Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What’s your favourite ever Brighton defeat

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Everton 4 Brighton 3 December 1980

Only about 32 of us on the terrace given the violence from the trip the season before. A thrilling game with some great goals and a typical Albion performance of promising much and just falling short.

Without derailing the thread, i know there was a load of trouble between us and Everton as years later in the 90's when i lived up there, loads of my Evertonian mates disliked or even feared our fans. But what went on?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Everton 4 Brighton 3 December 1980

Only about 32 of us on the terrace given the violence from the trip the season before. A thrilling game with some great goals and a typical Albion performance of promising much and just falling short.

That was a great game. I was in the Everton end, celebrating like a looney whenever we scored. I got some dirty looks from assorted scousers but, as I was with a massive bunch of Everton supporters, I escaped unscathed.

The other one I remember was a 2-1 defeat at West Ham. Micky Small scored for us but the Hammers won it at the end with an excellent goal. We lost but it was a cracking game.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
That was a great game. I was in the Everton end, celebrating like a looney whenever we scored. I got some dirty looks from assorted scousers but, as I was with a massive bunch of Everton supporters, I escaped unscathed.

The other one I remember was a 2-1 defeat at West Ham. Micky Small scored for us but the Hammers won it at the end with an excellent goal. We lost but it was a cracking game.

I think we did that 2 years running at West Ham, took the lead , played well and lost 2-1!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Aston Villa away first away game in the top flight , lost 2-1 on a Wednesday night , but we put in a really good performance and deserved at least a point against a very good Villa side , so much better than the previous game where we lost the opener to Arsenal

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Palace away when they had four penalties and we had one. And they still only won 2-1.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shrewsbury 3- Albion 0 after we had had secured the championship. Albeit I felt a bit cheated to find later our players had been on the piss before the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The 9 men Burnley game was good.

Liverpool 0-1 at Anfield when we first went up. Horton laying injured when they scored.

Wolves 2-3 when Lawrenson scores ‘that’ goal. Steve Daley was brilliant for Wolves.

Finally, the Man Utd 0-1, a couple of weeks ago. Everyone was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I have really fond memories of our 1-0 defeat to Burnley in 2011, the Craig Pawson game with the two reds. A great atmosphere at the Amex and a wonderful performance from CMS. I left the ground feeling a bit like we’d won, despite us getting nothing.

Can you think of any other defeats that you rather enjoyed?

It's the only time I can remember being on a high after a defeat.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really enjoyed the 1-5 against Liverpool. The attacking flair they showed was as good as any I’ve seen against the Albion. I quite like a manager who sets out to score more than the opposition. Obviously you need the forwards and creative players capable of playing like this. You won’t ever be bored following Klopp’s Liverpool.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
My best defeat was in the first season in the old div 2 when we lost 6-4 to Middlesborough with the fabulous Brian Clough in full war cry,what an exciting game

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For sheer GALLOWS humour, probably the 5-1 defeat to Stoke at Withdean at the end of the 2005-06 season. The Albion players were clearly already on the beach and didn't give a shit. So in the end neither did H Block. We were singing Rooney! Rooney! when the Stoke lad got his hat-trick, we berated the linesman for a Stoke disallowed goal (we were chanting We Want Six! at the time). Icing on the cake was when Doug Loft came on as a late sub, scored with a pitiful daisy-cutter and promptly got awarded Man Of The Match. My how we chuckled :lol:

That was the one that sprang to mind for me. The best example of gallows humour at a football match.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Brighton 2 Bristol Rovers 8
Smash and Grab - possibly the most lethal strike force in lower league football ever.

Remember it so well .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here