PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 16th December 2017
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Chris Kavanagh
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Mick McDonough
Fourth official: Andre Marriner

TEAM NEWS

Brighton pair Glenn Murray and Pascal Gross are likely to be recalled, having both been substitutes for the midweek defeat by Tottenham.

The Seagulls have no fresh injury worries, with Steve Sidwell the only known absentee.

Ben Mee and Matt Lowton return for Burnley following knee injuries, but ex-Brighton left-back Stephen Ward is a doubt with a similar issue.

Robbie Brady, Jonathan Walters, Dean Marney and Tom Heaton all remain out.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Steve Wilson: "There is so much that is remarkable about Burnley's season it's hard to know where to start.

"Perhaps the most impressive thing about them is that they are playing with such small margins week after week; only two of the 17 league games they have played this season have been decided by more than a single goal.

"Eight of their nine wins, and three of their four defeats, have been by the smallest possible margin. If there is a mental strain to that, it's not showing.

"Brighton have hit the kind of lean patch which Chris Hughton would always have known was possible. Just two points from their last six games, and one goal in five (a penalty), have left them only three points above the relegation zone."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton: "In the same way we speak about Manchester City, for different reasons they (Burnley) have been exceptional.

"Sean (Dyche) has developed so well over the last few seasons. It was credit to Burnley that when they went down they allowed him the opportunity to rebuild again and have since gone from strength to strength.

"In an era when we want to see as many British managers in the game it's great to see one doing as well as Sean is."

Burnley manager Sean Dyche: "There's a healthy respect for the opposition but that goes out of the window when the whistle goes and there's clear-mindedness for how we perform to get what we want.

"Those things are in place but I don't think we've got to the level where we're swaggering into places. That's for people who've been in the division's top end for a lot longer than us."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]This is the first top-flight meeting between the two sides, with all previous 26 meetings taking place in the second and third tiers.
    [*=left]Brighton are unbeaten in six league matches against Burnley, although the last three have been drawn.
    [*=left]Burnley's last victory over the Seagulls was 1-0 in April 2012.

Brighton

• [*=left]Chris Hughton's side have taken just two points from the last six games.
    [*=left]Brighton are in danger of losing four successive league games for the first time since December 2011.
    [*=left]The Seagulls conceded just 13 goals in their opening 14 games of the season but have subsequently let in nine goals in their last three matches.
    [*=left]Brighton's last victory was 1-0 at Swansea on 4 November.
    [*=left]They have only had 142 attempts on goal this season, the lowest figure in the Premier League.
    [*=left]Lewis Dunk has scored three Premier League own goals this season, one shy of Martin Skrtel's record of four in a campaign, set in 2013-14.
    [*=left]Hughton is unbeaten in all four league games as a manager against Sean Dyche, winning three of them.

Burnley

• [*=left]Burnley have won six of their last eight league matches, as many as they had won in their previous 26 fixtures.
    [*=left]Sean Dyche's side have conceded 12 league goals, a record only bettered by the two Manchester clubs.
    [*=left]All but one of the 86 previous teams to have earned at least 31 points from their first 17 games of a Premier League season have ended that season in the top 10; 81 went on to finish in the top six.
    [*=left]Burnley have made just 13 changes to their starting XI in 17 games this season, which is eight fewer than any other side.
    [*=left]Nick Pope has kept seven clean sheets in 13 league appearances since replacing the injured Tom Heaton.
    [*=left]Chris Wood has scored five goals in his last five league starts against ex-club Brighton - including twice for Leeds in March.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Despite Burnley's great season, isn't this a match that falls in to the 'must not lose' category, at the very least from a confidence perspective?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last night I dreamt we came back from 2-3 to win 4-3 with a Gross worldie from the far corner in front of the South stand (Burnley made us kick the wrong way after winning the toss).

Otherwise it is hardly playing on my mind at all.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Can't see many goals in this one. No sure which way it will go. Hope we try and play offensively

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not feeling confident today (a bit like the team, I fear) but ever hopeful; maybe today is the day we turn things round. Come on The Albion!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My pre match brief from the club states that "Southern Rail ..... are running a full midweek service" and "Park & Rides ..... will be open from 5.45pm".
Do you think we should tell them?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Ffs
Signalling problems between Haywards Heath and Three Bridges[emoji849][emoji849]

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This will be a tight game in my view either a 0-0 or 1-0 but not sure which way

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This will be a tight game in my view either a 0-0 or 1-0 but not sure which way

Agree with this.
But it's a game I feel we can and need to win.
Albion need to start showing they can play football and are not afraid to be adventurous when the need arises, and of course the odd goal or four!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We need to attack from the first minute, play Murray , Hemed, Brown up front, Knockaert, Gross, Izquierdo, March and Propper in midfield

If only, it will be a defensive set ups at the off

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We need to attack from the first minute, play Murray , Hemed, Brown up front, Knockaert, Gross, Izquierdo, March and Propper in midfield

How many times have Murray and Hemed showed that they do not play well together either or but not together. I wouldnt allow Brown in the stadium even to watch but I would like to see Murray start and then if not going well him and Gross replaced by Hemed and Baldock with enough time left to change the game.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
We now have had the fewest shots on target in the PL - this simply must change! We have also had no luck recently so we are due some!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Can't see many goals in this one. No sure which way it will go. Hope we try and play offensively

I think Burnley have only scored a couple more than us this season and their success has been built on strong defence and good organisation - pretty much how we’ve set out to play.
I wonder though if, with their confidence so high they might play a more expansive game and leave some gaps albeit something they haven’t done so far.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here