriors, the lot of ‘em. Give Knocky a striker to feed off and we’ll be fine. We’ve got the poorest striking options in the league, address that and we’ll be fine.

We have been saying this ever since moving into the Amex 7 years ago. Got away with it in the Championship. The club clearly have no striking scouts, unless they can find someone that won’t cost us more than peanuts. A 6 week headstart on Huddersfield & we got zilch. So what odds someone joins us first week of January then?
More than likely to get useless Izzy Brown on a permanent deal than a £10m centre forward.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Oh no we're not! But I am worried as our decent chances of getting a goal go to waste and we are left with a draw or lose the game. I think its a question of confidence - we were on a high at the beginning of the season but have lost that initial mojo. We need that someone to make a difference, whether it's Baldock back on the pitch, or another striker.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
The model is Burnley: Go up, don’t go stupid with transfers/wages, have a go, get relegated with valuable experience on what to do next time, win promo, get established.
I’d rather follow Bournemouth. Go up and stay up!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The manager is at fault here, not the chairman. It’s the manager that sets the team up to play boring football. 2 shots on target again today at home to Burnley. Pathetic. It’s the manager that signs or at least seeks players. Hughton’s centre forward record is Pathetic. The manager was found out at Norwich, Newcastle & us at this level. I don’t want him sacked, I want him to do well - but this season is a slow death. 4 wins to date all against teams in the bottom 6. Lose at home to Watford (more likely) than a win against them - the boo boys will be out

Answer me this what happened to those two clubs who were above the relegation spots when Chris left?

Suggest you listen to Allardyce post match interview from a couple of weeks ago when he said you set up to do what you can with what you have at your disposal. That is exactly what Chris is doing and comments that he failed to get a striker in are laughable that’s not his department

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The manager is at fault here, not the chairman. It’s the manager that sets the team up to play boring football. 2 shots on target again today at home to Burnley. Pathetic. It’s the manager that signs or at least seeks players. Hughton’s centre forward record is Pathetic. The manager was found out at Norwich, Newcastle & us at this level. I don’t want him sacked, I want him to do well - but this season is a slow death. 4 wins to date all against teams in the bottom 6. Lose at home to Watford (more likely) than a win against them - the boo boys will be out

Why ? Are you going ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the end of the day it is getting to the point of when we will be in the bottom three not if. I am by nature an eternal optimist but sadly am moving as i believe that we have a manager who is tactically out of his depth compared to most in the division and thus continually out thought,, A strike force that is 2nd rate for this division and a recruitment team that seem to spend money because they think they should rather than to improve the side. We have 3 Championship standard wingers two of whom at the time cost out record transfer fees and none are up to the standard required for this league but will probably be ok when we get relegated.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Capture.PNG :xmas:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
It's all very well saying you don't care if we get relegated - you should care. In the Championship this club loses millions of pounds every year (and not just a few millions either), and that is simply not sustainable in the long term. We can't just expect Uncle Tony to go on forking out £20M or £30M every season - and cutting our budget to League 1 or 2 levels wouldn't financially support the Amex stadium and Lancing.
Relegation, with parachute payments and bouncing back quickly is all very well, but it is a much higher risk than staying in the PL.

You say we should care well we do but at the end of the day it’s down to ‘uncle Tony’ as u call him to pay up for that elusive striker we’ve been craving for the last year . We can scream shout sing whatever but it’s down to him . Early jan Will decide weather we stay in premier league or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It's all very well saying you don't care if we get relegated - you should care. In the Championship this club loses millions of pounds every year (and not just a few millions either), and that is simply not sustainable in the long term. We can't just expect Uncle Tony to go on forking out £20M or £30M every season - and cutting our budget to League 1 or 2 levels wouldn't financially support the Amex stadium and Lancing.
Relegation, with parachute payments and bouncing back quickly is all very well, but it is a much higher risk than staying in the PL.

Yes, this is the reality. I enjoyed the Championship, along with many others, but the hard fact is that Tony Bloom probably funded the losses, as the PL was in sight over many years, but can we expect him to do it again for what could be quite a long time? Selling a few players if we go down, and the parachute payments, don't guarantee promotion, as many ex PL teams in the Championship have found out to their cost - literally. I read recently how Norwich are in a panic, as it is their last year of the payments and how could they ever make the PL again on a much-reduced budget.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The odds are about right. Hate to say it but Swansea, ourselves and Stoke are looking the most likely. I hope we survive, but knowing us we won't get a striker in until 31st Jan and then it will probably be too late.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Answer me this what happened to those two clubs who were above the relegation spots when Chris left?
Toon did record a top 5 finish under Pardew the following season tbf, but I'm with you generally. Also a complete myth that Hughton was "found out" at Newcastle - he was pretty harshly sacked, having taken them up and getting them to a stable 12th place in December. (incidentally the exact same position they finished that season). Not as if they weren't scoring either - they'd scored 24 goals in 16 games, including 6-0 and 5-1 wins.

Find it bizarre that people would hold that against him as some sort of proof that he isn't up to management at this level, and as though Mike Ashley's never made a harsh sacking.

For what it's worth I think he's done about as well we could have possibly expected with the squad we have. All about finding better options in attack (preferably a new recruit + return of Baldock in the new year) as the defence can only grind out so many points for us.

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Southampton at 16/1 look massively overpriced for the drop. Granted they probably have enough to stay up but have hardly pulled any trees up this season, and they're only 3 points off the drop zone.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Yet if Murray had converted his penalty we'd be on 20 points, with a decent chance of being on 23 points at the half-way mark and still without a goal in open play in the last 6 games...
Totally this. Burnley performance was a source of hope. If we play like that against Watford, Newcastle and Bournemouth then we should be in a good position come January. Then it's down to Tony whether he sticks or twists.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If we look likely to go down, it will be difficult to attract a decent striker.
From the time we failed in our main mission in the summer, it has been clear that ' Hughton, We Have A Problem.'

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here