Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Best pub in Sussex.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In Brighton The Great Eastern is the best. Different ale on every time you walk in there and it's no different to how it was 20 years ago.

Outside of Brighton - The F.I.L.O in Hastings Old Town, with honourable mentions to The Dolphin and The Albion there too.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
thankyou for highlighting this pub. must have walked past a hundred times and didnt even recognise the name, and i do like a time warp pub.

mentions for couple of Eastbourne pubs, The Dewdrop and The Doplhin have been very pleasant a couple of recent trips. also the Giants Rest in Wilmington is a very unpretentious country pub.

Giants rest is excellent. Seems to have stayed off the Sunday day out from Hanover radar too as a bonus.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with BG, 'best' is a bit too subjective, so with regard to 'favourite' ... well I haven't really got a favourite any more. It used to be The Bugle, but that's gone downhill massively since Ian and Eileen retired. They still put the Fish Brothers on though so I still go.

As has been mentioned it all depends on what you want though. For me the 'best' pub for watching football is my local the Fiveways (Stanmer as was). Don't go there for anything else though. For beer it's the John Harvey tavern in Lewes, and for food probably any 'Spoons.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A vote here for the Duke of Boots as my fave Brighton pub. No side to it, always friendly, solid Albion. Harvey's and other ale. They will have footie and cricket viewable from the same spot if you are so inclined.

Earlier this year the landlord gave a group of 8 of us a free round of Jaeger bombs purely as one of our group was an old mate of his he hadn't seen for ages.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was in Chamonix on a final night, final drink and asked for a round of jaeger shots. The bar owner kindly said we could have bombs on the house and then left what seemed like a hundred cans and glasses and measures on the bar before serving another customer; I had to ask a young person what to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They shouldn't be more expensive and there seems to be some confusion as to what makes a 'micropub'. For me it is the selling of real ales and wines with the focus on conversation over any form of entertainment whether it be live music or a jukebox. Some are crossing the line and introducing keg beers alongside cask and some having spirits (mainly gin) Of my two favourites the Watchmakers sticks to Real Ale, ciders and wines with a few bar snacks. They occasionally put on a bit of entertainment but not in any way regularly. The Brooksteed has more choice of drink in that they will have gins on and occasionally something extra. Opening hours at micropubs vary because of location and residents wishes but it all seems to work very well and the owners are almost always top people who would
never knowingly sell you a substandard pint. A far cry from some of the dross running pubs nowadays. I tend to use micropubs more and more because I know the standard is going to be good if not better and I've yet to witness any bother in one. I thoroughly recommend them

It’s a very interesting scene and around 6 years ago a bunch of us from NSC met up with an idea to starting one. I remember @The Large One and the ever eloquent @Collosal Squid were in attendance.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
My favourite, rather than the best in Sussex as I have not been to then all is The Wheatsheaf in willingdon village between Eastbourne and polegate. Friendly old pub with real ales and not expensive. A hidden gem in a beautiful setting.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
the Red Lion in Turners Hill used to be a great pub as did the Frog And Nightgown in Faygate, but haven't been up that way in quite a few years. the Three Moles in Selham is good. Brookstead in Worthing is great a Micropub and of course the Snowdrop in Lewes which doesn't attract the knuckle dragging pint of Stella types is a good retreat for a couple of beers.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Five Bells West Chiltington, Free House always has five Real Ales on ranging from a Mild on Leg Stump through session beers to a 5% plus beast on Off Stump.

Bill is a 3rd generation Publican who I'm sure wants to be carried out of the Pub, good food, no music, dog and walker friendly.

Supports local Micros but has a definite preference for Palmers Dorset Beers!

Consistently CAMRA Pub of The Year for this part of Sussex.

My Local. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very true as I very rarely go to a pub a now asI find them too expensive and full of wallies drinking stupid drinks or drinking through a straw.not direct from the glass.

Those are 'ladies', BG. They have been allowed into pubs for some years.:lolol:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Those are 'ladies', BG. They have been allowed into pubs for some years.:lolol:

My favourite pubs in Brighton were
Lion and Lobster
The Albert
The William the IV - I know it was a bit rubbish but it was local to my work and did a fantastic welsh rarebit
The Shakespeares Head (the one near the station which only sells/sold combos of bangers and mash for food - delicious)
The Horse and Groom when I first moved there - lived a couple of doors down. Proper friendly locals pub where all the regulars would drink and play pool together Used to often all pile back to someones house and share curry and a smoke - regularly used to all pile over to Dieppe or something eat a load of mussels, sink some french beers and wines and get a load of cheeses and meats etc for a sit on the floor buffet on the ferry back

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
OT there was a great pub in Worcester, largely a bikers pub but us youngsters back then welcome too, Sundays consisted of us all meeting there having a couple then off to a local park for a game of rounders against the hairy bikers and a keg of home made cider donated by the landlord, happy local days

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here