Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sunday School

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
WTF?! How do you jump from Sunday school - usually governed by parents - to kiddy fiddling? Seriously, have a word!

Because 90% of kiddy fiddling is in the family. It must be true, I read it here.

Sure I remember reading in the Argus ages back that some creepy old bird nonced up a remedial kid in Sunday School and then ended up marrying him. No way I'd ever let any of my family set foot in one of those paedo carnivals

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
So having given your opinion, why are you seeking affirmation from Nsc? Are you not secure in your opinion?

Btw, Moshe is right. Over 90% of child abusers are within a child's family not strangers, teachers etc.

All churches have young children's work, not necessarily called Sunday school any more, and all youth and children's workers are CRB checked.

I hold 5 DBS checks for various youth led things. The problem with DBS checks is they are only really in date whilst you are being checked. Once you have the piece of paper saying you are ok to work with young people the DBS is effectively out of date and useless. Nothing stopping someone with a DBS check doing something in the three years the DBS is good for.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
When I went to Sunday school [in the 60's] - it was more a creche while my parents were in the church service - I don't recall much religion being taught [or any kiddie fiddling].

To think that everyone involved in a religious activity is a paedophile is a tad shortsighted Mr Hillian1

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was forced to attend Sunday school in Shoreham with evil nuns. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Plus the building was old and perpetually cold, even in the summer. It's like Dementors lived there.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Actually, based upon my experience with the Catholic Church I recommend you tell him to send them - that experience was a major part of me realizing that it's all bollocks and me becoming a non-believer. So, there is a positive side.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Actually, based upon my experience with the Catholic Church I recommend you tell him to send them - that experience was a major part of me realizing that it's all bollocks and me becoming a non-believer. So, there is a positive side.

Same, my catholic schooling helped me significantly in my move toward atheism.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Well that's made my mind up.

I shall discourage the idea of Sunday school.

Sounds like it's full of nonces.

I HATED Sunday school. I knew from a very early age that I was an atheist and always would be and went to a Roman Catholic school, was in the Cathedral Choir and obviously went to Sunday school. My parents werent religious. I believed in dinosours and science and could not pair it all together.

However different horses different courses. Despite not being religious looking back, not at the time so much - too much practice and sitting through sermons (which actually made some sense but bored me) I look fondly back at my days in the choir having sung at the Albert Hall and toured some countries

I respect peoples opinions and if that means beleiving in a god that I don't so be it I hope they would send the same respect back (which they dont in SA though I am not there tight now)

The child is hopefully old enough to make their own mind up after a few sessions. If they dont like it dont force it. If they do then the worst that can happen is they make somme friends and it might give your brother and his partner something to get involved with too. Nothing to lose, not my bag though

I HATED Sunday school. I knew from a very early age that I was an atheist and always would be and went to a Roman Catholic school, was in the Cathedral Choir and obviously went to Sunday school. My parents werent religious. I believed in dinosours and science and could not pair it all together.

However different horses different courses. Despite not being religious looking back, not at the time so much - too much practice and sitting through sermons (which actually made some sense but bored me) I look fondly back at my days in the choir having sung at the Albert Hall and toured some countries

I respect peoples opinions and if that means beleiving in a god that I don't so be it I hope they would send the same respect back (which they dont in SA though I am not there tight now)

The child is hopefully old enough to make their own mind up after a few sessions. If they dont like it dont force it. If they do then the worst that can happen is they make somme friends and it might give your brother and his partner something to get involved with too. Nothing to lose, not my bag though

After reading the post about the scabby nonce bitch getting into some poor little dribblers superman pants I think I'll make the decision for him thanks very much.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I'm very much of the view that children should not be indoctrinated into the religion of their parents at an early age, and the child should be free to chose to believe in a God based upon their own thoughts and experiences, at an appropriate age. What intrigues me is why your parents, who by your own admission weren't religious, decided to send you to Catholic Sunday school? Or was it a pre-requisite to getting into the choir?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Apart from the stickers of religious scenes that got me collection all other types of shit, the main good thing that came out of it is that I went to the crypt at St Agnes Church in the late fifties - it introduced me to the Goldstone Ground where I found my perfect heaven.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm very much of the view that children should not be indoctrinated into the religion of their parents at an early age, and the child should be free to chose to believe in a God based upon their own thoughts and experiences, at an appropriate age. What intrigues me is why your parents, who by your own admission weren't religious, decided to send you to Catholic Sunday school? Or was it a pre-requisite to getting into the choir?

Thats a good question thanks

I dont know why I went to a Catholic Sunday School
I think the reason was probably that we had no money and my parents liked to keep us educated and busy. We did it all, chess clubs. cubs, choirs, trampolining, football of course, karate, scouts, table tennis pretty much anything where the cost was low or none

The reason for the Sunday school definitely wasnt to get me into the choir. My Roman Catholic Primary school put me into the choir at Worcester Cathedral in order to augment me into my secondary school (which happens to be on the back of an old 20 pound note) where the government paid a chunk of my fees and my dad had to work nights to pay the rest. When he couldnt afford his part anymore a teacher took over mine and my brothers payments at C3000 per term each. Humbling from a rough estate and was reading Great Expectations at the time. Me an Bro were Pip

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thats a good question thanks

I dont know why I went to a Catholic Sunday School
I think the reason was probably that we had no money and my parents liked to keep us educated and busy. We did it all, chess clubs. cubs, choirs, trampolining, football of course, karate, scouts, table tennis pretty much anything where the cost was low or none

The reason for the Sunday school definitely wasnt to get me into the choir. My Roman Catholic Primary school put me into the choir at Worcester Cathedral in order to augment me into my secondary school (which happens to be on the back of an old 20 pound note) where the government paid a chunk of my fees and my dad had to work nights to pay the rest. When he couldnt afford his part anymore a teacher took over mine and my brothers payments at C3000 per term each. Humbling from a rough estate and was reading Great Expectations at the time. Me an Bro were Pip

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I went to Sunday school because my Mum was brought up Catholic in Ireland, so we did Sunday school and high mass at the old Catholic Church in Shoreham (converted to flats in the late 80s).

The whole experience was part boring and part eye opening as to how 'programmed' whole groups of adults could become. It was an immediate red flag in my mind. At least the priest kept his hands off the kids, which is more than can be said of the whiskey. He did mass completely plastered at times.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
After reading the post about the scabby nonce bitch getting into some poor little dribblers superman pants I think I'll make the decision for him thanks very much.

He cannot fail to be won over by this level of thought through, logical and well researched argument from your side.

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016
Brother wants to send his little boy to Sunday school and asked my opinion.

Personally I think anyone who teaches religion is a wrong un, best avoided, in positions where they are able to abuse.

What does NSC think?
No.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I went to Sunday school and never realised for many years why my dad had a lay down and mum was asked to take the News of The World up to him after I had gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here