Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What’s your favourite ever Brighton defeat

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Albion 2 - 3 Liverpool in the cup replay. Boy had we given the greatest club side in Europe over past 2 decades one hell of a test over 2 matches. This before the days when 2nd fiddle sides put out. Incredible drama in both games and for a while in extra time we led only to have it cruelly snatched away. The press, the public, Liverpool et al was talking about us and what a performance we’d put in. I’m beaming with pride just remembering it and left the Goldstone that night similarly. It didn’t feel like a defeat. Far from it. Two epic games!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Went to both the 2002 & 2003 games as well and one of them was amusing, although can't remember which of them it was. We were so poor we struggled to get away any shots. "Let's pretend we've scored a goal! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!" With lots of bouncing around the terrace.

I LOVE that chant

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Easy. The 3-2 defeat to Wolves at the Goldstone in the FA Cup, 1979. We were going for promotion from the Second Division, they were in the top flight. Midweek match in January, the tie had been postponed twice due to snow. Superbly entertaining game, with Lawro scoring one of the grestest Albion goals ever. We were absolutely all over them at the end but their keeper played a blinder and we just couldn't score. We were out of the Cup but it was all about getting promotion that year anyway.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Easy. The 3-2 defeat to Wolves at the Goldstone in the FA Cup, 1979. We were going for promotion from the Second Division, they were in the top flight. Midweek match in January, the tie had been postponed twice due to snow. Superbly entertaining game, with Lawro scoring one of the grestest Albion goals ever. We were absolutely all over them at the end but their keeper played a blinder and we just couldn't score. We were out of the Cup but it was all about getting promotion that year anyway.

Another great memory .

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Another great memory .

It was such a great game I was absolutely buzzing on the way home even tho we'd lost. Weird! Lawro's classy run from one penalty area to the other to score is still probably the best Albion goal I've seen live (missed Nelse at Brentford sadly!)

Jan 30, 2008
Without derailing the thread, i know there was a load of trouble between us and Everton as years later in the 90's when i lived up there, loads of my Evertonian mates disliked or even feared our fans. But what went on?
feared ??? scouse on one of the buses back to lime street started laying into people on top deck driver pulled up told the scouse to get of then they put bricks through the windows, Brighton attacked on the concourse at lime st , got a bit of their own medicine at the Goldstone, good days
regards
DR

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I have really fond memories of our 1-0 defeat to Burnley in 2011, the Craig Pawson game with the two reds. A great atmosphere at the Amex and a wonderful performance from CMS. I left the ground feeling a bit like we’d won, despite us getting nothing.

Can you think of any other defeats that you rather enjoyed?

I agree pal
That be my choice

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Clearly, Charlton 4 Albion 3 in the late seventies at the Old Valley.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I think the 1969 League Cup defeat was better. http://www.11v11.com/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/tab/opposingTeams/

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
0-4 vs Arsenal we had reached the promised land and realised it would not be all milk and honey, but amazingly lasted four seasons

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Proper hate losing
However remember not giving a toss when Sheff Wed done us 0-4 at the Goldstone back in 1990
Happy singing was constant throughout the game and also strangely after the game in the North Stand for a good 15 minutes odd
Can't remember why so many stayed in the ground afters

We're gonna win the league, we're gonna win the league and now your gonna believe us, and now your gonna believe us, and now your gonna believe us, we're gonna win the league!

Well we got to the playoffs anyway.

el punal

Brighton 2 Bristol Rovers 8
Smash and Grab - possibly the most lethal strike force in lower league football ever.

Now that game was pure black comedy at its best (or worst). Admittedly Warboys and Bannister were class acts, but boy, were they helped by the Albion defence that decided it was time to give generously. Almost every Rovers attack looked as if they were going to score. All of the proceedings covered by ITV's Big Match cameras. I really didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

And not forgetting of course being stuffed 4-0 at home in the cup by Walton and Hersham three days earlier. Such happy days!

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I have really fond memories of our 1-0 defeat to Burnley in 2011, the Craig Pawson game with the two reds. A great atmosphere at the Amex and a wonderful performance from CMS. I left the ground feeling a bit like we’d won, despite us getting nothing.

When I saw the thread title I thought of this game immediately. Thanks saved me racking my brains for another. The Barnes sending off was hilarious/ludicrous from what I remember & the atmosphere was electric. Great performance by the 9!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here