Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is casual racism towards the Irish, Scots and Welsh still acceptable?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I could go on about this all day. My Mum was Irish. Beautiful flame haired Dublin girl who loved both Ireland and England. Married a London born Paddy who was a British Army Sergeant. Still don't understand how that all worked.
I was born in a Military Hospital in Tidworth, family moved to Portslade right after I was born so I am a proper Sussex boy. Mum always told me I was an Englishman and to be proud of it. Yet we ribbed each other all the time. She was one of 11 and my Uncle Vincent from Dublin used to tell great Irish jokes. I have an extensive family made up mainly of Cousins in Ireland who, when we meet up, rip the shyt out of each. And we adore each other.
Long may this remain but I may end up in court if this type of so called xenophobia is overheard. Which is just bonkers.

Edit: My favourite Uncle Vince joke. What is the definition of an Irish Queer? One who prefers Women to Beer.

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
If you are a millennial snowflake, you probably lose sleep over it. Normal people, not so much.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The last we played Crewe away was marred by chants of "You're Welsh and we know you are", which only made those doing it look stupid as Wales is about 50 miles away from Crewe.

You might as well call people from Brighton, "cockneys".

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
ABE does my head in. I was going to add (wrt my jock work colleagues), 'why live here if you hate us so much?', then I realised, 'here' and 'there' are the same since Scotland (and Wales and Ulster) are all part of the country known as GBNI.

So, I guess that if I am going to whip up faux outrage about ABE I should also espouse the 'indepenence for Scotland' (and Wales) cause. I don't include Ulster since in fairness half of them already think they are English (and the other half think they are Irish) so I don't think ABE comes into it.

The one thing I find most baffling is that I have never met a jock who would support England versus anyone, yet more than half the voters voted to remain part of the union (I know ABE jocks who did exactly that). HTF does that work? Is this some sort of mental masochism?

The answer to the OP's Q is very certainly not, btw (who'd have thunk it?).

I think the vowels are playing up on your keyboard geez???

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
To be Honest, it’s all about context, if it’s like taking the piss out of your mates and it’s reciprocal it’s fine, if it’s hate based and driven by prejudice it’s not acceptable.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
ABE does my head in. I was going to add (wrt my jock work colleagues), 'why live here if you hate us so much?', then I realised, 'here' and 'there' are the same since Scotland (and Wales and Ulster) are all part of the country known as GBNI.

So, I guess that if I am going to whip up faux outrage about ABE I should also espouse the 'indepenence for Scotland' (and Wales) cause. I don't include Ulster since in fairness half of them already think they are English (and the other half think they are Irish) so I don't think ABE comes into it.

The one thing I find most baffling is that I have never met a jock who would support England versus anyone, yet more than half the voters voted to remain part of the union (I know ABE jocks who did exactly that). HTF does that work? Is this some sort of mental masochism?

The answer to the OP's Q is very certainly not, btw (who'd have thunk it?).
Jocks supporting England? It was great to see and hear the Jocks cheering on the English at the last Commonwealth games - happened in every race, but only if there wasn't a Jock in the race! ( am I allowed to say "Jock"?)

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Yes - on the basis that casual racism to the English is acceptable if you are Scots, Welsh or Irish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As the biggest country in British Isles England has relentlessly exploited its smaller neighbours and justified it by judging them as inferior. This has left a certain residual resentment towards the English which is hardly a surprise.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As the biggest country in British Isles England has relentlessly exploited its smaller neighbours and justified it by judging them as inferior. This has left a certain residual resentment towards the English which is hardly a surprise.

I have never heard of 'relentlessly exploited' being used to mean 'subsidised' before. The compilers of Thesauruses will be most interested...................

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14701901.UK_subsidy_to_Scotland_soars_after_oil_price_slump/

........and this from a Scottish newspaper, not an English one. I strongly suspect the situation is very similar in the cases of Wales and Norn Iron.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Told to me by a Swansea fan.

What do you do if you see a group of welshman chasing after a herd of sheep?

Run after them, you dont want to be left with an ugly one do you?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

So are you saying that punishong people for the sins of ancestors is OK or bullying say in scotland is justified? assuming your first sentence is true?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I have never heard of 'relentlessly exploited' being used to mean 'subsidised' before. The compilers of Thesauruses will be most interested...................

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14701901.UK_subsidy_to_Scotland_soars_after_oil_price_slump/

........and this from a Scottish newspaper, not an English one. I strongly suspect the situation is very similar in the cases of Wales and Norn Iron.

Crikey that is a narrow view of history; subsidisation has only been required since England's post colonial phase of history. The resources of Scotland/Wales/Ireland were relentlessly exploited to build that empire, for e,g, coal from Wales, ships from Scotland and linen and horses from Ireland. And of course manpower for the armies and colonists for the seized territories.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
So are you saying that punishong people for the sins of ancestors is OK or bullying say in scotland is justified? assuming your first sentence is true?

What is all this about "punishing people for their sins"? The subject of this post is whether casual racism against the Irish, Welsh and Scots still acceptable. Are you saying that if it comes the other way towards the English it's bullying? Oh and of course my first sentence is true.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here