Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What’s your favourite ever Brighton defeat

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I can't say I enjoyed it but I felt a lot of pride (along with the inevitable frustration) after the FA cup defeat at White Hart Lane in 2005. I live in the heart of Tottenham's fanbase and there was universal praise for our performance ,and not in a patronising way; we gave them a real fright.

Good call, I did think of this game when I opened the thread.
Good memories of this game, Albion beaten by a very good Robbie Keane goal.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
v Wolves League Cup 1969 with the North Stand goal covered in bog rolls . Lost 3-2 . 32000 plus crowd.

Attachments

• img675.jpg
    img675.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 232

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Albion 0-4 home loss to Arsenal in 1979.
I remember no matter how hard the Albion tried to score, the Gooners always had an answer.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Our 2-0 loss to Norwich where Stockdale scored both their goals with his back!
Rousing renditions of "on our way" and still plenty of time to win the championship :moo:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have really fond memories of our 1-0 defeat to Burnley in 2011, the Craig Pawson game with the two reds. A great atmosphere at the Amex and a wonderful performance from CMS. I left the ground feeling a bit like we’d won, despite us getting nothing.

Can you think of any other defeats that you rather enjoyed?
I'd go with that, or Brighton 2-3 Leeds that was a very exciting game

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
4-3 away defeat against Charlton at the Valley in the late 70s. Came back from 2-0 down to be leading 3-2 and then went onto lose. Great atmosphere and exciting game.

My favourite too. Fantastic attacking play from both sides. Didn't the team coach turn up late, and Charlton caught us before we'd woken up?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I can't remember whether it was a defeat or a drawbut the Charlton game at the Withdean when Calderon was sent off after about 5 minutes.

I remember Murray being unbelievable and Kishishev nearly winning it in the last minute....

I didn't enjoy the Pawson Burnley game at all - was too angry at the injustice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
v Wolves League Cup 1969 with the North Stand goal covered in bog rolls . Lost 3-2 . 32000 plus crowd.
I was on the front of thechicken run for this one good cup run Beating Birmingham & Portsmouth Alex Dawson was great and then losing to Wolves on of our best cup runs.mike Bailey was wolves captain. Dougan and Curran show.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'd go with that, or Brighton 2-3 Leeds that was a very exciting game

When was that? Or do you mean the 3-3 when Dirty Leeds equalised in the last minute? Was my first game at the Amex and it was really good. But we didn't lose.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
When was that? Or do you mean the 3-3 when Dirty Leeds equalised in the last minute? Was my first game at the Amex and it was really good. But we didn't lose.
Oh yeah that was it, was a little drunk and busy giving the Leeds fans grief...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Losing 3-0 at home to Pompey about 25 years ago? Old Bill were letting the Skates into our home areas in the North Stand, even though they were wearing colours, and then told us the ground was full (usual Sussex Police football cock up), so we buggered off to The Stadium Pub and enjoyed a few pints and some ' afters' a couple of hours later!

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
91 FA Cup 4th round replay vs Liverpool. Played great and we were 2-1 up in extra time, only to lose 3-2. Combine that with the original 2-2 up there, great memories!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have really fond memories of our 1-0 defeat to Burnley in 2011, the Craig Pawson game with the two reds. A great atmosphere at the Amex and a wonderful performance from CMS. I left the ground feeling a bit like we’d won, despite us getting nothing.

Can you think of any other defeats that you rather enjoyed?

yes that was a great atmosphere.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Albion 3 Chartlon Ath 5 - 1985 I think. Just remember it being a cracking game that could have gone either way

Yoda

English & European
Brentford 4 Brighton 0
Memory is failing me a little on precisely when this was. Pretty sure it was live on ITV Digital midweek, I thought it was sometime in late 90s but an internet search shows we lost 4-0 to them away twice - in 2002 and 2003 so it must have been one of those.

Stand-out memory is us singing "4-3, we're going to win 4-3" changing to "5-4, we're going to win 5-4" without missing a beat when they scored their fourth.
What could have been a really grim night ended up being great fun thanks to the p***-taking gallows humour of Brighton fans.

Went to both the 2002 & 2003 games as well and one of them was amusing, although can't remember which of them it was. We were so poor we struggled to get away any shots. "Let's pretend we've scored a goal! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!" With lots of bouncing around the terrace.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Agree with a lot of previous posts, and would add a midweek loss to Notts Forest years ago, when Nathan Jones scored a worldie with his right foot. Epic support that night.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I'm not sure if it counts as a defeat cause on the night it was a draw, but the first 25 minutes of that play off semi against Sheffield Wednesday was one of the best times at the AMEX for atmosphere, I remember I was sitting on my own and I absolutely lost it for our goal, and then in a completely different way for their's including a few lovely gestures towards their travelling faithful :blush: I'm not proud of myself :blush:.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here