Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Best pub in Sussex.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Genuine question, what if it's a homebrew/craft lager? Do they exist? And is the rule strictly no lager from the barrel?

I really have no idea. The reason I said NO LAGER on tap, is because that is exactly what I was told in that fashion by an owner of a very well run and respected micropub. I have looked into it and that is the ethos.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I really have no idea. The reason I said NO LAGER on tap, is because that is exactly what I was told in that fashion by an owner of a very well run and respected micropub. I have looked into it and that is the ethos.

Fair enough! I've only ever been in a few micropubs so not really clued up about them. One in particular that my mates and I loved was the one just down from Burton station which, funnily enough, was run by a die-hard Palace fan. Lovely chap too.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

That sounds like a rather pompous and exclusionary ethos.

theboybilly

You will find craft lagers in micropubs as I've seen them in more than one occasion. The whole micropub scene began on the North Kent coast around Herne Bay and there are loads of them about now. On away trips I always search for a smaller venue to drink and can normally find a m/pub somewhere. You always seem to know what you're getting unlike regular chain pubs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
sla.jpg

Pickles

May 5, 2014
That sounds like a rather pompous and exclusionary ethos.

I tend to agree, sort of.

Basically, I asked the question via e mail, and the reply was to the point and superbly done.

It wasn't written by Paul Barber because it was concise and to the point :wink:

The owner did, very correctly state, that they had many top quality Pils in bottles.

It's just the lager on tap, of whatever quality, that seems to be the issue.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Tally Ho, Landport Estate, Lewes. Last in there in 79 mind.

I’m sure that your suggestion was rather tongue in cheek Smudge but as @Guinessboy said earlier on the thread, your local pub is where the heart is and I genuinely would not swap The Tally for any other pub in Sussex.

We’ve had some fantastic (too many to mention) days and nights up the Tally and trips out - live football, Racing all the Box Office Boxing, Pool and Darts aplenty and lots of space for all. For me a proper pub with the best landlord and landlady (Dick and Lou) that I’ve ever known, 25+ years running the place have fostered a real community spirit and loads of events done for a variety of local charities. It’ll be a sad day when they both retire in the next couple of years.

Also a big Albion contingent that travel down from the Tally and mostly congregrate in the North - It has it’s knockers but mainly from people who’ve either never set foot in the place or once did back in the 70’s :lolol:

For me a good pub is also one that you know you can visit alone and that when you get there, that there will always be someone you know and can talk to and they’re already pouring your drink by the time you get to the bar :cheers: Love it. That’s two votes for the Tally now :albion2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lewes has the John Harvey (Tuesday dray delivery), Gardeners Arms & the Black Horse.
Burton has too many but Bridge Street, Coopers, Last Heretic and the Weighbridge are all real ale pubs

The Snowdrop is a nice pub as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Favourite at the moment is probably Brighton Beer Dispensary.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The landlord in the Welly is top drawer.
A vote here for the Duke of Boots as my fave Brighton pub. No side to it, always friendly, solid Albion. Harvey's and other ale. They will have footie and cricket viewable from the same spot if you are so inclined.

Earlier this year the landlord gave a group of 8 of us a free round of Jaeger bombs purely as one of our group was an old mate of his he hadn't seen for ages.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here