Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sunday School

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have you considered counseling?
I don't need it. I would be rather concerned for you thinking I might need it - anyway, I hope your fixation with the evils of Sunday schools doesn't rule your life - that would be terribly tedious! Thank goodness nobody started a thread about the local church fete - apoplexy can be very dangerous!

I don't need it. I would be rather concerned for you thinking I might need it - anyway, I hope your fixation with the evils of Sunday schools doesn't rule your life - that would be terribly tedious! Thank goodness nobody started a thread about the local church fete - apoplexy can be very dangerous!

Thanks for your concern, it means much to me, it really does.

Just a thought, are you a Sunday school teacher?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The fact that you didn't go to Sunday school and you didn't get nonced is no proof of cause or effect. There is simply no link. You might as well say that if people have red hair it's because they weren't born on a Wednesday. Equally pointless and inaccurate.

And as previous posters have rightly pointed out (even though it is a fact that doesn't match your prejudices so you choose to ignore it) you are statistically far more likely to have been abused by your father or uncle than by one of the nice ladies that usually run Sunday schools. Anyway, if your brother wants the chance to **** the **** off his good lady on a Sunday afternoon without the risk of being interrupted by the kids, don't be such a dog in the manger!

So if Hillian was one of the 5 not forced to go, that means his brother did go. So therefore his brother will know more about Sunday school, than Hillian who didn't go.

Anyone else think this thread was a fishing trip?

So if Hillian was one of the 5 not forced to go, that means his brother did go. So therefore his brother will know more about Sunday school, than Hillian who didn't go.

You just made that up you morally corrupt old trout.

I said I wouldn't be forced to believe, not that I wasn't forced to go.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You just made that up you morally corrupt old trout.

I said I wouldn't be forced to believe, not that I wasn't forced to go.

Oh the irony. I'm not the one accusing every Sunday school teacher of being a paedophile.

Yes, there have been cases of priests and ministers molesting children, but I can't remember a case where a Sunday school teacher was jailed for it.

Oh the irony. I'm not the one accusing every Sunday school teacher of being a paedophile.

Yes, there have been cases of priests and ministers molesting children, but I can't remember a case where a Sunday school teacher was jailed for it.

Would you mind pointing out where I accused every Sunday school teacher of this please.

Me thinks you doth protest too much.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would you mind pointing out where I accused every Sunday school teacher of this please.

Me thinks you doth protest too much.

“Personally I think anyone who teaches religion is a wrong un, best avoided, in positions where they are able to abuse”

Probably an interpretation of this.....

“Personally I think anyone who teaches religion is a wrong un, best avoided, in positions where they are able to abuse”

Probably an interpretation of this.....

Interpretation.

I think anyone who teaches people, especially children, to believe in sky fairies is a wrong un.
It's abuse.

Doesn't make them kiddy fiddler's though, and I didn't say it either until mentioned on the thread,

Too much defensiveness here , hmm.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I was thrown out of Sunday School for drawing pictures of Christ on the cross being fired at by Spitfires .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thanks for your concern, it means much to me, it really does.

Just a thought, are you a Sunday school teacher?

Just a thought? More a mental meltdown! No, I'm not a Sunday school teacher. No, I'm not a god-botherer either. I'm just an ordinary citizen who went to Sunday school, quite enjoyed it, partly because all my mates went too, and we weren't kiddy-fiddled.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Of course it was. Same as most of his other posts. Anyone actually brought into answer his original post seriously needs to open their eyes a bit.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've heard lots of atheists say that despite their rock-solid belief that it's all fairy stories, they still enjoy singing Christmas Carols in church. The high-priest of modern day atheism, Richard Dawkins calls himself "culturally Anglican" (Douglas Murray, another prominent atheist says the same). I think both recognise that there's an important place still for the church and for understanding its historic place in society, the way it has shaped our culture and the role it now has. In other words, it's still possible to disagree completely with it's beliefs but still find comfort with the traditions and ceremonies. Personally, I think the term "cultural Anglican" is a great description and certainly something I feel too although I'm completely agnostic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...Dawkins-admits-he-is-a-cultural-Anglican.html

I agree with this. I'm an atheist and yet there's something very comforting about church. I still go from time to time (and not just at Christmas).

As for Sunday school. I went every week until I was about 9.

I think it has a lot to commend it: reading from the Bible improved my reading skills and vocabulary no end. And a knowledge of the Bible stands you in very good stead for understanding many other books - try reading Paradise Lost or The Divine Comedy without knowledge of the Bible. Or understanding figures of speech like gadarene swine or the wise virgins.

Having said that, I wouldn't force my child to it (as I was) ... and my two stayed free of the clutches of the god botherers.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008

That's because they tend to target to vulnerable or species ed needs type kids that eat crayons and who no one takes seriously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here