Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many players do we need to get in the January transfer window?

How many players do we need to get in the January transfer window?

• 0 - we're just perfect as we are

Votes: 2 0.8%

Votes: 12 5.0%

Votes: 53 22.1%

Votes: 119 49.6%

Votes: 38 15.8%

Votes: 10 4.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 or more

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Three for me. A new central striker, and someone who can play off him, and boost our goal scoring ratio. Plus a new midfielder to compete for a place with Stephens and Propper.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I am not too worried about a defensive midfielder as Sidwell is on his way back and can do that job but we have nobody who looks like scoring a goal from CM.

I wonder what Sturridge would cost in fee and wages as he is only a bit player at Liverpool?

Sorry, but as much as l like him, l think Siddy is yesterdays man. Hasn't played in the Premier League for a very long time, and hasn't featured at all this season due to injury, hence to my mind at least, he needs replacing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two, or ideally three - in order of priority:
1). The mythical striker.
2). An experienced CB on loan so Goldson can go and get half a season in the Championship, and, if I'm being greedy.......
3). A strong and creative CM so that CH has a serious alternative to Stephens and Propper (who both probably need a rest anyway).

If we land those three it will be a brilliant window. Any more than three is just fantasy land - no point even thinking about it 'cos it ain't going to happen.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
3-4. Striker. Central Mdfielder to replace Stephens. Left Back. Maybe a right back if the Greyhound isn't up to it. But I think Bruno needs to be replaced now.

That's providing we don't sell any assets.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Two minimum are needed, PL quality striker and a central midfielder. The striker speaks for itself, and Pröpper and Stephens cannot do 38 games by themselves; having Kayal as the only fit back up fills me with concern. Someone like Grujic on loan, Ryan Woods or Acquah would be decent

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
2 PL-level strikers only please.Tthe other positions in the the squad can hopefully be coached in January to re-learn the basics of their trade e.g. how to defend corners, how to complete a five yard pass to a team mate etc. Else we're just setting out our stall for a series of 2-0 defeats for the remainder of the season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
2 essential...a striker and CM cover....plus potentially replacing anyone who leaves (although I expect Bloom to hold firm on selling, regardless of offers)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I believe he is on £120,000 a week, but I doubt they would allow him to go out on loan. Danny Ings would be more likely to go out on loan, but may still be beyond our means at £60,000 a week. Either player would be a gamble because of their injury history.

Would we want to blow all of our budget on a striker? Personally I would say yes, get the best possible player we can and pray he hits the ground running.

When they come on loan we don't necessarily have to pay the whole of their wages. If that was the case we would never have had Wayne Bridge on loan!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Two ideally. Striker and defensive midfield.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that whatever budget we have should go on the best striker we can get.

Think it's unrealistic to bring in more than two unless CH is VERY confident they could integrate seamlessly.
I went for 4.
2 strikers in case our new guy gets injured. An AM and a DM.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
When they come on loan we don't necessarily have to pay the whole of their wages. If that was the case we would never have had Wayne Bridge on loan!

True, but I would imagine both Sturridge and Ings, if available for loan, would have many admirers and would probably go to a team willing to pay the full whack plus a fee on top. Both Newcastle and West Ham could cover all of their wages.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh yes, totally forgot about him, but we did bill him as a Dev Squad singing.

We did indeed.

Would relegation be more probable than not without a striker?

I'd say more probable. Having said that, I'll hold my hands up and say I was almost certain that we were nailed on for relegation after we failed to sign a striker at the beginning of the season. I really did not expect us to have such a good start to the season, so what do I know.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here