Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is casual racism towards the Irish, Scots and Welsh still acceptable?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Remember in school the Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman jokes being the order of the day. Don’t hear these jokes anymore. To be fair the stereotype of the Irish as being “not the full ticket” as well as hopeless alcoholics and the Scots as alcoholics has pretty much stood the test of time. Not sure about the Welsh ? A bit backwards :wrong:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think it probably depends on who you talk to. I tend to work on the basis that I try not to needlessly insult anyone for no reason. However, if I have a close friend from one of these countries (plus I have some family living in Wales) who I know is okay with some “banter” along these lines who will also give as good back, then it’s fine. It’s mainly about knowing your audience.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Indeed. Knowing your audience. No problem. On the same subject i was reminded that Bellamy got precious and reported us to the FA over sheep shagging calls (after over celebrating in front of the new North Stand).

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman are all working on a construction site, building a new skyscraper in London. It’s lunchtime and they’re all sat atop the building. Englishman opens up his lunchbox to see what his wife has packed him.

“Ugh… Ham and cheese sandwich… again. I’m ****ing sick of ham and cheese sandwiches, it’s the same every bloody day. If I get another ham and cheese sandwich in my lunch box tomorrow I’m jumping off the top of this building.”

Next, the Scotsman opens up his lunch box.*“Aackk, jam sandwich… again. I cannee go on like this eating jam sandwiches every day of me life! If I get the same again tomorrow I’m jumping as well.”

Next it’s the Irishman’s turn.*“Ohh for fecks sake! Not another egg and cress sandwich! That’s the fourth one in a row this week! I’m with you boys, one more egg and cress sandwich and I’m jumping!”

So next day they sit at the top of the building to have lunch. One by one they open up their lunch boxes… Englishman finds another ham and cheese sandwich, so off he jumps, and splats into the ground below. Scotsman finds another jam sandwich… Off he goes…Splat. Irishman, egg and cress sandwich… Splat.

A week or so later later the three widows are talking at the memorial service. English widow says, through tears, “I still can’t believe it, had no idea George hated ham and cheese so much, if only i’d known…”

Scottish widow says “Duncan did say he was getting a bit bored of Jam, but I didn’t realise he hated it that much, I just wish he’d have let me know how he really felt.”

Irish widow says “I… I just don’t understand… Paddy made his own sandwiches.”

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course it's unacceptable! Disgusting, in fact. And we need to be a damn sight more gracious and fully respect them all when they enthusiastically espouse their cause of 'ABE'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course it's unacceptable! Disgusting, in fact. And we need to be a damn sight more gracious and fully respect them all when they enthusiastically espouse their cause of 'ABE'.

ABE does my head in. I was going to add (wrt my jock work colleagues), 'why live here if you hate us so much?', then I realised, 'here' and 'there' are the same since Scotland (and Wales and Ulster) are all part of the country known as GBNI.

So, I guess that if I am going to whip up faux outrage about ABE I should also espouse the 'indepenence for Scotland' (and Wales) cause. I don't include Ulster since in fairness half of them already think they are English (and the other half think they are Irish) so I don't think ABE comes into it.

The one thing I find most baffling is that I have never met a jock who would support England versus anyone, yet more than half the voters voted to remain part of the union (I know ABE jocks who did exactly that). HTF does that work? Is this some sort of mental masochism?

The answer to the OP's Q is very certainly not, btw (who'd have thunk it?).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Indeed. Knowing your audience. No problem. On the same subject i was reminded that Bellamy got precious and reported us to the FA over sheep shagging calls (after over celebrating in front of the new North Stand).

I can’t believe that. Anyone with any sense knows no sheep would be seen shagging that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
ABE does my head in. I was going to add (wrt my jock work colleagues), 'why live here if you hate us so much?', then I realised, 'here' and 'there' are the same since Scotland (and Wales and Ulster) are all part of the country known as GBNI.

So, I guess that if I am going to whip up faux outrage about ABE I should also espouse the 'indepenence for Scotland' (and Wales) cause. I don't include Ulster since in fairness half of them already think they are English (and the other half think they are Irish) so I don't think ABE comes into it.

Don't you start.

For the umpteenth time, Ulster is not Northern Ireland, Some people in Ulster think they're Irish because, er, some of them live in the Republic of Ireland (and are certainly not part of GBNI)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't you start.

For the umpteenth time, Ulster is not Northern Ireland, Some people in Ulster think they're Irish because, er, some of them live in the Republic of Ireland (and are certainly not part of GBNI)
....and some people who live in Ulster within Northern Ireland don't think they're Irish?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The banter between the Irish, Scottish, Welsh and English has always been accepted in the military way of life.
It's part of the commoradary between the troops.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Could it be that the English have become less insular in the last 30 years and realised that the stereotypes of other nationalities they've used to gain a sense of superiority are generally wrong? Anyway here's a joke for you:

Q: Why don't the English suffer from piles?
A: Because when God made the English he created perfect a*seholes

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I don't know who reminded you, but they were wrong.

The game was on television, and a viewer thought he heard that chant, and reported the Albion for racism. When it was investigated, we had been chanting Sea Sea Seasiders. You were right that Craig Bellamy was playing in that game.

https://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/...r-craig-bellamy-abuse-investigation-1-3161465

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The irony of reading this thread minutes after watching England's capitulation Down Under Under is not lost on me. If you want "mental toughness" then people have to be able to handle a bit of adversity and banter along the way.

Humour is a crucial mechanism, a valve for releasing pressure and enabling people to cope. We wouldn't have lasted 4 years in the trenches without a healthy dose of gallows humour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here