Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Best pub in Sussex.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Best Pub : Duke of Welllington, Shoreham

Best Micropub : Watchmakers Arms, Hove or Brooksteed, Worthing

Yep, The Brookstead has to be right up on the micropub ethos.

Great little place and superbly run with great beers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Isn't your local your favourite? I like The Railway in Portslade because it's full of my mates but I wouldn't recommend it to a non local. Equally Brett did a fantastic job with The Windmill so my next Brighton town centre drink will be in The Caxton. And I love the Nelson to pop into but it's not Sussex's best. In fact I sort of agree with BG :wozza:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Heart in Hand.

thankyou for highlighting this pub. must have walked past a hundred times and didnt even recognise the name, and i do like a time warp pub.

mentions for couple of Eastbourne pubs, The Dewdrop and The Doplhin have been very pleasant a couple of recent trips. also the Giants Rest in Wilmington is a very unpretentious country pub.

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Duke of Wellington run by a Palace fan??

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

The Palace fan and bar manager sadly passed away a couple of years ago. His name was Brodie.

He was a gentleman and true Crystal Palace fan and a good friend of Roy Chuter, and also a lot of other Albion fans.

He is sadly missed, whether or not he was a pikey boy ( sorry Brodie x ).

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
For me it has to be the Star at Old Heathfield, fabulous old pub in a wonderful situation overlooking the Weald.

Excellent ales and the food never ever disappointed me, just a fabulous old pub (17th century ? )

Sadly too far away from where I am currently !

The Wheatsheaf, Jarvis Brook. Characterful building, Harveys tied house, landlord is (I believe) an Albion fan as he was giving score updates for the "Lucky Spurs" game at the quiz night on Wednesday.

For me it has to be the Star at Old Heathfield, fabulous old pub in a wonderful situation overlooking the Weald.

Excellent ales and the food never ever disappointed me, just a fabulous old pub (17th century ? )

Sadly too far away from where I am currently !

The other "Star" not far away in Waldron is also a fine pub, although I haven't been there for a while recent reports suggest it is still good.

theboybilly

Never been in a micropub, are they more expensive?

They shouldn't be more expensive and there seems to be some confusion as to what makes a 'micropub'. For me it is the selling of real ales and wines with the focus on conversation over any form of entertainment whether it be live music or a jukebox. Some are crossing the line and introducing keg beers alongside cask and some having spirits (mainly gin) Of my two favourites the Watchmakers sticks to Real Ale, ciders and wines with a few bar snacks. They occasionally put on a bit of entertainment but not in any way regularly. The Brooksteed has more choice of drink in that they will have gins on and occasionally something extra. Opening hours at micropubs vary because of location and residents wishes but it all seems to work very well and the owners are almost always top people who would
never knowingly sell you a substandard pint. A far cry from some of the dross running pubs nowadays. I tend to use micropubs more and more because I know the standard is going to be good if not better and I've yet to witness any bother in one. I thoroughly recommend them

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Lewes has the John Harvey (Tuesday dray delivery), Gardeners Arms & the Black Horse.
Burton has too many but Bridge Street, Coopers, Last Heretic and the Weighbridge are all real ale pubs

Pickles

May 5, 2014
They shouldn't be more expensive and there seems to be some confusion as to what makes a 'micropub'. For me it is the selling of real ales and wines with the focus on conversation over any form of entertainment whether it be live music or a jukebox. Some are crossing the line and introducing keg beers alongside cask and some having spirits (mainly gin) Of my two favourites the Watchmakers sticks to Real Ale, ciders and wines with a few bar snacks. They occasionally put on a bit of entertainment but not in any way regularly. The Brooksteed has more choice of drink in that they will have gins on and occasionally something extra. Opening hours at micropubs vary because of location and residents wishes but it all seems to work very well and the owners are almost always top people who would
never knowingly sell you a substandard pint. A far cry from some of the dross running pubs nowadays. I tend to use micropubs more and more because I know the standard is going to be good if not better and I've yet to witness any bother in one. I thoroughly recommend them

The biggest criteria of a micropub is NO LAGER,on tap.

That rules out most of my mates..

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Cheers for that, great information there.
I've been meaning to take a visit to the Rebellion brewery at Marlow, I know they some nice ales and do tasting sessions.
Something for the new year.

theboybilly

The biggest criteria of a micropub is NO LAGER.

That rules out most of my mates..

It most certainly does not rule out lager. What you won't get is Carling, Stella, Kronenbourg 1664 or suchlike. You will find a crafted lager or something like the original Czech Budweiser. For ciders it is just the same : Gwatkins instead of Bulmers for example. What I like to see is the promoting of Sussex breweries in our local micropubs

Pickles

May 5, 2014
It most certainly does not rule out lager. What you won't get is Carling, Stella, Kronenbourg 1664 or suchlike. You will find a crafted lager or something like the original Czech Budweiser. For ciders it is just the same : Gwatkins instead of Bulmers for example. What I like to see is the promoting of Sussex breweries in our local micropubs

I can assure you, that the ethos is no lager on tap, as I said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here